• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

it is easy to blame BJ but...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I wondered how long it would take for the BJ dashing to start.  Sounds a lot like the Grothe bashing that was around when he was at the same point in his career.  And he is making alot of the same mistakes as a sophomore.

Give him some time, and give the entirely new staff some time to figure things out as well.

I can not recall Grothe ever being this bad... or losing to Cuse...

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

Has USF even had a decent kicker since Bill Gramatica? There has to be someone who is moderately consistent in high school in the state of Florida who USF can lure into coming and kicking here.

Maikon missed a 47 yarder yesterday.  Not really that bad, and the extra point was blocked.

What's not bad about missing a field goal and having an extra point blocked? IMO, thats ******* terrible.

Not his fault there was a false start when he nailed the 42 yarder.  Not his fault our line couldn't hold a block on the PAT.

• Content Count:  5,591
  • Days Won:  3

I wondered how long it would take for the BJ dashing to start.  Sounds a lot like the Grothe bashing that was around when he was at the same point in his career.  And he is making alot of the same mistakes as a sophomore.

Give him some time, and give the entirely new staff some time to figure things out as well.

I can not recall Grothe ever being this bad... or losing to Cuse...

Let's not get too crazy there... here are a few stats from Grothe's JUNIOR year in three consecutive games.

v. Rutgers- 28-43  292 yds  1 TD  3 INT 

v. Cincinnati- 13-31 174 yds  0 TD  3 INT

v. Connecticut- 9-18 124 yds 0 TD 1 INT

that is 50-92 590 yds  1 TD  7 INT

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  175

I read through the 7 pages of opinions here and just want to clarify a few things about my reason for the initial post.

1) BJ shares in the fault for losing this game-- hell-- everyone does-- including fans sitting on their hands or leaving early/never showing up. I did not intend to say BJ was faultless but the title and first sentence or two are apparently all some folks read

2) I did not intend to blame the defense for the loss. I was upset that they were not able to stop a 98 yard drive at a crucial time in the game. I guess saying "despite the first three quarters" isn't a clearly enough written message for some people-- most of whom can't stand me anyway-- so screw them.

3) Some did bother to read my real point of this thread. That we cannot use this offense with BJ at the helm. If they want him to be our QB-- we absolutely have to gear the offense to play to his strengths. Think in terms of how we used Brian Fisher (oh god-- I've opened a can of worms there). Either that or try another QB if you are dead set on a pocket passer. BJ has never been one and I tend to doubt he can be made into one in the short term. Roll him out and have three levels of reveivers in front of him without any large linemen to see around--- it might just give him a chance to see the open guys for once--- and if they are covered--  haul arse up the sideline or flip it to a safety valve running back (for those of you he think BJ doesn't want to run). Whatever-- DO SOMETHING DIFFERENT-- THIS SUCKS.

One other thing that seems missing (not mentioned in first post)-- the fire in the belly. I guess we shouldn't expect Coach Holtz to be head butting helmeted players (or choking/slapping them or whatever) but in general I thought we played flat from start to finish.

ok-- proceed to call me an idiot again-- I clearly have never seen a football game before.

• Content Count:  4,078

You are crazy. It should have been 30-6 at that point with all the opportunities the offense had. watch the tape before u start telling people they don't know what they're talking about

I never said the offense didn't miss points. Strictly pointed out that the drive the defense let up wasn't because they were "gassed" because of being on the field more.  And despite the offenses struggles, USF did have the lead at that point in the 4th quarter.  

surely you arent defending the BJ by pointing out a lead in fourth quarter?!  How about this, let's blame the D for the 98 yd drive, and we'll blame the BJ for missing two guys streaking down the field wide open.  Without only those two mistakes by BJ(ignoring all the other ones) the score is 23-13. 

add all the others and its probably 40-13.  sounds like the D did a good job.

I think you watched too many Buc games.  Did you spend your time defending Dilfer when the D held a team to 13 points and we lost?

Clearly reading comprehension is not one of your strong suits.  Read into whatever you want.  

MikeG stictly made a point about the D giving up a long drive in an inoppurtune time of the game....someone basically called him an idiot saying the defense was gassed....which I strictly point out was for the most part absolutely incorrect.  There's plenty of stuff to complain about in this game, but atleast lets not make stuff up.  

And funny, by me saying BJ had a bad game, as along with the rest of the offense, I'm a BJ defender?  OK.  Whatever.  How about I don't let an obvious hate for someone cloud my judgement in realizing that football is a team effort and that we failed at that on multiple levels on offense yesterday.  Silly me for realizing that BJ can't also block the linebackers blitzing, or make line adjustments instead of the Center to cover blitzes.  Silly me for realizing BJ doesn't also act as Offensive Coordinator for the team and fail to make screen or draw calls to slow down the blitz.  Silly me for realizing BJ doesn't throw and then run down field to drop several on the money passes.  BJ played bad, but to solely lay the blame on him is disingenuous.  

