• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hypothetical: 2009 Season Results

We finished 7 - 5 last season. In your opinion, if Holtz and his new assistants had been here last season, how would we have finished the season?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Last year we had new o and d coordinators, one of the greenest offensive lines in all of the BCS schools (less than 19 starts among them all) and we lost our starting QB for the season when he decided to play superman against the div2 school and didn't tell anyone he was injured, went in and got more injured.  Even if we had Knute Rockney or Paul Bryant as the head ballcoach, it would have been a down season. 

You forgot to mention the 5 NFL draft picks,

the fact that our o-coordinator was actually our former o-coordinator,

and our head coach is a defensive guy by trade and yet couldn't finish any better than 5th in the conference (total defense, scoring defense)with 4 NFL draft picks.

excuses are for losers. we should have been expected to win the conference last year with the all time yardage leader in the BE and 4 (maybe 5) NFL upperclassmen on the defense.

I understand the Grothe injury but I'm not sure we beat Pitt(41-14), Rutgers(31-0) or Cincy (34-17) with him.

Maybe 1 more win against UConn but BJ played pretty well in that one.

Pitt and Cincy would've been much closer with Grothe. We probably win in Tampa with Grothe at the helm of the Cincy game.

maybe but Grothe had never beaten cincy.

I thought the game was over when Pike got hurt. No way a Leavitt defense would let a #2 shove it down his throat.

Kelly is a great coach. He's proven it on every level.

He lost his NFL Heisman hopeful QB for 3 1/2 conference games and still went undefeated.

BTW cincy defense ranked better than ours(scoring, total defense) in conference play.

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

Ironically, I think the defense did a decent job that night. A few big plays were letup and they were on the field a lot because of an inept offense is what I attribute the loss to. Guidugli and Collaros killed us that game, Pike, Pead, and Gilyard were all shut down.

As we've learned since then Collaros is no slouch. If anything the teams that let him run all over them after he demonstrated it against us should be more embarrassed than us. We were his FSU of sorts, it's difficult to prepare for an unknown element like that. Other teams figured out BJ after the FSU game, but that first game he caught the FSU defense off guard.

Ironically, I think the defense did a decent job that night. A few big plays were letup and they were on the field a lot because of an inept offense is what I attribute the loss to. Guidugli and Collaros killed us that game, Pike, Pead, and Gilyard were all shut down.

As we've learned since then Collaros is no slouch. If anything the teams that let him run all over them after he demonstrated it against us should be more embarrassed than us. We were his FSU of sorts, it's difficult to prepare for an unknown element like that. Other teams figured out BJ after the FSU game, but that first game he caught the FSU defense off guard.

While it's difficult to prepare for an unknown element, our freakin defensive co-ordinator recruited the kid to play at cincy.

If anybody knew his strengths and weaknesses, it should have been tresey. He should have known he could run and should have put a spy on him. he still ran wild after a 75 yard TD run.

I still find it hard to believe that a defense with 4 NFL(possibly more) upperclassmen and a head coach who's specialty is defense can rank statistically worse then a defense that lost 10 starters and their d- coordinator (to us, ironically) and a head coach  known as an offensive guru.

Guest Sunburned

it's difficult to prepare for an unknown element like that.

Unkown element???  Our defensive coordinator was intimately familiar with Collaros.

• Content Count:  3,802

I know, it's been stated that Tresey recruited him in the past and that he's a bafoon for not knowing what he could do.

I don't have a defense for Tresey, he did a lot of things wrong last year aside from handing Collaros. However, still, I'm sure even he didn't realize he'd show up the way he did. BJ Daniels played in FSU's backyard but  were still seemingly shocked by just how good he was on the ground in that game. I'm sure Joe knew Collaros could run it but not exactly how adept he'd be immediately at it.

• Content Count:  7,201

In the early years CJL probably got more out his talent because he worked them hard.  Average players and teams can overachieve by hard work and attitude.  He helped instill that work ethic.  I hope Holtz works them hard and isnt too soft.  Im not a big fan of pop sicles and cookie socials.  but am ok with a brief break in the middle of practice.  kind of like halftime at the games.   

• Content Count:  1,757
  • Days Won:  0

Bull 94, I don't care if we had the 2002 Buccaneer defense, you aren't going to win when you can't control the football / clock.  Our offense was constantly putting our Defense in a bind.  I can't say I blame them with a RS Fresh QB and the most inexperienced O line in the Big East.

So what our O coordinator was our o coordinator from years ago??? he was still the second new O coordinator in 2 years... just because he was here years ago, that still doesn't mean he had the time or training with last years team to produce consistency.

The fact is we were two years away from having the depth to pull off a complete season and win the conference.  That timetable did not magically change when Holtz arrived (arguable it may have set it back) but we won't see this team really be ready to push for that BE BCS bowl until 2011. 

Bull 94, I don't care if we had the 2002 Buccaneer defense, you aren't going to win when you can't control the football / clock.  Our offense was constantly putting our Defense in a bind.  I can't say I blame them with a RS Fresh QB and the most inexperienced O line in the Big East.

So what our O coordinator was our o coordinator from years ago??? he was still the second new O coordinator in 2 years... just because he was here years ago, that still doesn't mean he had the time or training with last years team to produce consistency.

The fact is we were two years away from having the depth to pull off a complete season and win the conference.  That timetable did not magically change when Holtz arrived (arguable it may have set it back) but we won't see this team really be ready to push for that BE BCS bowl until 2011. 

we were 5th in the BE in time of possession. Cincy, Louisville and UConn were below us. 2 of those teams beat us and finished higher. Syracuse controlled the clock better than cincy.

Our defense ranked dead last in 3rd down conversion against. they gave up a first down 49.5% of the time. think about that stat for 1 second.

our offense ranked 6th in 3rd down conversions for at 38.1%. Conference champ Cincy was ranked #3 at 38.9%. .8% difference.

Maybe it was the veteran defense that couldn't get off the field instead of the rookie offense that couldn't stay on it?

Canales was our pass game coordinator for 2 years before taking over for gregory. to say he didn't have the time is ridiculous.

we were always 2 years away with leavitt. he needed the perfect season to compete for a conference title. he had 5 NFL draft picks and finished in 6th. that's a disgrace. how many would he need to actually win the **** thing?

Guest Sunburned

Who was responsible for the poor offense, season after season??  Who got out coached in the Beast??

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,638
  • Days Won:  424

it's difficult to prepare for an unknown element like that.

Unkown element???  Our defensive coordinator was intimately familiar with Collaros.

And because he was known by Tresey means we should have stopped him .....? So I guess  BE DC's didn't know about Grothe, either.  ::)

The defense had already played over half the game against a statue at QB. I'm sure Tresey did all he could to warn the players about Collaros but I'm not sure how easy it is to shift gears like that in the heat of the game ...

Archived