• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Future at QB?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Plz move if you disagree with where I placed this post

http://www.baynews9.com/article/sports/2010/october/163492/Is-Stevie-Weatherford-the-next-USF-starting-quarterback

"As the USF Bulls continue to struggle through their Big East schedule, Skip Holtz continues to stay committed to quarterback B.J. Daniels. But Holtz did make clear his frustration during Tuesday's USF press conference.

What is clear is that B.J's style is not suited for what the Bulls want to accomplish.

So why stick with him?

Two reasons.

First, there is hope that Daniels is simply in a slump and that his play resumes to the level when he first took over under center last season. The second is that there are no other options. Freshman walk-on Bobby Eveld is currently listed as the back up.

Next season, lack of options will not be the case. Land O' Lakes quarterback Stevie Weatherford will arrive on campus in January. Matt Floyd, a three-star quarterback from Milton, Georgia also plans to join the Bulls in 2011. But Weatherford should have the inside track here.

Right now, Weatherford leads all Bay Area quarterbacks with a 66% completion percentage. His 24 touchdowns are second only to Jefferson's Quentin Williams (25). And for the record, nearly everybody in the Land O' Lakes camp including former coach John Benedetto and former quarterback Drew Weatherford claim Stevie is the most talented of all Weatherford boys. His strengths are dropping back, reading the defense and hitting receivers in stride with pinpoint accuracy. All those characteristics are critical in Holtz's offense and not the strengths of Daniels. 

The warning label that comes with Weatherford is the belief that Pasco county talent is not considered to be at the level of Hillsborough, Pinellas or Polk. Therefore playing against inferior competition makes his true ability tougher to evaluate and tougher to groom for NCAA Division I competition. Also, the fact older brothers Drew and Joe did not flourish at the college level made some programs back off the final Weatherford and makes some USF fans wonder exactly what they are getting. Had Drew and Joe had better success, Stevie would naturally have his pick of Division I schools.

So it will not be long after Weatherford arrives on campus before he finds out where he stands. One thing is looking certain....the quarterback job will be up for grabs. Whether the Land O' Lakes star will be ready to snag it remains to be seen.  "

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,777

I certainly think he is.we'll see how he does Friday against 6-0 Pasco but his stats the last 2 years are phenominal. And coming in in January gives him the chance to learn the system and maybe pull ahead for the job next season.

• Content Count:  8,174

my only concern is that pasco football really is complete trash.

hillsborough is where its at

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

my only concern is that pasco football really is complete trash.

hillsborough is where its at

True, but competition focuses the mind.  So just having more guys competing will help.

• Content Count:  2,994
  • Days Won:  4

I don't know who LoL has played but teams do play a few games out of county. I know alot of the Polk teams are playing in Hillsborough and Osceola at times, at least one or two games a year if not more.

Depends how well they do in the playoffs really against other areas of the state. But if he has the skillset, it doesn't necessarily mean much if he's playing inferior competition.

• Content Count:  3,095
  • Days Won:  1

LOLHS has an all-Pasco county schedule for 2010, but keep your eye on the next 2 weeks as LOLHS plays undefeated Pasco and Sunlake in consecutive weeks.

• Content Count:  720
  • Days Won:  0

No matter the competition he's facing you still have to get the ball from point A to point B and he's doing it at a 66% clip. His skill sets are reading D's and accurate passing. That alone surpasses BJ's. The kid is also a 4.0 student graduating early so I'm pretty sure he has a good head on his shoulders and should be able to adjust to the speed of D1. Will he do it fast enough to unseat BJ? Gunsby? Eveld? or even fellow Frosh Floyd? Only time will tell.

• Content Count:  1,079

I believe the better the competition the tougher mentally and physically your going to be. That being said I'm going to be skeptical of this kid just due to his brothers not performing at high levels. I know their all different people but I just want to wait this out, never know we might have a stud in Gunsby or another recruit..

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

Unless we get the problems on the OL he is going to have to be accurate while running for his life.

• Content Count:  809

Older brother Drew didn't succeed at FSU because of coaching, not because of talent.

Archived