Daniels effort was abysmal and probably his worst.  Even so, you are absolutely correct!

I think reading the board this morning sets up the perfect scapegoat - BJ Daniels.  I know, I have no idea what I am talking about and need to watch film.  But please, I watch a kid that could run and throw a year ago, unable to do either this year.  I'm in the camp that you have to use what you have.  I think having Daniels be a drop back guy *****.  I don't think that would have worked for Matt Grothe either.  And his passing was riddled with INTS as we all know.  As many INTs as TDs most years.  Why force Daniels into a role?  Let him run like Grothe did.  Many hail him as the greatest - including himself - how would he have fared being forced into a drop back role in a new offense?  It's just silly pushing this offense.  When it all fails, we will have destroyed a young mans otherwise promising career.  But we'll have someone to blame I guess.

Because this is change that we have to believe in for the sake of change. The blame must be totally placed on those who have been here not the new people.

there is only one starting QB USF has ever had that I haven't seen someone say was terrible at some point-- Chad Barnhardt. I probably just missed the thread though

that list includes Marquell Blackwell-- he had some detractors at various points (typically any time we lost a game in which he threw a INT--- which was extremely rare by the standards seen under Grothe/Daniels)

The most villified? probably a close tie between Ronnie Banks and Pat Julmiste. Well unless you want to talk about off field issues-- then it is Brian Fisher who people hated most.

it's the way things are-- people don't want to talk about the positives -- just what is wrong and needs correcting/improvement. It's why the media prints dirt more often than fluff. Dirt sells. I was kind of happy that my post had so many people talk about how well the defense played-- I thought they worked hard too. That one TD drive just was so frustrating to watch.

I think reading the board this morning sets up the perfect scapegoat - BJ Daniels.  I know, I have no idea what I am talking about and need to watch film.  But please, I watch a kid that could run and throw a year ago, unable to do either this year.  I'm in the camp that you have to use what you have.  I think having Daniels be a drop back guy *****.  I don't think that would have worked for Matt Grothe either.  And his passing was riddled with INTS as we all know.  As many INTs as TDs most years.  Why force Daniels into a role?  Let him run like Grothe did.  Many hail him as the greatest - including himself - how would he have fared being forced into a drop back role in a new offense?  It's just silly pushing this offense.  When it all fails, we will have destroyed a young mans otherwise promising career.  But we'll have someone to blame I guess.

Because this is change that we have to believe in for the sake of change. The blame must be totally placed on those who have been here not the new people.

<shakes fist at the sky> dayum you coach leavitt !

;)

there is only one starting QB USF has ever had that I haven't seen someone say was terrible at some point-- Chad Barnhardt. I probably just missed the thread though

that list includes Marquell Blackwell-- he had some detractors at various points (typically any time we lost a game in which he threw a INT--- which was extremely rare by the standards seen under Grothe/Daniels)

The most villified? probably a close tie between Ronnie Banks and Pat Julmiste. Well unless you want to talk about off field issues-- then it is Brian Fisher who people hated most.

it's the way things are-- people don't want to talk about the positives -- just what is wrong and needs correcting/improvement. It's why the media prints dirt more often than fluff. Dirt sells. I was kind of happy that my post had so many people talk about how well the defense played-- I thought they worked hard too. That one TD drive just was so frustrating to watch.

Most criticism comes from those who probably have no idea who some of those guys are, Mike.  Even so, you are absolutely correct.

• Content Count:  14,415
  • Days Won:  13

Poor coaching?? Most of these coaches have championships under their belt at East Carolina and other schools like Ohio St..  Lack of quality at WR and BJ not adapting to being a pocket passer are the issue. Holtz and staff had the option of either molding the game plan to what the players are used to or use what has worked for them in the past. Guess which one they went with?  It takes time for a QB to learn how to read defenses for pass plays. Its different then having ball carrier vision. something BJ obviously has. It takes time for QBs and WRs to get on the same page. You have 2 of the best WRs out, and 3 that are not dedicated WRs along with the walk on. In other words, our WRs are not 1a class, they are more like 1aa class in terms of lack of talent and experience. Better WRs help struggling QBs by adjusting routes and fighting for toss up balls. Its not all BJ, but more then anyone else its on him. And its what was to be expected with a new system and relative inexperience at WR along with a young, raw QB who at this point is much better at running than reading defenses and cutting them apart with precision passing.

Archived