• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vernon Hargreaves III, CB, Wharton HS **2013**

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  91
  • Content Count:  1,716
  • Days Won:  9

is that Sherritt with a USF shirt on in the picture

No. That's Chase Litton from Wharton.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/recruiting/player-Chase-Litton-123448

I don't think he will play here. He was recently charged with a felony.

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/prep-sports/2012/feb/09/4/wharton-football-players-charged-in-burglaries-the-ar-356987/

I was trying to find the players on "Team Tampa" and found this photo gallery. I would love to have one of these guys commit. I'm sure that it would start a domino effect.

http://southflorida.scout.com/2/1169355.html

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042
  • Days Won:  10

is that Sherritt with a USF shirt on in the picture

I think that's Sherritt in the back of the picture with the burgundy colored shirt on.

• 2 weeks later...

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Strange tweet from a Gator fan

“@RivalsCNee: Five-star RT @VHargreaves24 Florida showed up at practice ! #GatorNation #TheSwampâ€. All USF.

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

Strange tweet from a Gator fan

“@RivalsCNee: Five-star RT @VHargreaves24 Florida showed up at practice ! #GatorNation #TheSwampâ€. All USF.

All I'm seeing is the following from Chris. Did he remove the "All USF" part?

3h Rivals100_challenge_normal.jpgChris Nee †@RivalsCNee

Five-star RT @VHargreaves24 Florida showed up at practice ! #GatorNation #TheSwamp

Expand

• Topic Count:  731
  • Content Count:  10,367
  • Days Won:  40

Chris tweeted it without the "All USF" comment. It was added by a die hard gator fan. Not sure why, but I thought it was curious that they are thinking, he's ours. Didn't mean to mislead. Kind of tweet speak garbled transmission.

Edited by Bullwinkle

• Topic Count:  54
  • Content Count:  763
  • Days Won:  0

NP. I don't tweet so learning the in and outs of retweets, hash tags and whatnot is ongoing.

• Topic Count:  170
  • Content Count:  5,722
  • Days Won:  8

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2012/5/18/3028568/vernon-hargreaves-recruit-cornerback-tampa-usf-florida-state-alabama

Hargreaves is still very open to a number of schools.

Follow @sbnation on Twitter, and Like SBNation.com on Facebook.

May 18, 2012 - Vernon Hargreaves III is the son of a college coach, probably the best defensive back recruit in the country, and he happens to play just down the road from my house. So, of course the Tampa (Fla.) Wharton High School got a visit during SB Nation's spring recruiting coverage. Hargreaves stands 5'11 and weighs in at 180 pounds. He is a consensus five-star recruit with offers from all over the country including Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, South Carolina, Stanford, South Florida, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Washington, Wisconsin and USC.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,042

http://www.sbnation....a-state-alabama

May 18, 2012 - Vernon Hargreaves III is the son of a college coach, probably the best defensive back recruit in the country, and he happens to play just down the road from my house. So, of course the Tampa (Fla.) Wharton High School got a visit during SB Nation's spring recruiting coverage. Hargreaves stands 5'11 and weighs in at 180 pounds. He is a consensus five-star recruit with offers from all over the country including Alabama, Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Florida State, LSU, Miami, Michigan, Notre Dame, Ohio State, Penn State, South Carolina, Stanford, South Florida, Tennessee, Texas A&M, Washington, Wisconsin and USC.

With his dad coaching at USF, many believe Hargreaves is a strong lean to the Bulls.

"I can't really comment on that. They can think whatever they want, but just because he coaches there doesn't mean I'm going to go there. I mean, he could leave. A lot of people don't think about that. But I don't really care about what people think," Hargreaves said.

Well, that doesn't sound reaffirming.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  182
  • Days Won:  2

http://www.sbnation....a-state-alabama

With his dad coaching at USF, many believe Hargreaves is a strong lean to the Bulls.

"I can't really comment on that. They can think whatever they want, but just because he coaches there doesn't mean I'm going to go there. I mean, he could leave. A lot of people don't think about that. But I don't really care about what people think," Hargreaves said.

Well, that doesn't sound reaffirming.

VH3 has been saying that from the beginning. If he chooses to go to USF, I really don't think it will be because of his dad. I know that USF probably wouldn't be in the picture without his dad, but that got our foot in the door, and it's up to Skip and the teams performance this year to persuade him. The kid seems to have a good head on his shoulders, and he seems to genuinely like the staff and the school.

Come signing day, I think he's a Bull. I wouldn't be surprised if he went to a bigger program, but everything I've read leads me to believe that he loves USF, and we are clearly the favorite right now.

