• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Things Won't Change With Current Regime

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

Well then jg, I guess if that's not doom and gloom we have two different definitions.

I'll wait and see the games played before I call 'em over.  And I think that's the issue or difference between many of us.  Some of us that have watched in recent years know we're able to snap out of a slump as easily as we go into one.  We'd rather take our loss and move on to the next game anticipating improvement and hopefully a better outcome. 

Again, how you can even be a fan of the game with that kind of outlook is puzzling to me.  As a fan, a former player, and a current coach I know you still have to play the game and anything can happen.

Based on what I have seen so far we are not good and could possibly go winless the rest of the year. That is reality, not Doom and Gloom. I am at the stadium every week, no matter, cheering on the Bulls. The same can not be said for some, whatever the case may be. Why some people are good with mediocrity is beyond me. Lets just expect to go around .500 (or dare I say below) in the Big East and be OK with it ? Nope.

Yeah and as a former player, coach myself you set high standards and goals for yourself and are not satisfied until you achieve them. If not, you are probably not a good coach or athlete.

Snap out of a slump ? Not what I have witnessed over the last 5 years, 2006 being the exception not the rule.

2004 Over our head all year 4-7

2005 Started 6-3 finish 6-6

2006 Started 6-3 finish 9-4 (great job)

2007 Started 6-0 finish 9-4

2008 Started 6-1 Finish 8-5

2009 Started 5-0 Finish ??? Guessing 7-5

Lighten up Francis! You would have a decent case if Grothe didn't get hurt and we were in the same scenario. But seeing that we have a Fresh QB, you have to give a little slack. I will wait to see the season finish out before I starting asking for coaches heads to be cut off.

cinncy humiliated usf in tampa with a back qb during game

injuries are part of the game

usc is winning with a  true freshman qb

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

usc not equal usf

• Content Count:  827
  • Days Won:  0

Well then jg, I guess if that's not doom and gloom we have two different definitions.

I'll wait and see the games played before I call 'em over.  And I think that's the issue or difference between many of us.  Some of us that have watched in recent years know we're able to snap out of a slump as easily as we go into one.  We'd rather take our loss and move on to the next game anticipating improvement and hopefully a better outcome. 

Again, how you can even be a fan of the game with that kind of outlook is puzzling to me.  As a fan, a former player, and a current coach I know you still have to play the game and anything can happen.

Based on what I have seen so far we are not good and could possibly go winless the rest of the year. That is reality, not Doom and Gloom. I am at the stadium every week, no matter, cheering on the Bulls. The same can not be said for some, whatever the case may be. Why some people are good with mediocrity is beyond me. Lets just expect to go around .500 (or dare I say below) in the Big East and be OK with it ? Nope.

Yeah and as a former player, coach myself you set high standards and goals for yourself and are not satisfied until you achieve them. If not, you are probably not a good coach or athlete.

Snap out of a slump ? Not what I have witnessed over the last 5 years, 2006 being the exception not the rule.

2004 Over our head all year 4-7

2005 Started 6-3 finish 6-6

2006 Started 6-3 finish 9-4 (great job)

2007 Started 6-0 finish 9-4

2008 Started 6-1 Finish 8-5

2009 Started 5-0 Finish ??? Guessing 7-5

Lighten up Francis! You would have a decent case if Grothe didn't get hurt and we were in the same scenario. But seeing that we have a Fresh QB, you have to give a little slack. I will wait to see the season finish out before I starting asking for coaches heads to be cut off.

cinncy humiliated usf in tampa with a back qb during game

injuries are part of the game

usc is winning with a  true freshman qb

USC got humiliated by a 3-5 Wash team with the #1 rated QB recruit in country last year! What's your point?

• Content Count:  46

[Why is it ridiculous for a university alumni to want a coaching change for his university?  I love Jim Leavitt.  I think he has done a tremendous job in getting this program to where we are today.  However, this team has not shown they can finish with a winning Big East record, let alone a Big East title.

Check where Cincinnati was before Brian Kelly was hired - they were solid, but no indication they would be this dominant.  How about Rutgers?  They've been better than we have over the last three years?  Check out UConn!  Don't give me any crap about we've only had football for 12+ years.  UConn has been around just as long as us.  We couldn't win at Louisville last year when Louisville couldn't even beat themselves in a scrimmage.  I'm not trying to measure this program against the likes of the Gaytors, Texas, USC, Alabama, etc... I'm looking at like vs. like.

