• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hypothetical: 2009 Season Results

We finished 7 - 5 last season. In your opinion, if Holtz and his new assistants had been here last season, how would we have finished the season?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

it's difficult to prepare for an unknown element like that.

Unkown element???  Our defensive coordinator was intimately familiar with Collaros.

And because he was known by Tresey means we should have stopped him .....? So I guess  BE DC's didn't know about Grothe, either.  ::)

The defense had already played over half the game against a statue at QB. I'm sure Tresey did all he could to warn the players about Collaros but I'm not sure how easy it is to shift gears like that in the heat of the game ...

good coaches put players in a position to succeed. they still couldn't adjust after the 75 yard TD scamper.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

good coaches put players in a position to succeed. they still couldn't adjust after the 75 yard TD scamper.

they were dead in the water after the scamper.

for better or worse, its how our teams under leavitt played. obviously it was for worse in the long run.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,686
  • Days Won:  424

Unkown element???  Our defensive coordinator was intimately familiar with Collaros.

And because he was known by Tresey means we should have stopped him .....? So I guess  BE DC's didn't know about Grothe, either.  ::)

The defense had already played over half the game against a statue at QB. I'm sure Tresey did all he could to warn the players about Collaros but I'm not sure how easy it is to shift gears like that in the heat of the game ...

Did he have any more 75 yd scampers? .... and this isn't Tecmo Bowl. Coaches can't PUT players in a position to succeed.

This thread is ending up just about where I thought it would ... needs to be moved to where things in the past like this are still being discussed.

Did he have any more 75 yd scampers? .... and this isn't Tecmo Bowl. Coaches can't PUT players in a position to succeed.

This thread is ending up just about where I thought it would ... needs to be moved to where things in the past like this are still being discussed.

why bother running a scheme then? 3-4  4-3. why bother? blitz? nah. Just tell all 11 guys to go out there and stop the ball from crossing the goal line. no need to spy a qb that's running all over you. you wouldn't want an inexperienced qb in his first legit action to have to beat you with the pass. no sense putting pressure on him.

You cant possibly think coaches have nothing to do with putting players in a position to succeed.

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

why bother running a scheme then? 3-4  4-3. why bother? blitz? nah. Just tell all 11 guys to go out there and stop the ball from crossing the goal line. no need to spy a qb that's running all over you. you wouldn't want an inexperienced qb in his first legit action to have to beat you with the pass. no sense putting pressure on him.

You cant possibly think coaches have nothing to do with putting players in a position to succeed.

Wow, you make stopping Collaros sound so easy.

It's a good thing you consulted the other teams in the Big East in how to do it and they shut him down after his coming out against us.

Oh wait..

Wow, you make stopping Collaros sound so easy.

It's a good thing you consulted the other teams in the Big East in how to do it and they shut him down after his coming out against us.

Oh wait..

Collaros played against us, Louisville, Syracuse, and UConn. The 4 worst statistical defenses in the conference. Not exactly the murderer's row of the BE.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

Leavitt was a very good coach.  Look around at all the programs with more history, better facilities and a worse record the last few years.  There are plenty of much worse coaches out there, just ask Syracuse fan.  I think Leavitt was a great big picture guy, and did all the things needed to bring a program from infancy to compete at the highest levels.

That said, I think Holtz is worth an extra win or two with the same group of players.  He's in that next level up, with guys like Brian Kelly.  I see a guy that has won everywhere he has been, often with far less talent.  I see a guy that also understands the big picture, but will be much more detail oriented.  He'll also be more consistent and stable.  Instead of a team that needs emotion to win, this team will win by doing all the little things.  We lost games to Cincy the last few years because they did the little things to win ballgames and we didn't. 

In short, I think we will still lose games where we the other team is stronger and faster.  We'll still lose some close games.  But we won't lose as many games because we made a stupid penalty, or because we were outsmarted.  Overall, that is worth a game or two at least.

• Content Count:  2,495
  • Days Won:  1

On the Collaros play...

Mistake #1 -- Tressey had us in man coverage which left one player to spy the QB (Nate Allen)

Mistake #2 -- Nate Allen whiffs on the tackle

Kelly got lucky there.  3rd and 11 you call a QB draw and hope to get some room to punt.  Nobody draws that play up to score a TD there. 

See below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MVSv7Ml1gIU

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

No.  I won't watch that clip.  It makes me and baby Jesus sad.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

On the Collaros play...

Mistake #1 -- Tressey had us in man coverage which left one player to spy the QB (Nate Allen)

Mistake #2 -- Nate Allen whiffs on the tackle

Perhaps it's time for a Skip Holtz quote:

when defensive linemen miss a tackle, it's 2nd-and-5;

when linebackers miss a tackle, it's 1st-and-10;

but when defensive backs miss a tackle, it's 7-0

:o

Archived