• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF/Big East Realignment Discussion Thread

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

north -  ND   Pitt   Syracuse  BC

south - USF   FSU   Miami   G Tech

Virginias - V Tech  Virginia  Maryland clemson

Carolinas - UNC  nc state   wake   duke

ND would run away with it's division most years.

VT would slaughter it's division even worse.

UNC would be unchallenged.

The South division would be the most compelling race. Probably between FSU/GT most years.

those are 3 natural rivals to ND and all 3 have done pretty well lately.

v tech has slaughtered everyone in the acc lately anyway. maryland and clemson can make a run though.

easy road for unc but state could step up occasionally. UNC runs the ACC so they won't mind.

south would be tough but some great rivalries could be started.

• Replies 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  31,049
  • Days Won:  172

We're a middling ACC school with regards to research expenditures.

US News rates us poorly for a variety of reasons, but nobody outside of bloggers uses this as a metric.

But our research expenditures are growing pretty quickly compared to other schools.  Several more traditional schools are in decline right now.  Right now we're in the top 60 for Federal research money and have seen privately funded research grow as well.  There's also the attempt to grow a type of "research triangle" up in north Tampa like what's in the Raleigh area that just began in the past year - a partnership with business and USF.

Or we could start a new "research triangle" with USF, UCF, and Lakeland Poly! LOL

More like a research line

Or add FIT and make it a research rhombus!!  >:D

The North Carolina schools (who pretty much run the conference) won't want us because of our academics and the fact that we will cut even further into their recruiting in FL.  Miami won't want us there because we are already making up ground against them without being in a conference that is perceived as just as good as the ACC so we will really hurt them once we are in the same conference and the NCAA slaps them down with big time penalties.  FSU could go either way but I just don't see how having a 3rd ACC team from FL helps them in any way to realistically argue for our addition.  AS far as our market I think between FSU and Miami the ACC already has a big time presence in the state of FL so really it's just over saturation.  This is why Cuse and Pitt were added, new markets, Pennsylvania is a solid talent producing state to boot.  If they were to add Uconn and Rutgers it would just be about further securing the NYC market and getting two schools with strong academics who aren't really a threat to the schools that run the conference in football.  We really bring nothing to the ACC that it doesn't already have.  If the SEC plucks out FSU I Think we have a great shot but outside of that scenario I think we don't bring enough to the table that makes up for us hurting the schools that are already in the conference.  I hope I'm wrong but that's how i see it.  

research we are ranked ahead of at least half the acc including UConn, rutgers and cuse. this seems to be the big thing in big 10 as they are all AAU members.

UNC might want to travel to central florida to in fact improve their recruiting.teams do this by playing in front of recruits and their families on road trips.

FSU and miami are dominated by the gators and the sec in central florida. they have little to no presence. if they wanted to start a network we would be huge in capturing the entire state.

and anybody who thinks rutgers, uconn, or syracuse carry the nyc market has never been there.

• Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Hopefully, the ACC takes a deep breath and asks itself, "Have we really improved the perception of our football, by adding Pitt and Syracuse and will the addition of UConn and Rutgers be better or worse in that regard?"

Clearly, with the two new additions and the others the ACC will be perceived as the worst of the other three major conferences and most likely even worse than the leftover conference.

• Content Count:  9,687
  • Days Won:  8

You know what actually is the best thing for USF, if we could convince ND to be a package deal and then offer ourselves to SEC or ACC....

I mean c'mon... every single advantage we just discussed about USF to the ACC

What about the SEC... the SEC gains just as much as the ACC would by adding us and you would think that they would each want to block us from joining the other if they could...

If USF and ND could get together as a packaged deal I don't see how either could say no to that combination of national following and recruiting exposure.

The only plausible thing I can see is the ACC saying USF academics are not good enough and feeling that they already have enough of a presence in Florida, but who would they take instead of us?

The SEC I could see turning down ND because they're not really 'southeast' but they would be hard to pass up.

Anyway... It seems that USF could be in a really good spot here for the ACC or SEC possibly wanting to keep USF away from the other, and a possible 3rd conference out of the state.

Just think if the other SEC teams got to double their visits to FL. I imagine they would love it.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Doubt that. They haven't been able to fill their stadiums for couple years prior to this season. I have no idea how you think FSU can control the ACC. Do you have a source?

I have been reading the FSU boards and on our 247 board Corey and Josh have been pretty honest about this relating to the ACC.

FSU certainly doesn't control the ACC, but they could certainly side with the schools in NC, who most likely would be opposed to us.

• Content Count:  771
  • Days Won:  0

You know what actually is the best thing for USF, if we could convince ND to be a package deal and then offer ourselves to SEC or ACC....

I mean c'mon... every single advantage we just discussed about USF to the ACC

What about the SEC... the SEC gains just as much as the ACC would by adding us and you would think that they would each want to block us from joining the other if they could...

If USF and ND could get together as a packaged deal I don't see how either could say no to that combination of national following and recruiting exposure.

The only plausible thing I can see is the ACC saying USF academics are not good enough and feeling that they already have enough of a presence in Florida, but who would they take instead of us?

The SEC I could see turning down ND because they're not really 'southeast' but they would be hard to pass up.

Anyway... It seems that USF could be in a really good spot here for the ACC or SEC possibly wanting to keep USF away from the other, and a possible 3rd conference out of the state.

Just think if the other SEC teams got to double their visits to FL. I imagine they would love it.

why would nd do that.  they can get in to any conference on their own.

• Content Count:  213
  • Days Won:  1

If the 9 Big 12 schools stay to together (Texas and OU) are we screwed or part of a great football conference when you consider adding the 7 Big East schools?  There seems to be a recent push to keep the Big 12 together and I'm not sure if I want TX and OU to leave or stay.  Major upgrade if we end up in this 16 team conference but I do not want too get greedy.  Should we pull to have them stay together or go to the PAC 12?????

Doubt that. They haven't been able to fill their stadiums for couple years prior to this season. I have no idea how you think FSU can control the ACC. Do you have a source?

I have been reading the FSU boards and on our 247 board Corey and Josh have been pretty honest about this relating to the ACC.

FSU certainly doesn't control the ACC, but they could certainly side with the schools in NC, who most likely would be opposed to us.

who would they bring in instead if ND joined?

none of those other schools bring the research we do.(important to nc schools)

none bring the tv market.

none the recruiting territory.

they brought in syracuse and pitt because they are rivals of ND. pitt has played them almost every year for 100 years. they want the golden goose.

you guys are being shortsighted.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  6,993
  • Days Won:  12

Espn article regarding big east meeting tonight says no decisions to be made, and officials are keeping an eye on Big 12 situation. I have zero confidence in this passive, thumb-twiddling approach. I hope Genshaft and woolard GTFO and ditch this group.

One chance to grow a pair and be proactive and the big east lays an egg

Archived