• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Expansion... BYU, ECU, UCF...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

Don'tPushMe...mind if i push?

Ok lets start with the mormon thing...yes, you are correct.  The mormon religion is crazy but yes, the city of Salt Lake and the surrounding areas are gorgeous, been there many times. 

Next, they(UCF) are NOT out recruiting us now.  Look up reports.  They've gotten a few guys under the radar from us the past couple years (mainly cause of the CJL turmoil).  But things are getting back to normal and we would still wipe the floor with them.  Lets not forget that we get a few recruits from under the radar of some even "bigger" boys, ala Giddens, Dunkley, Eatmon...etc.

Next...their campus is NOT nicer than ours.  Unless a campus is supposed to look like a strip mall.  Have you been to USF's campus lately?  Even if you have...have some pride.  I think it's far better. 

Next...Orlando a "bigger" city?  No...DISNEY is a bigger name than tampa.  NOT Orlando.  I hate it when people put outlandish opinions on here and dont rely more on FACTS. 

Who has the bigger TV market?  TAMPA 

Who has more Professional Sports teams? TAMPA

Which town has more culture and cultural events per year? TAMPA

Now if you were judging on which town has more TOURISTS...yeah...maybe Orlando, Tampa Bay Area has beaches though.  AND I gurrantee they arent going to east o-town where florida tech/ucf is.  They're staying in the Buena Vista area...which is closer to Tampa anyway.

Finally, Figure it out DontPushMe...UCF wouldn't beat us if they were in the Big East...cause they're BUMS.  Thats a fact.  ;)

8va out...

GO BULLS!!!

To clarify. I said they are nearly out recruiting us now. We are still ahead in recruiting, but its not by the margin you would expect all things considered. I'm sure a lot of it is CJL turnover stuff, but the facts are they were not far behind us in that regaurd last year.

Its not about pride, but their athletic area is brand new and to a high school kid would look nicer than ours. Their stadium is a piece of crap, but its on campus and its part of their whole athletic center. A kid in high school doesnt know or care that its in a dump part of town, they just see a bunch of new modern looking buildings and are wowed. Our campus is niether an old historic looking campus like UF, or a modern new campus like UCFs, it is stuck in between. I love our campus and prefer it to UCFs, but I dont think a nationwide poll would agree.

You should re-read my post. I didn't say Orlando was a bigger city than Tampa, its not, that is an easily available fact. They do have some things over Tampa though. I promise you if you did a name recognition poll nation or especially world-wide Orlando would win over Tampa. Once again, not saying its better, I obviously prefer Tampa or I wouldnt live over here, but I just dont think the average high school senior thinks that way.

I don't think kids give a **** about the city. If they did, no one would go to UF.

LOL ... I was thinking the same thing ... If Orlando has a better name recogntion it's because of one thing, and one thing only, Disney ... and what does that have to do with a high school football player's decision on where to play football??

You guys are taking little pieces of a whole and blowing them up to try and discredit them. Its like youre trying to convince yourselves.

Obviously kids go to UF, Alabama, Michigan etc for a completely different reason than the city. However when you are comparing 2 schools (which is all we are doing here), both of whom have 0 tradition or history of success to speak of, you obviously look at different factors. By far, our biggest bargaining chip against them is conference affiliation, eliminate that (which some of you for some odd reason want to do) and it comes down to things like coaching staff, current depth charts, city, campus etc. All very subjective things that change over time. We would not stay ahead of them forever, and you are foolish to think we would.

As far as thinking Tampa is more well known than Orlando, I have no idea where you get this from. No one outside of the US has heard of Tampa (unless they follow american sports) and i still consistently run into people in places like California who havent heard of Tampa. I say I'm from tampa and can see they don't know what it is, so I have to reference it in relation to Orlando and Miami.

You all are such homers that you have me defending a school and city that I cant stand. Just be realistic about things, pretending that Tampa is a more recognizable city than Orlando doesnt make it true.

Forbes top 10 most visited cities:

Orlando, Fla.: 48 million visitors

New York City: 47 million visitors

Chicago, Ill.: 45,580,000 visitors

Anaheim/Orange County, Calif.: 42,700,000 visitors

Miami, Fla: 38,100,000 visitors

Las Vegas, Nev.: 36,351,469 visitors

Atlanta, Ga.: 35,400,000 visitors

Houston, Texas: 31,060,000 visitors

Philadelphia, Pa.: 30,320,000 visitors

San Diego, California: 29,600,000 visitors

Keep in mind, Disney on average gets 17 million visitors a year, so clearly its more than that. There is a lot to do there. Come to grips with it.

