• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Disappointed with Recruiting so far

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  18,470
  • Days Won:  44

Good point about Boyd and Montaque. Are they planning to play Boyd at WR or CB? Both of those additions fit nicely into this current recruiting class. Now we just need another 1-2 WR's, DT, and best available recruits.

They tried moving him to WR, but I'm not sure how that will play out in the long run. He will still have four years of playing eligibility.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,016
  • Days Won:  0

Good point about Boyd and Montaque. Are they planning to play Boyd at WR or CB? Both of those additions fit nicely into this current recruiting class. Now we just need another 1-2 WR's, DT, and best available recruits.

I caution Bulls to be careful over-relying on Montague.  He is not officially accepted at USF.  That would not be allowed, and his eligibility clock would have already started ticking.  He's only been promised a spot if he can complete the requisite work load the academic committee has put in front of him.  But we've seen kids get this and still not make it in, a lot of it is based on style points since the classes he's taking are remedial based on college classes.  He'll need to get A's and B's for the academic committee to consider him.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This class lacks high school star quality thus far, but it is solid. Oline is a concern and that is being addressed. We need a splash WR and a hoss DT. Coaches say we're thin at LB. I say we can roll with what we got for one more. Secondary is pretty young, but more speed and talent never hurts. I have faith in Skip. Can't wait to see what he has done with these boys

• Content Count:  4,879

no worries, we have bright D-1 experienced coaches.  most of these kids bring the intangibles that were so sorely lacking in earlier recruits - very high intellect coupled with great work ethic and high character.  you can win wars with guys like this.

• Content Count:  21,310
  • Days Won:  10

no worries, we have bright D-1 experienced coaches.  most of these kids bring the intangibles that were so sorely lacking in earlier recruits - very high intellect coupled with great work ethic and high character.  you can win wars with guys like this.

Now that is an analysis.  Well said, SRQ.

• Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

I say don't underestimate the closing power of Holtz and Co. There's plenty of time left, and I have a hunch we'll be in the running for some bigger names by the time those faxes start rolling in on NLI Day.

• Content Count:  4,879

Now that is an analysis.  Well said, SRQ.

checks in the mail JR  ;)

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

Okay guys, take a step back from the ledge. Take a look at the guys on this staff. They know what they are doing. Let's take a look at the positional recruiting thus far:

QB:

Stephen Weatherford ***

Matt Floyd  ***

These are two very solid commitments in a position of need. If you recall, Grothe was a three star coming out of HS as well. It's clear that we are moving to pass oriented offense, and both of these guys are very solid QB's.

RB:

Willie Davis ***

Dontae Aycock ****

Darrell Scott *****

Seriously, how can we not be estatic here? Davis was blocked by D1 talent last year and his stock is already on the rise. And then to have Aycock and Scott behind the OL that Skip is developing is exciting. Not to mention that if either Murray, Shaw, or Battles pan out, we should be in great shape here.

WR

Alex Mut - NR

PANIC TIME!!!! Alex might be a solid possesion reciever. But we need athletes and depth. Unless we are planning to turn in to UConn with a focus on a strong OL and very good RB's. I think that we need 2-3 more WR additions to this class.

OL:

Thor Jozwiak - NR

David Simon ***

Brynjar Gundmundsson NR

Max Lang ***

Can anyone honestly say who is going to be the best of this group in three years? From all accounts, this is a very solid OL core. Thor's camp results have been first class. David and Max have been heavily recruited by BCS schools. Brynjar appears to have great size 6-5 255, with leadership skills based on published reports. Who knows, all of these guys will likely be 3-4 stars by the end of the season. Holtz knows what he is doing. He built a system that worked for Chris Johnson, let's give him a little trust here.

DL:

There are some LB commits that could likely swing to DL. Would be nice to see a solid tackle addition.

LB:

Rontavious Atkins ***

Zack Bullock NR

Edsel Caprise ***

Antoine Pozniak **

Edsel and Rontavious seem like studs. I might be the most excited about Antoine's commitment of anyone in this whole class.This guy is a beast. Penn State, LSU, USC, etc have been on this guy for a year and he just didn't have the grades. But it looks like he might be eligible to join in January. His size and speed is a great combo, he is a bit raw, but so was JPP. I will admit that it's hard to get fired up about Bullock mostly because there hasn't been alot of publicity regarding him yet. He's one to keep an eye on for his senior season to see how he develops.

DB:

Chris Gayre Jr NR

6-3, 202, 4.6; pretty good measurables for a DB. It would be nice to add another 1-2 additions here.

K/P:

I don't think that we need any help here given the young depth on the current roster.

I would imaging that we will be focusing on WR's, DL, and DB recruits for the remainder of this class. I know that there isn't a pre-season Giddens or Mitchell in this group, but remember that we didn't land either of them until Mid to late January during thier recruiting cycles. Plus there is nothing saying that some of the commits above don't have the upside to build that type of reputation by signing day.

lets not misunderstand each other here... aycock and scott are not recruits they are transfers... their stars at this point are irrelevent seeing as neither could hack it at the school they were recruited to.

weatherford is not the answer we need at QB and I can't really speak on the other guy.

we need WRs... our area is loaded with them and if we miss andre davis i'll flip

• Content Count:  3,030
  • Days Won:  2

ok lets not misunderstand each other, Weatherford is not his brothers lets wait and see how his senior year goes before you proclaim him "not the answer"

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,589
  • Days Won:  424

Interesting .... that's the same kind of stuff the Kanigit fans used to say about their recruits ... Hows that working out?

Archived