• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Michael McFarland officially a Bull

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Well it sounds like Skip may be serious about using the TE position.

I don't recall any TE's being a major part of the offense on past teams except down near the goaline.

I do recall that we used Cedric Hill a lot but that is the only name I can think of that was consistently part of the offense and not just a blocker.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

I don't recall any TE's being a major part of the offense on past teams except down near the goaline.

I do recall that we used Cedric Hill a lot but that is the only name I can think of that was consistently part of the offense and not just a blocker.

He should be serious about the position because it's a valuable one to have and one we really haven't utilized well in our history.

We did have a real good TE in Trevor Hypolite at the beginning of the program, but we strayed from that soon after he left.

• Content Count:  1,777
  • Days Won:  0

He should be serious about the position because it's a valuable one to have and one we really haven't utilized well in our history.

We did have a real good TE in Trevor Hypolite at the beginning of the program, but we strayed from that soon after he left.

+1 on the Trevor Hypolite reference. believe he was a transfer from another SEC team, Kentucky.

• Content Count:  158
  • Days Won:  1

I think Andreas Shields in on the verge of a breakout season.  His problem the last couple seasons has been staying healthy but he's 100% now and if he can stay like that he should help out the offense quite a bit.

• Content Count:  2,653
  • Days Won:  2

I think Andreas Shields in on the verge of a breakout season.  His problem the last couple seasons has been staying healthy but he's 100% now and if he can stay like that he should help out the offense quite a bit.

I agree. He showed flashes of it last season.

• Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

Not a lot of true TE's in the spread.

• Content Count:  3,649
  • Days Won:  4

Not a lot of true TE's in the spread.

What is our offense called now?

I could never really nail down "What" our offense is.

Looked liked the "spread" under Barnhart/Blackwell.

Looked like a Running Offense without a QB in the Banks/Julmiste era.

Looked like a "Run-read option" under Grothe and Year 1 of BJ.

Last year......I don't know what that was.....looked different almost every game.  ;D

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

I call our offense chameleon

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

medical scholarships as you call them are not an NCAA mandated or regulated situation, or rather their regulation only extends to if/when a player tries to return from the circumstance the NCAA wants to make sure a school wasn't using this set-up to screw with their NCAA mandated scholarship numbers.  As I've read and been explained countless times in the past it is simply a school moving a player from an athletic scholarship to another non-athletic scholarship sponsored by the athletic department for health reasons. 

But players certainly can return from the medical scholarships...their playing days aren't over at all.  Schools do this, and where the NCAA keeps an eye on it to make sure no hanky panky goes on here, is the player must be on a sustained medical hiatus.  For example the athlete at BC who had cancer, and missed 16 months, but returned last season and played.  He was placed on a medical scholarship, there's two reasons the NCAA watches this and that is because when players go on this scholarship it both freezes their eligibility, and allows them to return, and makes sure the schools aren't putting a bunch of kids on these to get more scholarships, and fool with the red-shirt rules.

To put simply Kauffmann can come back....but he will need to sit for at least a year while on that scholarship before returning.

Also don't expect McFarland to be exclusively a TE.  He's got so much athleticism for other positions.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Gotta love versatile athletic jumbo athletes like McFarland.  I really hope he chooses to stay close to home. 

Archived