• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I just don't get it...

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  42,125
  • Days Won:  344

I am sure this topic has been brought up before (especially during last year’s FSU game). But could someone please explain to me how a student can go to USF, put in all of the hard work, make life long friends from the university, have a professional rapport with the faculty, acquire a degree, get a job because of that degree and then…CHEAR FOR THE GATORS???? I was on a few of the UF message boards and I see some USF graduates saying they will always be Gator fans first in all sports. Is this an example of the 49ers of the 1980s when everyone wore their gear because they were always the champions or is this more cultural? Here is my belief, you support the university that you graduate first and then show allegiance to the state or other universities. I teach at the University of New Hampshire (1AA) and although I don’t have any conflicts, I would never support them against my Bulls…NEVER (and they actually played each other during year two of the program). I was born and raised in Georgia and enjoy the UGA Bulldogs but would never support them against my Bulls…NEVER. Again, if I am wrong on this someone please explain it to me. Those USF grads supporting the Gators over the Bulls is akin to joining one of those wacko militia groups to overthrow the U.S. government (ok, maybe not that bad but you get the idea).

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,923
  • Days Won:  1

Prior to Saturday's game I stopped by the CVS on Fowler and one of the clerks was wearing a Gator shirt and of course I was decked out in Bulls gear.  The clerk looked at me and said, "Oh I'm a Bulls fan too.", I replied back with a stern message,  a Bulls fan would never wear a Gator's shirt, the look on his face was priceless.  My point is, these so called Bulls fans on the Gators message board stating they cheer for the Gators are not true Bulls fans.  It makes me sick, remember, One God, One Wife, One School, One Team!

• Content Count:  444
  • Days Won:  0

I am sure this topic has been brought up before (especially during last year’s FSU game). But could someone please explain to me how a student can go to USF, put in all of the hard work, make life long friends from the university, have a professional rapport with the faculty, acquire a degree, get a job because of that degree and then…CHEAR FOR THE GATORS???? I was on a few of the UF message boards and I see some USF graduates saying they will always be Gator fans first in all sports. Is this an example of the 49ers of the 1980s when everyone wore their gear because they were always the champions or is this more cultural? Here is my belief, you support the university that you graduate first and then show allegiance to the state or other universities. I teach at the University of New Hampshire (1AA) and although I don’t have any conflicts, I would never support them against my Bulls…NEVER (and they actually played each other during year two of the program). I was born and raised in Georgia and enjoy the UGA Bulldogs but would never support them against my Bulls…NEVER. Again, if I am wrong on this someone please explain it to me. Those USF grads supporting the Gators over the Bulls is akin to joining one of those wacko militia groups to overthrow the U.S. government (ok, maybe not that bad but you get the idea).

I think it is cultural and social.  I have a buddy whose father attended UF and is a Gator booster.  My buddy did not go to college, but his brother attended USF and his sister graduated from USF.  They will all be at the UF/USF game this weekend cheering for the Gators.  His sister has gone to USF away games, at NCST for example, and rooted for the Bulls in the rain, but she has allegiance to UF.  It seems to be a cult-like situation that provides a sense of belonging for them.

• Content Count:  3,616
  • Days Won:  1

people just like "winners" - they like the frontrunner, etc. it's like the yankees now for fans who have never even been to new york before.

• Content Count:  63

It's very simple - BAND WAGON FANS.  People want to feel like they belong to a winner so the winner at any given time is their team.  If USF wins this game you will see a lot more USF shirts and hats (unfortunately we have band wagon fans too, see 2007).

• Content Count:  4,879

there are thousands of generational Gator-family fans who have taken a liking to the Bulls.  this is good for us and we shouldn't chase these folks off.

As for USF grads that root for other teams (UF/FSU/UM), they likely made their allegiance at 11,12,13 and don't make the link about career success/degree value/football team success that many of us do.

If UF remains a perenial top 5 program, USF can have tremendous success as the second best program in the state of Florida.

I say all this as someone who would have a real tough time deciding who to root against if Gators were playing Al-Quida U

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Most UF fans never set a foot on any college and just want to root for a winner.

There was not nearly as much UF crap at walmart during the Zook era.

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

To make sure I am clear, I am and will always be a USF fan first.

But as an older alumn, you have to remember that forever, USF had no football.  We had lower level basketball.  We were just a commuter school and a place for kids who wanted to stay local.  Many things have changed over the past 5 decades for USF.

When I was younger, my friends went to FSU and UF.  I used to go up there for the weekends to hang out and party.  I went to many, many, UF Gator games and Gator Growls (Their homecoming).  I ALWAYS felt welcomed there.  I had tons of fun and enjoyed it.  Funny, but I did the same at FSU, but they were a bit more clickish, and I didn't feel as welcome there.

I have many family members who went to UF too.  My best friend growing up, his dad was a gator and on Saturdays we'd listen to the UF games on the radio, and watch the Dolphins on sundays (there were no bucs back then until later on).  

So the Gators will always be my #2 team, and I do follow them.  I have a gator shirt and I do still go up there from time to time.   But, whenever UF and USF play, my choice will be clear.  

Also, another note, some kids go to UF and USF.  My brother in law went to UF first, then USF, and finished at FSU.  Some get an undergrad at one school and a grad at the other.  

I think I'd pissed if I were on the USF campus and saw a UF shirt from a current USF student.  That might set me off as it is disrespectful.  

But just take a few minutes, put yourselve's in someone elses shoes before you get in someone's face.  

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Most UF fans never set a foot on any college and just want to root for a winner.

There was not nearly as much UF crap at walmart during the Zook era.

Funny how a NC in basketball, two NC's in football, and 15 other NC's in other sports, will put things on shelves and attract casual fans.    :)

• Content Count:  2,352
  • Days Won:  4

Honestly I was the biggest gator fan,my whole family is. I was during the bad spurrier years during the zook years then I get in to ucf usf uf unf and fsu. I picked USF over UF for 2 reasons I loved tampa and the school program (UF is going down the drain). And for a girl  ;D

Now I am the biggest bulls fan, absolutely obsessed with the football and basketball program.

I also am the biggest gator hater!  I just realized how arrogant the UF fans are. I am glad I am a bulls fan and not a UF one. I can honesyly say well over half of gator "fans" are band wagoners

Archived