• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

it is easy to blame BJ but...

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  19,737
  • Days Won:  164

where was our defense today when we needed them to step up? Despite what was going on for 3 quarters, we did have a 9-6 lead and with a beautiful pooch punt down near the goal line--- really put Cuse in a tough spot.

the result? they drive the ball straight down our throats, eat up a ton of time, and take the lead.

Cuse really worked us on over pursuit and quick tosses to the flat all game long. Our strength in the past relied on tough defense. But I was seeing some iffy tackling out there.

I'm not expecting the world out of this "team in transition" but there is plenty of evidence to validate other posters thoughts regarding the whole square peg, round hole analogy. You simply cannot force a team to use your system without taking into account how to best utilize what they do best. Holtz will get a pass from most since these are not "his guys"-- but other (more successful) coaches understand that you need to be flexible and use your players more effectively based on what they can do.

With any luck-- this game will wake the staff up to this situation. Let BJ do what he does best-- run with the ball or play action pass. If they feel the need to continue with a pocket passing type style, BJ is not the right guy - at least not at this point in his second season. 

I fear we have a very difficult season ahead of us- the rest of the Big East will be a bear comparatively.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

Seriously?

They gave up 13 points missing a starting safety and one of our tackles very limited. The offense couldn't sustain a drive to allow the defense time to rest.

The defense is absolutely NOT the issue.

• Content Count:  1,719
  • Days Won:  6

this is the ranting of someone who clearly knows very little about the game of football. the defense played lights out for 3 1/2 quarters, holding Cuse to 6 points & stopping them on a critical 4th down... but when the offense cant sustain a drive & the QB can't hit the broad side of a barn with a beachball from 5 yards away, it's no shocker that the defense is gassed midway thru the 4th qrtr.

u, sir, really need to think before u post.

• Content Count:  2,213
  • Days Won:  3

Defense had a great game.  Kept giving the offense awesome field position.

As for the 98 yard drive, it was a letdown born out of exhaustion.

• Content Count:  326
  • Days Won:  1

my own opinion but it was terrible play calling. when they blitzed, which was often ,they had seven men on the line leaving only four to cover the rest. not one ball thrown to a tight end all day. something short and quick right down the seam maybe ketchel or shields gets behind a linebacker once or twice and they might be forced to ease up on pressuring bj.no one on the staff saw that?????????? everyone in my section did. how about going back to the draw once in a while. its been a while but when I played we would let teams blitz up the field then run a delayed draw right up the gut for big yards because the other team took themselves out of the play.they must have other plays beside planchard 3 yards and a 40 yard bomb  

• Content Count:  7,890
  • Days Won:  0

The blaming of BJ doesn't stem from just this one game it comes from our five games. I've said this before BJ looks completely lost in this offense and yesterdays game proves it. This season BJ has only 7 ints and only 4 TD with a completeion % of just over 50%.

• Content Count:  578

Our defense played great. All we had to do was score one touchdown on offense to beat Syracuse. I mean.... really ?!?!??!

Maine scored two offensive touchdowns on this Syracuse team in the first half of their game!

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

Our defense was awesome yesterday and they almost won the game for us... heck even the offense looked good, our running game was picking up 5-7 yard carries here and there, and our wideouts were getting wide open for easy touchdowns... the only problem was BJ who was throwing into double and triple covered players, scrambling around like a chicken with his head cut off, and just looking lost.

Its easy to blame B, because he was the reason we lost today.

• Content Count:  521

Our defense was/is not the problem, you are just trying to be nice to BJD.. right now, he is the problem-- and he has been all year

• Content Count:  4,738

To the op..

But is this a ******* joke?

The O needs to score at least 14

Archived