It's one thing to lose close games in the final seconds, when they've played a clean game.  It's another thing altogether to be embarassed by lopsided scores, repetitive (and ridiculous) personal foul penalties (we average 5+ fifteen yard penalties a game), and poor special teams play. 

Is everyone ok with the fact that our D-line is offsides at least 3-4+ times a game?  How about the play calling?  Rod Smith doesn't look so bad anymore (I can't believe I just said that!).

Fans of teams are allowed to get frustrated.  You don't have to share the same opinion... I just ask that you try to look objectively at the patterns this football team has displayed since entering the Big East.

I love this team, and I want this team to win every week.  If Leavitt doesn't get this fixed this year, I believe he and his regime don't have another year.  There must be some improvement shown, and right now I'm not seeing it.]

• Content Count:  8,174
  • Days Won:  6

[Why is it ridiculous for a university alumni to want a coaching change for his university?  I love Jim Leavitt.  I think he has done a tremendous job in getting this program to where we are today.  However, this team has not shown they can finish with a winning Big East record, let alone a Big East title.

Check where Cincinnati was before Brian Kelly was hired - they were solid, but no indication they would be this dominant.  How about Rutgers?  They've been better than we have over the last three years?  Check out UConn!  Don't give me any crap about we've only had football for 12+ years.  UConn has been around just as long as us.  We couldn't win at Louisville last year when Louisville couldn't even beat themselves in a scrimmage.  I'm not trying to measure this program against the likes of the Gaytors, Texas, USC, Alabama, etc... I'm looking at like vs. like.

It's one thing to lose close games in the final seconds, when they've played a clean game.  It's another thing altogether to be embarassed by lopsided scores, repetitive (and ridiculous) personal foul penalties (we average 5+ fifteen yard penalties a game), and poor special teams play. 

Is everyone ok with the fact that our D-line is offsides at least 3-4+ times a game?  How about the play calling?  Rod Smith doesn't look so bad anymore (I can't believe I just said that!).

Fans of teams are allowed to get frustrated.  You don't have to share the same opinion... I just ask that you try to look objectively at the patterns this football team has displayed since entering the Big East.

I love this team, and I want this team to win every week.  If Leavitt doesn't get this fixed this year, I believe he and his regime don't have another year.  There must be some improvement shown, and right now I'm not seeing it.]

im just afraid if we do make a change the University will go the Louisville rout and hire a scrub

• Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Well said.

• Content Count:  827

Good points, but for every analogy you use for making coaching changes that so far seemed to work out why didn't you show that ones that didn't work out.

Look at PItt for example. Do you know how many people in Pitt have wanted to kill Wannstadt? How many years recently have they had to endure mediocre seasons? Pitt has had the #1 recruiting class the last 5 years in the BIG EAST. It's not a coincidence that now 5 years later they look to be the top or at least one of the top 2 programs in the Big East.  Guys it takes probably 4 to 5 years once you start having those really good recruiting classes. USF has only really had 1! This past year. So I say give it some time now that we are recruiting like a BCS school and see what happens. If in 3 or 4 more years we still haven't won a Big East title, then I will be the first to say it is time for a change!

Anyways. Go Bulls!

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

UConn may have moved to D1A at the same time we did, but they've been playing football for 112 years.

I'm looking objectively at what we've done since entering the Big East. I doesn't matter who the coach is. We need to recruiting nationally and we're not. That's because we have no money to do so. Without a proper recruiting budget, growth will be at the rate it is, slow.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

UConn may have moved to D1A at the same time we did, but they've been playing football for 112 years.

I'm looking objectively at what we've done since entering the Big East. I doesn't matter who the coach is. We need to recruiting nationally and we're not. That's because we have no money to do so. Without a proper recruiting budget, growth will be at the rate it is, slow.

I agree... I think (my opinion) a lot of this has to do with not having revenue coming in from an OCS... if we had a third of the money that ends up lining the glazers wallets (parking, concessions, and not mention concert revenue) then we would have more money to scout, recruit, etc...

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

Nationally?? We barely have to recruit outside of our county!!

do you know how much d-1 talent comes out of this state??

I bet we could fill our roster with guys from Hillsborough and the counties that surround it and compete just fine.

Our recruiting budget is so low because we don't need to travel very far to get talent. How many Connecticut players fill UConn's roster? that's why their recruiting expenses are so much higher.

Archived