• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Big East Expansion... BYU, ECU, UCF...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

Skip Holtz thinks the Big East should move to a 12 member conference, and I couldn't agree more for the same reasoning.  See below...

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/holtz-questions-sense-10-big-east-football-teams

The reasoning to not be at 10 is spot on, but that doesn't mean it's best to just go to 12. The league should stay put at 9.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

don't think BYU would want to play every conference away game in a different time zone, most cases 2 time zones east

• Content Count:  8,044
  • Days Won:  9

Skip Holtz thinks the Big East should move to a 12 member conference, and I couldn't agree more for the same reasoning.  See below...

http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/bulls/content/holtz-questions-sense-10-big-east-football-teams

The reasoning to not be at 10 is spot on, but that doesn't mean it's best to just go to 12. The league should stay put at 9.

This exactly.  Unless there is a significant boost on the revenue end I don't see a point in adding to 10 or even 12 teams.  None of the teams available are exciting.  I also don't see any of them adding more value then they would gain.  Adding a team team that breaks even barely makes sense.

Nine is a good number.  We should negotiate the TV contract and see if it puts us in a revenue realm to try and lure some lower tier ACC or Big 12 teams.  If in 2-3 years we're still not in a position to snatch one of those teams, then take a good hard look at adding the current teams on the table.  They're not going anywhere.

• Content Count:  1,075
  • Days Won:  2

The bottom line to me is that if the league thought there were any other truly worthy candidates like TCU, they would have invited them already.  9 is better than 10 for balanced schedules like Skip said.  It is either gonna be 9 or 12 imo, but I dont think they are gonna jump to 12 that quickly.  Maybe in a few years.  The thought of a 20 team BBall league is pretty rediculous though... 

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

Apparently the Big East was trying to get BYU to join as a football only member and BYU said no...

http://www.nunesmagician.com/2011/5/19/2179655/rumor-mill-big-east-approaches-byu-about-football-only-membership

Also I heard that there are rumors about ECU and UCF being pushed and a possibility of the Big East going to 12 teams... has anyone else heard any of this...  ???

no quality school would take that deal

big east will be stuck with terrible schools

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

stay at 9

if orlando school joins usf is in trouble

• Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

The bottom line to me is that if the league thought there were any other truly worthy candidates like TCU, they would have invited them already.  9 is better than 10 for balanced schedules like Skip said.  It is either gonna be 9 or 12 imo, but I dont think they are gonna jump to 12 that quickly.  Maybe in a few years.  The thought of a 20 team BBall league is pretty rediculous though...   

I agree, but think eventually from a revenue perspective and ability to compete with the larger conferences 12 is the way to go.  Also, it provides a bit of protection or cushion if a team is later raided. 

I like college basketball, but love college football, so I am all about what serves football best and deal with ancillary issues later. 

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

Please leave BYU out of the Big East. It's bad enough we have to tailgate at TCU. BYU is a glorified cult in an a$$ backwards state. My grandfather was Mormon. He raised my mom Catholic for a reason. Needless to say... I had a business partner that was Mormon and his BYU wife screamed all the virtues of their religion at me daily. The whole time they were skimming money off the books doing a rehab on their personal residence. I'm not an Obama fan, but he would get my vote before Romney. My dislike runs deep. Hopefully UCF joins the conference so we can continue our domination on them in football. I miss beating our little brother to the east. If a Leavitt coached team can hang 64 on UCF, imagine what Skip could do to them.

Forget 20... try 24.

If the Big East stays together, you can expect if there are 12 football teams, there will be 12 basketball teams. 

That could be interesting... for basketball it could be two 12-team divisions that mostly play each other with some "mirror" games and then an interesting tournament.

As strange as it sounds, it's not that hard to imagine.  Three out of: ECU/Tulane/Memphis/UCF/Houston in football... Three out of: Dayton/Xavier/Richmond/St. Louis/George Mason/etc in Olympic sports

But even Coach Calhoun at U Conn thinks there will be a football/basketball split when the next TV contract expires.

• Content Count:  1,238
  • Days Won:  0

Please leave BYU out of the Big East. It's bad enough we have to tailgate at TCU. BYU is a glorified cult in an a$$ backwards state. My grandfather was Mormon. He raised my mom Catholic for a reason. Needless to say... I had a business partner that was Mormon and his BYU wife screamed all the virtues of their religion at me daily. The whole time they were skimming money off the books doing a rehab on their personal residence. I'm not an Obama fan, but he would get my vote before Romney. My dislike runs deep. Hopefully UCF joins the conference so we can continue our domination on them in football. I miss beating our little brother to the east. If a Leavitt coached team can hang 64 on UCF, imagine what Skip could do to them.

You are a fool. You are basing your opinion of mormons off a few people. I can just as easily make a broad generality about Catholics molesting boys.

Salt Lake City is a great city. One of my favorite in the country. Youve probably never been there. It is one of the most naturally beautiful bigish cities in the country. The city is in a strip of land sandwiched between the salt lake and the rockies. Downtown salt lake has huge snowy mountains backdropping it. Say what you want about the rediculous things the mormon religion speaks, but in general they are a peaceful happy people that dont harm anyone. I have a client that lives in Salt Lake, and when i was in town he took me on a tour of downtown, including dinner at Brigham Young's old house. The whole area is beautiful and well kept up. I'd love to make a trip there now and then for a BYU game.

saltlakecity1.jpg

And wanting UCF in the BE is a rediculous idea. They are nearly out recruiting us now without BCS affiliation or any history of success. Their campus is nicer than ours, and they are in a city with a better nationwide image (right or wrong) than tampa. If they are in the BE we wouldnt be beating up on them every year.

Archived