• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hypothetical: 2009 Season Results

We finished 7 - 5 last season. In your opinion, if Holtz and his new assistants had been here last season, how would we have finished the season?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,353
  • Days Won:  10

Well we will find out in a couple of months what Holtz and company are made of.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Funner to speculate on last year when we had a ton of talent and an easier schedule.

This year is tougher all around.

• Content Count:  3,802

He never exceeded expectations during conference play. In fact he finished behind where the media picked us more often then not.

I'm not going to outright disagree but I'd like to see some proof of this assertion.

It's not like the media has ever picked us to win the league, or even be second I don't think.

we were picked to finish 4th last year with 3 first place votes - we finished 6th

the year before we were picked to finish 2nd with 1 first place vote - we finished 6th

I'm definitely not disagreeing on those 2 years. However, we've been in the BE more than 2 years. I'm claiming we finished at or above expectations those years and it would make your statement that Leavitt failed "more often than not" invalid.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

He never exceeded expectations during conference play. In fact he finished behind where the media picked us more often then not.

I'm not going to outright disagree but I'd like to see some proof of this assertion.

It's not like the media has ever picked us to win the league, or even be second I don't think.

we were picked to finish 4th last year with 3 first place votes - we finished 6th

the year before we were picked to finish 2nd with 1 first place vote - we finished 6th

I'm definitely not disagreeing on those 2 years. However, we've been in the BE more than 2 years. I'm claiming we finished at or above expectations those years and it would make your statement that Leavitt failed "more often than not" invalid.

Technically you're correct. my fault.

we were expected to finish 7th our first year. we finished 5th.

we were expected to finish 5th our 2nd year we finished 5th.

we were expected to finish 4th our 3rd year and we finished 4th.

I should have worded it differently.

I should have said he finished below expectations more often then he exceeded them.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,175
  • Days Won:  12

If you are right then we are going to be one happy bunch. The only way we find out what they are made of is if they have won all the games to that point. If we are 6-0 at that point we will know what Holtz and Co can do. If we are 4-2 or god forbid 3-3 that won't really answer anything because we don't really have anything on offense so there is no expectations for this season. Hotz himself alluded to a rebuilding process. I am thinking if we go to a bowl this year we should be happy because we really aren't a bowl team. If we do better than 6-6 this year, I'll be happy. Next year though different story.

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Last year we had new o and d coordinators, one of the greenest offensive lines in all of the BCS schools (less than 19 starts among them all) and we lost our starting QB for the season when he decided to play superman against the div2 school and didn't tell anyone he was injured, went in and got more injured.  Even if we had Knute Rockney or Paul Bryant as the head ballcoach, it would have been a down season. 

• Content Count:  2,433

Wasn't one of CJL's problems was how he would overwork the team during practices and the team always ran out of gas by midseason causing a lot of our collapses?

Holtz in the other hand has shown a more laid back style of practices which the players are raving about.

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Last year we had new o and d coordinators, one of the greenest offensive lines in all of the BCS schools (less than 19 starts among them all) and we lost our starting QB for the season when he decided to play superman against the div2 school and didn't tell anyone he was injured, went in and got more injured.  Even if we had Knute Rockney or Paul Bryant as the head ballcoach, it would have been a down season. 

You forgot to mention the 5 NFL draft picks,

the fact that our o-coordinator was actually our former o-coordinator,

and our head coach is a defensive guy by trade and yet couldn't finish any better than 5th in the conference (total defense, scoring defense)with 4 NFL draft picks.

excuses are for losers. we should have been expected to win the conference last year with the all time yardage leader in the BE and 4 (maybe 5) NFL upperclassmen on the defense.

I understand the Grothe injury but I'm not sure we beat Pitt(41-14), Rutgers(31-0) or Cincy (34-17) with him.

Maybe 1 more win against UConn but BJ played pretty well in that one.

Wasn't one of CJL's problems was how he would overwork the team during practices and the team always ran out of gas by midseason causing a lot of our collapses?

Holtz in the other hand has shown a more laid back style of practices which the players are raving about.

Players raving about not having to work as hard, go figure. Not that I disagree with what Holtz is doing, but of course they'd be happy about it as players.

CJL probably did overwork his players, but it wasn't that they "ran out of gas by midseason" it was that the played increased, sustained, competition. That's the only difference between us and Boise State. We could get up for 2 tough games a year too and go undefeated against the likes of Nevada and Wyoming; or in our case WKU and UCF.

You forgot to mention the 5 NFL draft picks,

the fact that our o-coordinator was actually our former o-coordinator,

and our head coach is a defensive guy by trade and yet couldn't finish any better than 5th in the conference (total defense, scoring defense)with 4 NFL draft picks.

excuses are for losers. we should have been expected to win the conference last year with the all time yardage leader in the BE and 4 (maybe 5) NFL upperclassmen on the defense.

I understand the Grothe injury but I'm not sure we beat Pitt(41-14), Rutgers(31-0) or Cincy (34-17) with him.

Maybe 1 more win against UConn but BJ played pretty well in that one.

Pitt and Cincy would've been much closer with Grothe. We probably win in Tampa with Grothe at the helm of the Cincy game.

Archived