• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I just don't get it...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

We have our fair share of cocky fans, and idiots too.  I think it happens at every school. 

I hope our fans act classy in G-town this week. 

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,692
  • Days Won:  2

Most UF fans never set a foot on any college and just want to root for a winner.

There was not nearly as much UF crap at walmart during the Zook era.

Funny how back to back NC's in basketball, two NC's in football, and 15 other NC's in other sports, will put things on shelves and attract casual fans.    :)

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

I don't get it. I'll be there with one of THOSE people. She will probably wear orange and blue, but I told her she better bring some green and gold too, based on the way the gators play, she may want to change at some point during the game.

• Content Count:  40
  • Days Won:  0

It is possible that some of these people were undergrad at UF then grad school at USF or vice versa.  There are a lot of students that move north or south 120 miles for graduate program since many academic fields see it as a negative to the stay at the same school.  Also, being able to keep in-state tuition for grad school is a huge benefit. 

That said, I agree that most of these "both schools" fans are just bandwagon fans and many if not most gator fans have never even set foot on the campus of UF (or any other university for that matter).  I always laughed at the "there's a gator in this truck" bumper stickers that were usually seen on complete POS rustbuckets driven by hillbillies that clearly appeared to have no more than a junior high diploma.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

It's very simple - BAND WAGON FANS.  People want to feel like they belong to a winner so the winner at any given time is their team.  If USF wins this game you will see a lot more USF shirts and hats (unfortunately we have band wagon fans too, see 2007).

band wagon fans aren't a bad thing...

they buy our products and sell out our stadium (see 2007)

• Content Count:  1,165
  • Days Won:  0

To me, it's perfectly easy to understand, and there's a few different types of people that can fit this category.  Of course, theres the bandwagon type of person already mentioned.  Then, there's the people who grew up as Gator fans and kept that loyalty even though they ended of coming here for whatever reason.  Should they be expected to abandon the team they have been cheering for over 15 years just because they ended up going to a different university?

IMO, if you can't understand why it happens, you probably aren't looking at it from all angles.

• Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

We have our fair share of cocky fans, and idiots too.  I think it happens at every school. 

Stay Classy USF!

• Content Count:  7,796
  • Days Won:  6

Stay Classy USF!

I think most will until they meet that one Gator fan.  I've only got so much tolerance and then I draw the line.

• Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

To me, it's perfectly easy to understand, and there's a few different types of people that can fit this category.  Of course, theres the bandwagon type of person already mentioned.  Then, there's the people who grew up as Gator fans and kept that loyalty even though they ended of coming here for whatever reason.  Should they be expected to abandon the team they have been cheering for over 15 years just because they ended up going to a different university?

IMO, if you can't understand why it happens, you probably aren't looking at it from all angles.

I can see with professional teams that you grew up watching and loving, keeping those loyalties when moving to an area with another team in the same sport. I get that. But IMO, going to a university gives it a more personal link. I grew up an avid FSU fan but when I came here, it gave me a more personal link to USF. I can see if you went to a different university for undergrad, and are coming here for post grad because there's a personal link to both. What I don't get is for people to still keep loyalties to a school they didn't go to when they're attending a completely different school

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Content Count:  6,999
  • Days Won:  12

there is no #2 - BULLS first and only.

i heard a few "go gators" shouts at the game this week. **** pissed me off.

Archived