I just hope we can hold on, and that he can convince some of the other local talent to stay with him and build something for the Tampa community.

• Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,518

TAMPA --

When Vernon Hargreaves III first learned he was rated as the No. 1-ranked defensive back in the nation by ESPN earlier this spring, he thought someone could be playing a prank on him.

''Someone sent me a link to it on Twitter and I clicked on it. I looked at the list and I was like 'What? Really? C'mon, who's messing with me?' '' Hargreaves said. "I was shocked."

But after getting out of school later that day at Wharton High, Hargreaves called his dad, Vernon Hargreaves Jr., an assistant football coach at the University of South Florida. He, too, had heard the stunning news, which included rating his son as the No. 4 player in the country for all positions.

Dad knew it was no joke. He has seen his son play plenty of times. And he has talked to recruiters at other schools about his son, as well as those on USF's staff. They all have said the same thing about the 5-foot-11, 185-pound standout: He's one of the best cover cornerbacks available in the 2013 class.

Entering his spring jamboree game tonight against Tampa Bay Tech, Hargreaves owns 40 offers from Division I college football programs, including his dad's, which was the first.

''Obviously, I've probably watched him play more than anybody but the thing about seeing someone that much, you see the warts as well,'' said Hargreaves Jr., who coaches defensive ends at USF. ''But I've seen some of the good things he's done in games, camps and 7-on-7 and there's been plenty of times I've said to myself, 'Man, he is pretty good.' ''

As much as he is enjoying the notoriety, Hargreaves said he has a hard time believing how fast his stock has rocketed. Interest from college recruiters picked up noticeably following a combine he attended staged by Elite Scouting Services. There, he posted some impressive numbers, like a 40-yard dash in 4.4 seconds.

But the combine's president, Charles Fishbein, says it was Hargreaves' performances in one-on-one drills that consistently floors him and college scouts.

''The way I evaluate a cornerback is by looking at their hips and their ability to transition from their backpedal to (running) side to side to running the other direction,'' Fishbein said. ''Some guys seem to do that so effortlessly, it's almost like they flip their hips over because they lose very little speed or momentum.

"That's what's so amazing about (Hargreaves). He is just so natural in that transition. You can't teach that and that's what makes him such a good cover corner.''

Hargreaves believes playing 7-on-7 touch football last summer for Team Tampa also improved his visibility among college scouts. The squad featured some of the area's top players, including Armwood safety Leon McQuay III and receiver Alvin Bailey, Jesuit receiver Travis Johnson and Hillsborough defensive end Jordan Sherit. The team traveled to several area tournaments, including one at the IMG Academies in Bradenton, where more college scouts saw him.

Wharton coach David Mitchell has never put much stock in how players look in 7-on-7 tournaments or what scouting services say. To him, the only thing that counts is how hard his players work in the weight room and practice and how they perform on Friday nights. On that score, Mitchell said Hargreaves ranks among his best Wharton players.

''He's the first guy in everything for us — first guy to get dressed out, first guy in the weight room, the first guy at practice,'' Mitchell said. ''And on the field, he's a darn good player. Like some people say, 'I'm from Missouri, the Show Me state, so show me what you can do.' Vernon's done that."

Mitchell said Hargreaves also owns two other very appealing qualities: his grade-point average and his pedigree. In the classroom, Hargreaves carries above a 3.5 GPA and, as the son of a college coach and former player, a deeper understanding of the game and the work ethic expected of an elite athlete.

Hargreaves' father said his son's good grades and positive attitude are a product of what he and his wife, Jackie, have tried to instill in their son from an early age. And having been around the game since he could walk, Hargreaves has seen firsthand what it takes to succeed at the highest level.

Before arriving at USF with Bulls coach Skip Holtz from East Carolina University, the elder Hargreaves coached eight seasons at Miami. It was in Miami where the younger Hargreaves was exposed to that level of commitment when he would turn up at camps as young as age 5. At the same time, his parents encouraged him to go outside and play sports, organized or not.

''He enjoys and understands the game and when you understand it, that's huge because it makes things a lot easier," Hargreaves' father said.

With the help of his parents and coaches, Hargreaves says he won't let the rankings ''go to my head.''

''It's a little bit of pressure being ranked so high because it does come with a lot of responsibility,'' the younger Hargreaves said. ''I'm just going to play my game and do my best and just enjoy it.''

http://www2.tbo.com/sports/prep-sports/2012/may/24/3/no-joke-hes-among-nations-elite-ar-407227/