FYI, Tampa/St Pete came in around 20th at 17 million visitors a year.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  168

I personally beleive the TCU coach has it right. He beleives that a 9 team league is the proper amount of teams. He was complaining about how the Big 12 could not play any easy out of conference games to warm up. He also said that the only teams they got to play were the same conference teams every year.

With 12 teams, you either have to skip some of the conference teams,(which will cause problems with unfair scheduling)

With 9 teams you get to play every team every year. You also get to play a tough OCC team or two and two or three easy games.

The TCU coach felt that the reason he was able to do so well is because he could have more control of his schedule. He could put easy games in at the start to get the team set before the hard schedule started.

He seams to have done better than any of us. Maybe we should listen to him.

He

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,519
  • Days Won:  422

You guys are taking little pieces of a whole and blowing them up to try and discredit them. Its like youre trying to convince yourselves.

Obviously kids go to UF, Alabama, Michigan etc for a completely different reason than the city. However when you are comparing 2 schools (which is all we are doing here), both of whom have 0 tradition or history of success to speak of, you obviously look at different factors. By far, our biggest bargaining chip against them is conference affiliation, eliminate that (which some of you for some odd reason want to do) and it comes down to things like coaching staff, current depth charts, city, campus etc. All very subjective things that change over time. We would not stay ahead of them forever, and you are foolish to think we would.

As far as thinking Tampa is more well known than Orlando, I have no idea where you get this from. No one outside of the US has heard of Tampa (unless they follow american sports) and i still consistently run into people in places like California who havent heard of Tampa. I say I'm from tampa and can see they don't know what it is, so I have to reference it in relation to Orlando and Miami.

You all are such homers that you have me defending a school and city that I cant stand. Just be realistic about things, pretending that Tampa is a more recognizable city than Orlando doesnt make it true.

Forbes top 10 most visited cities:

Orlando, Fla.: 48 million visitors

New York City: 47 million visitors

Chicago, Ill.: 45,580,000 visitors

Anaheim/Orange County, Calif.: 42,700,000 visitors

Miami, Fla: 38,100,000 visitors

Las Vegas, Nev.: 36,351,469 visitors

Atlanta, Ga.: 35,400,000 visitors

Houston, Texas: 31,060,000 visitors

Philadelphia, Pa.: 30,320,000 visitors

San Diego, California: 29,600,000 visitors

Keep in mind, Disney on average gets 17 million visitors a year, so clearly its more than that. There is a lot to do there. Come to grips with it.

FYI, Tampa/St Pete came in around 20th at 17 million visitors a year.

I'm not sure about the other "homers" on this subject, but I'm willing to bet that 99.9%, or more, of potential college football recruits have heard of Tampa ... and that's ALL this "homer" is saying .. and that's ALL that really matters in this part of the conversation. City is a non-factor when comparing our 2 schools ... unless it's something on a completely personal level like family, girlfriends, etc. ... and just for the record, I do agree with you that we shouldn't want them in the BE.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Now that Nova is out of the picture

Since when?

Since CBS Sportsline reported that BEast insiders stated that the conference is looking for a school that has a 30K+ stadium... Nova does not have the money to build their own stadium, can only use an MLS stadium that can only be expanded to 20K, and can't use the Eagles stadium because Temple has a concrete lock on it.

Unless God gives Nova the money to build a massive BCS sized stadium for their football team, which only has about 7K in fans, maybe 10K if they join the BEast, then they are out.

Guess you missed where Villanova was in discussions about the stadium on the University of Pennsylvania campus.

Read New England Bulls post... he nails why Penn Stadium is not going to be enough to get Nova into the BEast as a football team by the 2012 deadline set by the BEast Commish / tv contract.

Penn Stadium is huge, seats about 52K, but its in the worst part of Philadelphia... Nova is a private, Northeast rich kid university... now I could be wrong, and its just my opinion but I don't see the students / fan base / alumni being okay with playing in a crap hole that is falling down.

Penn University is trying to get the state / city to repair the stadium... its basically worse off then the ole Orange Bowl was when it was still standing.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Its not about pride, but their athletic area is brand new and to a high school kid would look nicer than ours. Their stadium is a piece of crap, but its on campus and its part of their whole athletic center. A kid in high school doesnt know or care that its in a dump part of town, they just see a bunch of new modern looking buildings and are wowed. Our campus is niether an old historic looking campus like UF, or a modern new campus like UCFs, it is stuck in between. I love our campus and prefer it to UCFs, but I dont think a nationwide poll would agree.

