Hypothetical: 2009 Season Results

IncrediBULL

We finished 7 - 5 last season. In your opinion, if Holtz and his new assistants had been here last season, how would we have finished the season?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

Now that we have seen a little of what Holtz is planning for the year, and given the glimpses of him from the articles, video, etc, what is your opinion of how USF would have done last season if we had had Holtz and his coaching team in charge of the talent we had.

Also interested in why you believe that way.

(yes, I know the word "won" is incorrect as "one" in the poll options.  I caught it but it cannot be modified.  Plus, this isn't english class, it is a message board.)

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

We had coaching issues for some games.  Rutgirls had our number because of preparation and new coaches would have changed that situation. 

Our running game was pathetic, and we could have used Ford better last year we would have seen a better outcome.  Running by committee is a bad idea.

• Content Count:  8,748
  • Days Won:  23

I said 1-2 more. Holtz has proven he can win conference titles  as a head coach at lower levels. even with less talent than some of his competitors. that shows he knows how to manage a season. He proved it before we hired him.

I appreciate everything the Jim did but he never really proved his head coaching chops before we hired him. This was his first gig. He never exceeded expectations during conference play. In fact he finished behind where the media picked us more often then not.

• Content Count:  3,896

He never exceeded expectations during conference play. In fact he finished behind where the media picked us more often then not.

I'm not going to outright disagree but I'd like to see some proof of this assertion.

It's not like the media has ever picked us to win the league, or even be second I don't think.

He never exceeded expectations during conference play. In fact he finished behind where the media picked us more often then not.

I'm not going to outright disagree but I'd like to see some proof of this assertion.

It's not like the media has ever picked us to win the league, or even be second I don't think.

we were picked to finish 4th last year with 3 first place votes - we finished 6th

the year before we were picked to finish 2nd with 1 first place vote - we finished 6th

• Content Count:  21,615
  • Days Won:  10

I think 2008 they thought we might finish second, I could be wrong.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  3,184
  • Days Won:  12

Holtz wouldn't have done any better than CJL did. For every mid-season loss we had that was supposedly CJL fault, there was an early season win that can also be attributed to CJL. I hold CJL in much higher esteem than my peers on this board and although I hope I am wrong but I just don't see Holtz doing any better unless he is able to recruit better, which is entirely possible with the last name he has. But all things being equal, CJL is not a worse coach than Holtz and again I hope I am wrong. We certainly won't know this year, with the lack of offense, unless BJ and the defense can score a bunch of points on their own, we will be lucky to win 7 games. Next year will be when we find out if Holtz is really the savior or if we are just going to be regulated to second tier based on the makeup of our team.

Hijacked and Rambling

Wins

Stony Brook

Western Kentucky

FAU

UConn (possibly, all 6 games have been won by the home team)  

Loss

#3 Florida (nope, although in my heart we are going to kill 'em)

#15 Pitt (nope)

#25 West Virginia (Thurs. night, need I say more?)

#26 Cincinnati (OK, this is another possibility)

#13 Miami (nope)

Maybes

Rutgers (I think they hate us a little and will have extra incentive although we are bound to beat them eventually, lost 4 in a row to them being outscored 132-63)

Louisville (all 7 games have been won by the home team)

Syracuse (they are bound to beat us eventually)

So if we get our wins and maybes then we are 7-5, and St Pete bowl bound.

• Content Count:  12,718
  • Days Won:  25

Outcoached too often.    IN MY OPINION Leavitt lost the team last year.    

Nevere seemed IN MY OPINION to adapt to the players on the field.

Holtz wouldn't have done any better than CJL did. For every mid-season loss we had that was supposedly CJL fault, there was an early season win that can also be attributed to CJL. I hold CJL in much higher esteem than my peers on this board and although I hope I am wrong but I just don't see Holtz doing any better unless he is able to recruit better, which is entirely possible with the last name he has. But all things being equal, CJL is not a worse coach than Holtz and again I hope I am wrong. We certainly won't know this year, with the lack of offense, unless BJ and the defense can score a bunch of points on their own, we will be lucky to win 7 games. Next year will be when we find out if Holtz is really the savior or if we are just going to be regulated to second tier based on the makeup of our team.

Hijacked and Rambling

Wins

Stony Brook

Western Kentucky

FAU

UConn (possibly, all 6 games have been won by the home team)  

Loss

#3 Florida (nope, although in my heart we are going to kill 'em)

#15 Pitt (nope)

#25 West Virginia (Thurs. night, need I say more?)

#26 Cincinnati (OK, this is another possibility but they have proven they can beat us here)

#13 Miami (nope)

Maybes

Rutgers (I think they hate us a little and will have extra incentive although we are bound to beat them eventually, lost 4 in a row to them being outscored 132-63)

Louisville (all 7 games have been won by the home team)

Syracuse (they are bound to beat us eventually)

So if we get our wins and maybes then we are 7-5, and St Pete bowl bound.

Holtz will prove to be a better coach.

conference games are all that matter.

Taking head-to-head into consideration, Leavitt finished 5th,5th,4th,6th,6th in the big east.

He always had an excuse. not enough depth. too many injuries. no dining hall.etc. etc.

Holtz found a way to win 2 conference titles in 5 years. That was after taking over a program that won 3 games in 2 years before he arrived.

Leavitt never finished above 4th.

Holtz had some big OOC wins too. V Tech, WVU, etc.

• Content Count:  7,201

2009 we had a top 25 recruiting class.  This past season, we sent 8 guys to the nfl, 6 via the draft.  We had a ton of talent, and it was getting better.  Yet our standing in the BE got worse.  That HAS to be a coaching issue.  Inability to adapt.

And to the earlier post from CophBulls, ouch that Rutgers stat killed me.  Rutgers lost 4 in a row to them being outscored 132-63.  It looks even uglier when you put it that way. 

I think Holtz could have mustered up at leat 1 win and possibly 2 last year with teh talent we had.  Even with the Grothe injury BJ stepped up and we beat FSU. 

Archived