• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

it is easy to blame BJ but...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  4,738
  • Days Won:  0

You are crazy. It should have been 30-6 at that point with all the opportunities the offense had. watch the tape before u start telling people they don't know what they're talking about

I never said the offense didn't miss points. Strictly pointed out that the drive the defense let up wasn't because they were "gassed" because of being on the field more.  And despite the offenses struggles, USF did have the lead at that point in the 4th quarter.  

surely you arent defending the BJ by pointing out a lead in fourth quarter?!  How about this, let's blame the D for the 98 yd drive, and we'll blame the BJ for missing two guys streaking down the field wide open.  Without only those two mistakes by BJ(ignoring all the other ones) the score is 23-13. 

add all the others and its probably 40-13.  sounds like the D did a good job.

I think you watched too many Buc games.  Did you spend your time defending Dilfer when the D held a team to 13 points and we lost?

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  919

I am disapointed with the OC playcalling that didnt slow down the blitz, but BJ was the main problem.  I expected short throws to the TE's, RB's, and screens and draws.  The only thing I can think is that they didnt call those plays because BJ can't execute them.  The one screen I saw where BJ faked L and came back right was a horrible lob pass that should have never been thrown, and probably intercepted.  Maybe the OC is limited because of what BJ can execute.

I really don't want to pile on the kid, who is learning a new system, but let's call it like it is.  On the 1st qtr INT on the fake WR screen and bomb to Bogan, that was totally BJ's fault.  His excuse about reading his keys is bull.  How could he miss Landi running wide open down the middle near Bogan?

The TV broadcast showed 2 other plays with receivers running free in the secondary with no one within 10 yards.  If BJ hits 1 of those 3, USF wins. 

How about his 2nd INT on the short throw to the sideline?  What did he see there?  Totally covered. 

These are all examples of BJ's lack of vision and decision making ability.  I don't know if that will get better any time soon.

How about BJ missing Bogan wide open on the sideline in the last drive?  Totally unforced error.

Also, the last pass of the game to Landi, BJ threw off his back foot, sidearm, way too soon, with no real pressure in his face.  If he steps up, holds the ball for 1 more beat, and delivers it, Landi would have had huge yards. 

I'm sure there are many more examples of where BJ didn't execute.  He lacks the poise, vision, and decision making ability that is needed in a QB. 

The question is, can he learn these traits?  I didn't see it last year, and haven't seen it this year.  I'm sure the staff will continue to give him more time to mature and learn.  It will be a long season.

I would start a 2 QB system immediately.  I'd use Eveld in the normal offense, and use BJ out of the WildBull.  Let BJ run, where he is best.

• Content Count:  1,517
  • Days Won:  1

If Bj was a good QB and made good decision it would open our offense up for more plays.

Bench BJ, start a different QB.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I am disapointed with the OC playcalling that didnt slow down the blitz, but BJ was the main problem.  I expected short throws to the TE's, RB's, and screens and draws.  The only thing I can think is that they didnt call those plays because BJ can't execute them.  The one screen I saw where BJ faked L and came back right was a horrible lob pass that should have never been thrown, and probably intercepted.  Maybe the OC is limited because of what BJ can execute.

I really don't want to pile on the kid, who is learning a new system, but let's call it like it is.  On the 1st qtr INT on the fake WR screen and bomb to Bogan, that was totally BJ's fault.  His excuse about reading his keys is bull.  How could he miss Landi running wide open down the middle near Bogan?

The TV broadcast showed 2 other plays with receivers running free in the secondary with no one within 10 yards.  If BJ hits 1 of those 3, USF wins. 

How about his 2nd INT on the short throw to the sideline?  What did he see there?  Totally covered. 

These are all examples of BJ's lack of vision and decision making ability.  I don't know if that will get better any time soon.

How about BJ missing Bogan wide open on the sideline in the last drive?  Totally unforced error.

