• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hypothetical: 2009 Season Results

We finished 7 - 5 last season. In your opinion, if Holtz and his new assistants had been here last season, how would we have finished the season?  

50 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,048
  • Days Won:  11

in 20 years i won't get mad or frustrated or annoyed by what people type on the internet....

lol...

or maybe you will  :D

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

in 20 years i won't get mad or frustrated or annoyed by what people type on the internet....

lol...

or maybe you will  :D

:chainsaw :chainsaw

• Content Count:  7,201
  • Days Won:  3

This question and poll appears to be a desperate attempt to erase the legacy of Jim Leavitt at the University of South Florida.  Skip Holtz hasn't even won or coached a single game and you're already trying to rewrite history.  Holtz is going to have his hands full living up to the expectations of many of you who most likely will be the first to turn on him when he doesn't.  At least see how the guy holds up through an entire season before you annoint him the heir apparent to Urban Meyer.  Judging from his bowl record he is going to have a very tough time being the world beater some of you make him out to be.

Not that I care enough to respond to your post, because you are supposedly CJL's friend, but since I started the post I figured I'd respond.  First, for your age, and trust me I'm not a kid, you are a bit too sensitive.  Second, this was not an indictment on leavitt.  In my take, Leavitt's biggest problem was that he could not make the appropriate changes or get the right assistants around him.  I don't know why that is, could be money, maybe his style, maybe it is hard to attract talent, who knows, but bottom line is we had a lot of changes there, except for the ones that needed to happen and didn't. 

I for one am a Leavitt fan.  However, it does not erase the fact that the past three seasons we started out 6 games undefeated, and then fell miserably, even further down in the BE last year.  And, on top of that, we had arguably the best talent this team has ever seen.  So if we had the best athletes, a known conference, a coach who has been with the program, what is left.  Either the coach and assistants were not making the right calls, or they had the wrong people, but in general they took the best talent to date and underperformed.  We had more guys go to the NFL than UM or FSU this past draft.  Second in state to UF.  Pretty impressive. 

So now to the purpse of this question.  Wasn't to slam.  But what it was is that with a different way of running the team, and with a different coaching team (not just HC but all coaches) would we have gotten more out of the best talent USF has ever had last season.  And it is an opinion poll, not based on scientific evidence or fact or anything else.  Clearly, based on the reads and posts, it was a hot topic and people found it interesting.

Now on to my last thought on this topic.  I have had season tix for 13 seasons.  CJL was our HC and I was 100% behind them.  An incident occured last fall that caused his demise.  I don't work for USF.  I am not the AD nor the Prez.  I didn't conduct the investigation, flawed or not.  But for many reasons outside of my control he is gone.  He was replaced with what I believe is an awesome candidate.  I cannot say I am glad CJL is gone. But I can say that I am very happy with his replacement, Holtz.  I think Holtz will do a great job.  He is definitely making changes, hopefully for the better.  And now, as a USF alumni, and a USF fan, I will be 100% behind Holtz as long as he is our head coach.  One chapter has ended, another has begun.  This does not mean I am not thankful for the first 13 years, I would be the first to thank Leavitt to his face, as I have at many different events in the past.  However Holtz is at the helm much like Urban is at UF and Spurrier is gone, and Jimbo is at FSU and Bowden is gone.  Things change and people's allegences will change with that.

It is time you move on or develop thicker skin.  Every post about Holtz is not a slam on Leavitt. 

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Addendum for Socrates...

Since you are such and thoughtful and logical person, please tell me what you like about Holtz that makes you think he'll be a great coach?  Is it his bowl record or is it his overall record of 72-50?

Exactly what is it about Skip Holtz that has you so excited?

He took a team that was 3-20 the prior 2 years before his arrival and won 2 conference titles within 5 years.

• Content Count:  27
  • Days Won:  0

What a thoughtful person you are!

I'm going to have to call you Socrates because you think things through so much.

So...Socrates.  Please explain Bob Stoops' slide.  You know, he and Jim were co-defensive coordinators together at Kansas State.  Do you think it's a flaw in Bill Snyder's mentoring program?

PS...For someone that didn't want to reply to me you sure wrote out a lot of, well, masturbation.

Stoops is quite the bum:

1999 Oklahoma 7–5 5–3 T–2nd L Independence — —

2000 Oklahoma 13–0 8–0 1st W Orange † 1 1

2001 Oklahoma 11–2 6–2 2nd W Cotton 6 6

2002 Oklahoma 12–2 6–2 T–1st W Rose † 5 5

2003 Oklahoma 12–2 8–0 1st L Sugar † 3 3

2004 Oklahoma 12–1 8–0 1st L Orange † 3 3

2005 Oklahoma 8–4 6–2 2nd W Holiday 22 22

2006 Oklahoma 11–3 7–1 1st L Fiesta † 11 11

2007 Oklahoma 11–3 6–2 1st L Fiesta † 8 8

2008 Oklahoma 12–2 7–1 T-1st L BCS NCG † 5 5

2009 Oklahoma 8–5 5–3 T–3rd W Sun

2010 Top ten in most preseason rankings.

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

I'm going to have to call you Socrates because you think things through so much.

So...Socrates.  Please explain Bob Stoops' slide.  You know, he and Jim were co-defensive coordinators together at Kansas State.  Do you think it's a flaw in Bill Snyder's mentoring program?

PS...For someone that didn't want to reply to me you sure wrote out a lot of, well, masturbation.

crazy how different their career paths went....

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

crazy how different their career paths went....

wasn't Mangino on that staff?

and Leach was on Stoops staff wasn't he?

yeah I think there was a flaw in Snyder's mentoring program.

• Content Count:  4,738

This question and poll appears to be a desperate attempt to erase the legacy of Jim Leavitt at the University of South Florida.  Skip Holtz hasn't even won or coached a single game and you're already trying to rewrite history.  Holtz is going to have his hands full living up to the expectations of many of you who most likely will be the first to turn on him when he doesn't.  At least see how the guy holds up through an entire season before you annoint him the heir apparent to Urban Meyer.  Judging from his bowl record he is going to have a very tough time being the world beater some of you make him out to be.

Not that I care enough to respond to your post, because you are supposedly CJL's friend,

Incredibull I believe you have your facts wrong.  Supposedly Mizzou was the roomate of some guy that was friends with Leavitt.  That makes Mizzou a groupie.

• Content Count:  4,738

lol...

with Data's 20 yrs greater knowledge and experience on the internets, he must be pooling all of that experience he had in the AOL chatrooms to come to his conclusions.  Fire up the 2400 bps dialup.  Good job

• Content Count:  3,802
  • Days Won:  3

I don't think Leavitt is hurting financially or career wise (obviously he's toxic right now but he'll parlay his job with USF into a big gig in a few years).

Archived