• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

I just don't get it...

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  444
  • Days Won:  0

USF didnt have a football team when I was growing up, so my team became the Florida Gators. My family went to New Orleans to watch the Gators stomp FSU in the Sugar Bowl to win the national championship. I went to many games in Gainesville to watch the Gators. I grew up with Florida Football. I still, and always love Florida Football. It is a completely different culture there. Going to games wasn't a drunkfest like it is here. SEC football is a different brand of football and as much as I would like USF/Big East football to be like that, it isnt.

That being said, my passion from Florida Football doesn't take away from my passion for USF athletics. I am a USF grad, I was in HOT for 4 years, I traveled with the school as a part of HOT for both football and basketball. Post HOT, I've traveled in support of the team to Auburn, NC State, Rutgers, FAU, FIU and this year I'm going to Louisville and Gainesville. I think I been just about as much of a USF fan as possible.

My love and passion of football, came from watching Florida Football. That will never change regardless if USF wins the next 25 national championships. I am disappointed with USF's special teams just as much as I am disappointed with Florida's inability to move the ball over the weekend. This doesn't make me any less of a "true fan" for USF, just like it doesn't make me a "bandwagon fan" for UF.

I'm going up there this weekend in hopes of a good game. I don't want a blow out; that kinda loss would be bad for either program. The best way I could equate this, is that it would be like asking a parent to choose their favorite child. Just because you loved one first, before the other even existed, doesn't mean that when the second comes along that you love it any more or any less.

Bouncer, I’m not trying to attack you, just consider this analogy for a sec.

I think I remember reading that B.J. was a huge ‘noles fan growing up in Tally.  Do you think he hoped for a good close game against the team he grew up loving as a kid when USF played them last year?  He didn’t.  He wanted a Bulls victory because he is now currently a member of the USF football team. 

The way I see it, as an alumnus of a school, you are a member of that team.  Sure, a very small member; not nearly as significant as a staff member or player, but still a contributing member toward the success of the program…through fan support in the stands, or donations for staff salaries, facilities, etc.  Fans contribute so much to the success of a college football program far more than they do toward a professional sports team.

Does Farve still root for the Packers?

Its your prerogative, just sayin’.

• Content Count:  4,778
  • Days Won:  6

Grew up a Gator fan not gonna lie but as a USF Alum this will be the first game I will ever root against UF in. Maybe I'm one of the few but my Alma Mater comes before my childhood allegiance every time.

• Content Count:  1,633

USF didnt have a football team when I was growing up, so my team became the Florida Gators. My family went to New Orleans to watch the Gators stomp FSU in the Sugar Bowl to win the national championship. I went to many games in Gainesville to watch the Gators. I grew up with Florida Football. I still, and always love Florida Football. It is a completely different culture there. Going to games wasn't a drunkfest like it is here. SEC football is a different brand of football and as much as I would like USF/Big East football to be like that, it isnt.

That being said, my passion from Florida Football doesn't take away from my passion for USF athletics. I am a USF grad, I was in HOT for 4 years, I traveled with the school as a part of HOT for both football and basketball. Post HOT, I've traveled in support of the team to Auburn, NC State, Rutgers, FAU, FIU and this year I'm going to Louisville and Gainesville. I think I been just about as much of a USF fan as possible.

My love and passion of football, came from watching Florida Football. That will never change regardless if USF wins the next 25 national championships. I am disappointed with USF's special teams just as much as I am disappointed with Florida's inability to move the ball over the weekend. This doesn't make me any less of a "true fan" for USF, just like it doesn't make me a "bandwagon fan" for UF.

I'm going up there this weekend in hopes of a good game. I don't want a blow out; that kinda loss would be bad for either program. The best way I could equate this, is that it would be like asking a parent to choose their favorite child. Just because you loved one first, before the other even existed, doesn't mean that when the second comes along that you love it any more or any less.

Bouncer, I’m not trying to attack you, just consider this analogy for a sec.

