• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  406
  • Days Won:  0

Late to the party, don't have time to read 86 pages.  Everything I read is that Oklahoma is pretty much set on leaving and Oklahoma State is in follow big brother mode.  Everything else I read, that claims Texas is going as well, shows that Texas is still having some doubts. The doubts come from having to share the revenue of the Longhorn Network.  I've read the proposed split and almost anyway you project it they will have to share that revenue, regardless of how the proposal sounds.  Also, I read that there is some concerns over the Pods and that some schools don't want to lose playing in California every year.  

This may sound nuts (I don't claim to know anything and am catching up), but why don't the remaining BIG EAST/BIG 12 Schools and the BIG 12 conference reach out (BEG) to Texas and give them what they want - the revenue from the Longhorn Network, A conference split, and a place for their olympic sports.  Doesn't sound like a horrible idea and the conference is probably overall better for football and basketball is not bad either (assuming UCONN and RU are good as gone)

Texas

Texas Tech

TCU

USF

Louisville

Kansas

Kansas State

Iowa State

Cincinnatti

Baylor

West Virginia (if they want)

Missouri (If they want)

BYU or Houston if we need a numbers

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,241

Surfing the net I am finding plenty of rumors and facts about what other teams ( Iowa State, Baylor, UConn, West Virginia,...) are doing, but very little about what USF is doing. This has me a bit worried.

This just tells you that the media has a lack of interest in us. No big deal.

I'm very confident we have more media interested in us than in Iowa State. We are either being extremely secretive (which cuse and pitt did) or we are riding out the big 12/east merger

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  2

Mission9, that's exactly it.  Despite our success in football (and affiliation with the best BBall conf), it is extremely rare that someone in STL recognizes our name or logo.  Big-boy conferences what those "name" schools that most people's mothers would recognize: brands.  Doesn't matter that Pitt/Cuse stink on the field, they can sell those names and attract advertisement money (if not actual viewers).

Perhaps our school should never have forced that "USF" label and instead stuck with "South Florida."  USF reminds most casual fans of UCF/FIU/FAU and can't tell them apart.  May shock most of you that even saying "FSU" outside of Florida draws a lot of blank stares -- have to say "Florida State."

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Late to the party, don't have time to read 86 pages.  Everything I read is that Oklahoma is pretty much set on leaving and Oklahoma State is in follow big brother mode.  Everything else I read, that claims Texas is going as well, shows that Texas is still having some doubts. The doubts come from having to share the revenue of the Longhorn Network.  I've read the proposed split and almost anyway you project it they will have to share that revenue, regardless of how the proposal sounds.  Also, I read that there is some concerns over the Pods and that some schools don't want to lose playing in California every year.  

This may sound nuts (I don't claim to know anything and am catching up), but why don't the remaining BIG EAST/BIG 12 Schools and the BIG 12 conference reach out (BEG) to Texas and give them what they want - the revenue from the Longhorn Network, A conference split, and a place for their olympic sports.  Doesn't sound like a horrible idea and the conference is probably overall better for football and basketball is not bad either (assuming UCONN and RU are good as gone)

Texas

Texas Tech

TCU

USF

Louisville

Kansas

Kansas State

Iowa State

Cincinnatti

Baylor

West Virginia (if they want)

Missouri (If they want)

BYU or Houston if we need a numbers

I like that idea. hope someone in power has the forethought. it seems the big 12 and BE are reactionary instead of proactive.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  162

I have it good authority that it is official-- the sky is falling

run for your lives

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Mission9, that's exactly it.  Despite our success in football (and affiliation with the best BBall conf), it is extremely rare that someone in STL recognizes our name or logo.  Big-boy conferences what those "name" schools that most people's mothers would recognize: brands.  Doesn't matter that Pitt/Cuse stink on the field, they can sell those names and attract advertisement money (if not actual viewers).

Perhaps our school should never have forced that "USF" label and instead stuck with "South Florida."  USF reminds most casual fans of UCF/FIU/FAU and can't tell them apart.  May shock most of you that even saying "FSU" outside of Florida draws a lot of blank stares -- have to say "Florida State."

I agree .they made a mistake in marketing us as USF. I've always liked south florida myself.

• Content Count:  4,642

+1

same for the chicago area.  no one outside of the south cares about most SEC schools let alone someone like FSU or USF.

• Content Count:  270

I agree .they made a mistake in marketing us as USF. I've always liked south florida myself.

I'll agree with that.  When I went to school ('87-'91) nobody called us USF.  It was always South Florida.  I guess they thought the directional made us appear small.  I occasionally run into people who think I went to San Francisco because of the "USF' acronym.  Jeez...

• Content Count:  231

Yeah I second that. Anytime you refer to a school by it's acronym, it leaves the possibility of confusion amongst the public outside of FL. Especially with such a young program. I like South Florida but the problem with that is we're not really in South Florida. They should just call us the New U :).

Archived