Well, I believe it was a statewide poll back in 2007 that put USF as one of the most aesthetically pleasing schools in the state citing our plantlife (grass, gardens, whatever) and eclectic architecture. I'll try to find the article.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Please do not put all of your eggs in the Unv. of Penn. Stadium. It is a dump in a sorry part of town with absolutly no parking. No way the BE goes for this. Further, no one is going to drive from Radnor, PA to that part of Phila. Not going to happen.

I'm not putting the eggs there. However, that would be a suitable enough venue to play at for a while to where 'Nova could raise funds to expand their OCS.

Wasn't there an article a while back that mentioned they have bought up the land in the surrounding area of the stadium?

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Having said that we would have expansion settled by the time we negotiate a new tv contract in 2012, it doesn't sound to me like we're staying at 9. And I'mpretty sure 10 is not the number they're aiming at.

9 is best for right now since there isn't another program out there that would really help with the TV deal ('Nova would from the standpoint of landing the Philly market for the TV package, but the league would not be adding value to the product, nor would it by adding any of the C-USA teams that have been mentioned).

• Content Count:  1,238

Short of Villanova somehow coming up with the money to build a new 40k seat stadium on their campus, they are completely done as an option for BE expansion. Theyre not going to play their home games on another schools campus (how small time is that?), theyre not playing at the linc, and the soccer stadium, though nice, doesnt have nearly the capacity.

I want them to get in, because its one less open spot for a school like UCF, but its not happening.

• Content Count:  639

Don'tPushMe...mind if i push?

Ok lets start with the mormon thing...yes, you are correct.  The mormon religion is crazy but yes, the city of Salt Lake and the surrounding areas are gorgeous, been there many times. 

Next, they(UCF) are NOT out recruiting us now.  Look up reports.  They've gotten a few guys under the radar from us the past couple years (mainly cause of the CJL turmoil).  But things are getting back to normal and we would still wipe the floor with them.  Lets not forget that we get a few recruits from under the radar of some even "bigger" boys, ala Giddens, Dunkley, Eatmon...etc.

Next...their campus is NOT nicer than ours.  Unless a campus is supposed to look like a strip mall.  Have you been to USF's campus lately?  Even if you have...have some pride.  I think it's far better. 

Next...Orlando a "bigger" city?  No...DISNEY is a bigger name than tampa.  NOT Orlando.  I hate it when people put outlandish opinions on here and dont rely more on FACTS. 

Who has the bigger TV market?  TAMPA 

Who has more Professional Sports teams? TAMPA

Which town has more culture and cultural events per year? TAMPA

Now if you were judging on which town has more TOURISTS...yeah...maybe Orlando, Tampa Bay Area has beaches though.  AND I gurrantee they arent going to east o-town where florida tech/ucf is.  They're staying in the Buena Vista area...which is closer to Tampa anyway.

Finally, Figure it out DontPushMe...UCF wouldn't beat us if they were in the Big East...cause they're BUMS.  Thats a fact.  ;)

8va out...

GO BULLS!!!

To clarify. I said they are nearly out recruiting us now. We are still ahead in recruiting, but its not by the margin you would expect all things considered. I'm sure a lot of it is CJL turnover stuff, but the facts are they were not far behind us in that regaurd last year.

You should re-read my post. I didn't say Orlando was a bigger city than Tampa, its not, that is an easily available fact. They do have some things over Tampa though. I promise you if you did a name recognition poll nation or especially world-wide Orlando would win over Tampa. Once again, not saying its better, I obviously prefer Tampa or I wouldnt live over here, but I just dont think the average high school senior thinks that way.

fair post except the part of town, East Orlando/Oviedo is actually a nice part of town with more college bars for students in comparison to where the part of Temple Terrace/Tampa where USF is located. Just a general observation of the culture of both schools, heard a lot of USF players will celebrate a victory at Ybor or Channelside miles from campus while UCF players are seen at spots in the immediate ucf area. Somewhat overlooked but I think the town atmosphere within a large metro area helps with recruiting w/ students and student athletes. That is probably seen first hand when they visit

• Content Count:  4,642

while UCF can bring a TV market, they won't be able to pitch it without a better product (football team) in that market.  maybe UCF will be part of a package where if we land _____ school and add ______ market, then the contract price goes up.  or maybe not.  who knows.

the BE is dealing with tons and tons of (potential) money, so I'm sure they'll weigh every scenario especially if "we're going last in negotiations".  and trust me, if UCF would bring that instantaneous advantage, then they would have gotten an invite long ago.

Archived