I think I remember reading that B.J. was a huge ‘noles fan growing up in Tally.  Do you think he hoped for a good close game against the team he grew up loving as a kid when USF played them last year?  He didn’t.  He wanted a Bulls victory because he is now currently a member of the USF football team. 

The way I see it, as an alumnus of a school, you are a member of that team.  Sure, a very small member; not nearly as significant as a staff member or player, but still a contributing member toward the success of the program…through fan support in the stands, or donations for staff salaries, facilities, etc.  Fans contribute so much to the success of a college football program far more than they do toward a professional sports team.

Does Farve still root for the Packers?

Its your prerogative, just sayin’.

I don't want to sound like I'm gonna only rip your opinion apart, but there was more to the story with BJ and Farve. With BJ, he wanted a school where he could play FB and Basketball. There were a few million dollars involved in Farve's decision to retire, unretire, retire, unretire, etc.

Again, I am not rooting solely for UF. I just don't think it is a choice that people should be forced to make, or be blacklisted  by the herd of pricks that get their rocks off spouting nonsense on the message board.... I really could give two shyts what most of these jerkoffs think, homeboy "just didnt get it" (which I am sure he experiences quite often in his quiet little corner of a life) and I expressed my opinion.

• Content Count:  5

Look at it like this. Every year, High School students apply to UF and get denied. Now, many of these kids are and have been Gator fans for their entire life, along with their parents, and THEIR parents. When the student is denied access, the family doesn't simply cease to root for Florida. Rather, they become fans of both schools. Now, this Saturday, who's to know which team they actually pull for more?

I suppose unless you're in this position, you can't completely understand why or how one would cheer on the Bulls AND the Gators. Instead of turning your nose up in disgust, embrace this new found fan-base, and appreciate their support.

• Content Count:  763

Alma Mater comes before my childhood allegiance every time.

Same here and Amen. F*** 'EM UP BULLS!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

Again, I am not rooting solely for UF. I just don't think it is a choice that people should be forced to make, or be blacklisted  by the herd of pricks that get their rocks off spouting nonsense on the message board.... I really could give two shyts what most of these jerkoffs think, homeboy "just didnt get it" (which I am sure he experiences quite often in his quiet little corner of a life) and I expressed my opinion.

I agree with that .... until they play each other. Straddling the fence for THIS game and you're going to catch well deserved **** from the herd of green and gold "jerkoffs" and "pricks" that inhabit THIS board. I would expect nothing less ...

• Content Count:  4,738

Dan, you were in the herd of thunder.

If you root for uf you are the jerkoff *****. Make sure to find me so I can tell you to **** off :)

• Content Count:  21,336
  • Days Won:  10

I am sure this topic has been brought up before (especially during last year’s FSU game). But could someone please explain to me how a student can go to USF, put in all of the hard work, make life long friends from the university, have a professional rapport with the faculty, acquire a degree, get a job because of that degree and then…CHEAR FOR THE GATORS???? I was on a few of the UF message boards and I see some USF graduates saying they will always be Gator fans first in all sports. Is this an example of the 49ers of the 1980s when everyone wore their gear because they were always the champions or is this more cultural? Here is my belief, you support the university that you graduate first and then show allegiance to the state or other universities. I teach at the University of New Hampshire (1AA) and although I don’t have any conflicts, I would never support them against my Bulls…NEVER (and they actually played each other during year two of the program). I was born and raised in Georgia and enjoy the UGA Bulldogs but would never support them against my Bulls…NEVER. Again, if I am wrong on this someone please explain it to me. Those USF grads supporting the Gators over the Bulls is akin to joining one of those wacko militia groups to overthrow the U.S. government (ok, maybe not that bad but you get the idea).

I think they have weak sense of who they are and have a need to join onto a team that wins and does not really struggle.  If you went to USF and root for UF you are a spineless weak individual.

• Content Count:  149

Once you start down the dark path, forever will it dominate your destiny, consume you it will.

-- Yoda

Archived