• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Future at QB?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,780
  • Days Won:  7

Plz move if you disagree with where I placed this post

http://www.baynews9.com/article/sports/2010/october/163492/Is-Stevie-Weatherford-the-next-USF-starting-quarterback

"As the USF Bulls continue to struggle through their Big East schedule, Skip Holtz continues to stay committed to quarterback B.J. Daniels. But Holtz did make clear his frustration during Tuesday's USF press conference.

What is clear is that B.J's style is not suited for what the Bulls want to accomplish.

So why stick with him?

Two reasons.

First, there is hope that Daniels is simply in a slump and that his play resumes to the level when he first took over under center last season. The second is that there are no other options. Freshman walk-on Bobby Eveld is currently listed as the back up.

Next season, lack of options will not be the case. Land O' Lakes quarterback Stevie Weatherford will arrive on campus in January. Matt Floyd, a three-star quarterback from Milton, Georgia also plans to join the Bulls in 2011. But Weatherford should have the inside track here.

Right now, Weatherford leads all Bay Area quarterbacks with a 66% completion percentage. His 24 touchdowns are second only to Jefferson's Quentin Williams (25). And for the record, nearly everybody in the Land O' Lakes camp including former coach John Benedetto and former quarterback Drew Weatherford claim Stevie is the most talented of all Weatherford boys. His strengths are dropping back, reading the defense and hitting receivers in stride with pinpoint accuracy. All those characteristics are critical in Holtz's offense and not the strengths of Daniels.   

The warning label that comes with Weatherford is the belief that Pasco county talent is not considered to be at the level of Hillsborough, Pinellas or Polk. Therefore playing against inferior competition makes his true ability tougher to evaluate and tougher to groom for NCAA Division I competition. Also, the fact older brothers Drew and Joe did not flourish at the college level made some programs back off the final Weatherford and makes some USF fans wonder exactly what they are getting. Had Drew and Joe had better success, Stevie would naturally have his pick of Division I schools.

So it will not be long after Weatherford arrives on campus before he finds out where he stands. One thing is looking certain....the quarterback job will be up for grabs. Whether the Land O' Lakes star will be ready to snag it remains to be seen.  "

Great post.  Thank you for sharing the local scoop.

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  6,712
  • Days Won:  17

The same could be said about Marcus Shaw as far as playing "inferior" talent, but I have liked what little I've seen from him thus far. Only time will tell.

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

I'm just thrilled to have some decent depth at the QB position next season. 

• Content Count:  3,594
  • Days Won:  3

Drew was a stud his freshman year, but coaching killed him.  And correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Antone Smith his RB?  Number one recruit who averaged like 3 yards a pop???  Looks like Drew wasn't the real issue. 

MY concern for Steve, other than being a true frosh who will already be expected to start when he gets here, will be WHO he gets to throw to.  Boyd, Griffin, Lamar, maybe Aycock.  Mut????

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Something to look forward to next season... this is the best news I have heard all season.

If Skip and co are balking at Evald replacing BJ then they must have a good reason and know something we don't know. However I doubt he could be any worse then BJ, seriously.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Something to look forward to next season... this is the best news I have heard all season.

If Skip and co are balking at Evald replacing BJ then they must have a good reason and know something we don't know. However I doubt he could be any worse then BJ, seriously.

Some of us know what they know about Eveld, or at least can infer what they know due to their actions, or rather lack there of.  Those of us that are able to do that are the ones not freaking the **** out over BJ still being the starter.  Although sometimes, in a masochistic way, I do wish those who are clamoring for Eveld would get their wish.  You think things are bad now with the offense........   

• Content Count:  639
  • Days Won:  0

the middle brother was a bust at UCF, never moved up the depth chart, heard he even joined a intramural team before transferring after graduating to get a few years of eligibility. And everyone knows about Drew, not a good track record with that family so far

• Content Count:  560
  • Days Won:  1

Wasn't Drew taken into police custody after they found him running around naked saying he was "God"? Sounded like a bad acid trip to me, I think he partied too hard. This might have motivated Stevie to stay clean, study and graduate early. Not to mention his parents can keep a closer watch on him. Will be interesting when Trey Holtz joins the Bulls as a walk on QB in a couple years, has anyone seen him play?

• Content Count:  1,027
  • Days Won:  0

Wasn't Drew taken into police custody after they found him running around naked saying he was "God"? Sounded like a bad acid trip to me, I think he partied too hard. This might have motivated Stevie to stay clean, study and graduate early. Not to mention his parents can keep a closer watch on him. Will be interesting when Trey Holtz joins the Bulls as a walk on QB in a couple years, has anyone seen him play?

No, that was Wyatt Sexton.

• Content Count:  2,430
  • Days Won:  3

That was Sexton

Archived