Also, the last pass of the game to Landi, BJ threw off his back foot, sidearm, way too soon, with no real pressure in his face.  If he steps up, holds the ball for 1 more beat, and delivers it, Landi would have had huge yards. 

I'm sure there are many more examples of where BJ didn't execute.  He lacks the poise, vision, and decision making ability that is needed in a QB. 

The question is, can he learn these traits?  I didn't see it last year, and haven't seen it this year.  I'm sure the staff will continue to give him more time to mature and learn.  It will be a long season.

I would start a 2 QB system immediately.  I'd use Eveld in the normal offense, and use BJ out of the WildBull.  Let BJ run, where he is best.

Good I'm not the only one that witnessed that crap yesterday... also I think that last part is what Holtz should do right away... if we are lucky and Evled can actually do something then we might be able to squeak into the St. Pete Bowl and save some recruiting leverage this off-season.

Hopefully they are looking for some JUCO transfers at QB and WR...

• Content Count:  1,768
  • Days Won:  1

You are crazy. It should have been 30-6 at that point with all the opportunities the offense had. watch the tape before u start telling people they don't know what they're talking about

I never said the offense didn't miss points. Strictly pointed out that the drive the defense let up wasn't because they were "gassed" because of being on the field more.  And despite the offenses struggles, USF did have the lead at that point in the 4th quarter.  

surely you arent defending the BJ by pointing out a lead in fourth quarter?!  How about this, let's blame the D for the 98 yd drive, and we'll blame the BJ for missing two guys streaking down the field wide open.  Without only those two mistakes by BJ(ignoring all the other ones) the score is 23-13. 

add all the others and its probably 40-13.  sounds like the D did a good job.

I think you watched too many Buc games.  Did you spend your time defending Dilfer when the D held a team to 13 points and we lost?

Clearly reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits.  Read into whatever you want.  

MikeG stictly made a point about the D giving up a long drive in an inoppurtune time of the game....someone basically called him an idiot saying the defense was gassed....which I strictly point out was for the most part absolutely incorrect.  There's plenty of stuff to complain about in this game, but atleast lets not make stuff up.  

And funny, by me saying BJ had a bad game, as along with the rest of the offense, I'm a BJ defender?  OK.  Whatever.  How about I don't let an obvious hate for someone cloud my judgement in realizing that football is a team effort and that we failed at that on multiple levels on offense yesterday.  Silly me for realizing that BJ can't also block the linebackers blitzing, or make line adjustments instead of the Center to cover blitzes.  Silly me for realizing BJ doesn't also act as Offensive Coordinator for the team and fail to make screen or draw calls to slow down the blitz.  Silly me for realizing BJ doesn't throw and then run down field to drop several on the money passes.  BJ played bad, but to solely lay the blame on him is disingenuous.  

• Content Count:  10,369
  • Days Won:  7

BJ played bad, but cmon...."he was the reason we lost today"....really?  

I think it is a fair point that the defense could have played better.  Makon could have made the long field goal.  Special teams could have returned a few more kicks for TDs.  Receivers could have made a few more great catches of balls 2' behind or over their head.  Basically there are other positions that could have stood up and played a phenomenal game and led to a USF victory, but that loss is 150% on BJ Daniels.

I think in sports we all to often try and make the focus of a win or loss one person (the goal tender, the pitcher, the QB).  But I have never seen a USF game in which one player makes so many poor decisions, makes so many poor plays, and in general does so much to cause his team to loose the game than I saw yesterday.  BJ failed to complete passes to wide open receivers, through interceptions into double and triple coverage, and generally played so poorly that Cuse could just focus 100% on the running game.

I even have a hard time blaming it on the offensive coordinator.  I don't think there are many QBs on scholarship (starter or otherwise) playing D1 football who wouldn't have won that game yesterday.

• Content Count:  521

yea it's the Defense's fault.. they should be pitching shut outs AND scoring defensive touchdowns  ::)

get BJD off the field.  convert him to a safety or something.

• Content Count:  4,738

Clearly reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits.  Read into whatever you want. 

MikeG stictly made a point about the D giving up a long drive in an inoppurtune time of the game....someone basically called him an idiot saying the defense was gassed....which I strictly point out was for the most part absolutely incorrect.  There's plenty of stuff to complain about in this game, but atleast lets not make stuff up. 

And funny, by me saying BJ had a bad game, as along with the rest of the offense, I'm a BJ defender?  OK.  Whatever.  How about I don't let an obvious hate for someone cloud my judgement in realizing that football is a team effort and that we failed at that on multiple levels on offense yesterday.  Silly me for realizing that BJ can't also block the linebackers blitzing, or make line adjustments instead of the Center to cover blitzes.  Silly me for realizing BJ doesn't also act as Offensive Coordinator for the team and fail to make screen or draw calls to slow down the blitz.  Silly me for realizing BJ doesn't throw and then run down field to drop several on the money passes.  BJ played bad, but to solely lay the blame on him is disingenuous. 

really?  you must have some "special" skills to have such reading comprehension to conclude that Mike meant that the D gave up points at an "inoppurtune" time

where was our defense today when we needed them to step up? Despite what was going on for 3 quarters, we did have a 9-6 lead and with a beautiful pooch punt down near the goal line--- really put Cuse in a tough spot.

the result? they drive the ball straight down our throats, eat up a ton of time, and take the lead.

Cuse really worked us on over pursuit and quick tosses to the flat all game long. Our strength in the past relied on tough defense. But I was seeing some iffy tackling out there.

I'm not expecting the world out of this "team in transition" but there is plenty of evidence to validate other posters thoughts regarding the whole square peg, round hole analogy. You simply cannot force a team to use your system without taking into account how to best utilize what they do best. Holtz will get a pass from most since these are not "his guys"-- but other (more successful) coaches understand that you need to be flexible and use your players more effectively based on what they can do.

With any luck-- this game will wake the staff up to this situation. Let BJ do what he does best-- run with the ball or play action pass. If they feel the need to continue with a pocket passing type style, BJ is not the right guy - at least not at this point in his second season. 

I fear we have a very difficult season ahead of us- the rest of the Big East will be a bear comparatively.

"despite what happened the past 3 quarters, we did have a 9-6 lead"  interpretation: it doesnt matter that BJ left 2-3 TDs on the field, what matters is we led by a field goal! 

"the result? they drive the ball straight down our throats, eat up a ton of time, and take the lead."  this doesn't sound like "innoppurtune".  it sounds like the D is getting blamed. 

I'll have to check the play by play charts to see how much time the D spent on the field at that point in the game.  But you can't put your D out there over and over and expect they wont give up some points.  13 points was a great effort.  That effort would have defeated almost every other team that played this week.

Its hard to believe that anyone can actually try to make a point that 13 points allowed wasn't acceptable and actually believe it

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

All people are saying in a defensive battle you can't allow a 98 yard drive.

On the last INT if BJ gets enough air on it the WR is still running because there was no one behind him.

Daniels played BAD. I can't defend him anymore. The Oline played bad too. So did the RB. WR did what they could when the ball was there.

Playcalling was magnificient. The execution was poor.

BTW, BJ is on pace for 14 INTs. :( When will we not throw 14 interceptions in a season? 

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,047
  • Days Won:  469

I think reading the board this morning sets up the perfect scapegoat - BJ Daniels.  I know, I have no idea what I am talking about and need to watch film.  But please, I watch a kid that could run and throw a year ago, unable to do either this year.  I'm in the camp that you have to use what you have.  I think having Daniels be a drop back guy sucks.  I don't think that would have worked for Matt Grothe either.  And his passing was riddled with INTS as we all know.  As many INTs as TDs most years.  Why force Daniels into a role?  Let him run like Grothe did.  Many hail him as the greatest - including himself - how would he have fared being forced into a drop back role in a new offense?  It's just silly pushing this offense.  When it all fails, we will have destroyed a young mans otherwise promising career.  But we'll have someone to blame I guess.

Archived