• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Things Won't Change With Current Regime

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

The question is not about recruiting budget but how do you get those guys to come to USF?  That's the issue smazza overlooks.  He thinks you show a 17 year old kid a picture of bikini-clad chicks at the Andros pool and they sign up on the spot.  He doesn't realize they have bikini-clad chicks not only at UF, FSU, and Miami, but also at UCF, FIU and FAU.

That's the $64 billion question.  You have to find a way in to those kids.  There should be no doubt that Florida basically gets first pick on all those guys.  Not to mention out of state traditional powers still pick before USF (another fact that smazza and ilk don't get).  We don't yet have the program built to where a kid says, "hmmmm, Oklahoma or USF...USF!!!" We celebrate one top recruit, the Gators land a dozen or more.

There is a lot of talent in Florida, but we are way down the line.  We have moved up significantly in pecking order (another fact smazza and ilk ignore), but we're just not there yet. 

There are kids out here that want to play at Florida and not USF (even if they think it is UCF or FIU).  We need to get a little more real in this regard.  Despite what we board rats think, USF does not have brand power at this time.

When we got the 7th or 8th best DB in the county that held up will when we were playing DI-AA.  It doesn't hold up well in BCS play.

Last season we reportedly had our best class (yep, a fact still ignored by many).  It does not happen overnight, but if that is the start of a trend, I'll take it.  Hopefully with the win over FSU and maybe Miami (big wish), we continue to climb the ladder.

We can't deny we are what we are, a small fish in a big pond, trying to get the best talent we can, but picking through leftovers has been the history - with an occasional landing of a big fish.

The pictures of chicks poolside is not enough to attract the top talent even for guys fixated on Captain Winkie (like smazza).   :o

good post.

It has nothing to do with budgets. Of course programs outside of Florida, Texas, and Cali will spend more to recruit. They have to constantly fly coaches and recruits to and from those states.

It has more to do with our reputation and relationships. Heck if we could have landed the kids from lakeland high, armwood, hillsborough high and plant we would own the BE.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

The question is not about recruiting budget but how do you get those guys to come to USF?  That's the issue smazza overlooks.  He thinks you show a 17 year old kid a picture of bikini-clad chicks at the Andros pool and they sign up on the spot.  He doesn't realize they have bikini-clad chicks not only at UF, FSU, and Miami, but also at UCF, FIU and FAU.

That's the $64 billion question.  You have to find a way in to those kids.  There should be no doubt that Florida basically gets first pick on all those guys.  Not to mention out of state traditional powers still pick before USF (another fact that smazza and ilk don't get).  We don't yet have the program built to where a kid says, "hmmmm, Oklahoma or USF...USF!!!" We celebrate one top recruit, the Gators land a dozen or more.

There is a lot of talent in Florida, but we are way down the line.  We have moved up significantly in pecking order (another fact smazza and ilk ignore), but we're just not there yet. 

There are kids out here that want to play at Florida and not USF (even if they think it is UCF or FIU).  We need to get a little more real in this regard.  Despite what we board rats think, USF does not have brand power at this time.

When we got the 7th or 8th best DB in the county that held up will when we were playing DI-AA.  It doesn't hold up well in BCS play.

Last season we reportedly had our best class (yep, a fact still ignored by many).  It does not happen overnight, but if that is the start of a trend, I'll take it.  Hopefully with the win over FSU and maybe Miami (big wish), we continue to climb the ladder.

We can't deny we are what we are, a small fish in a big pond, trying to get the best talent we can, but picking through leftovers has been the history - with an occasional landing of a big fish.

The pictures of chicks poolside is not enough to attract the top talent even for guys fixated on Captain Winkie (like smazza).   :o

good post.

It has nothing to do with budgets. Of course programs outside of Florida, Texas, and Cali will spend more to recruit. They have to constantly fly coaches and recruits to and from those states.

It has more to do with our reputation and relationships. Heck if we could have landed the kids from lakeland high, armwood, hillsborough high and plant we would own the BE.

When you don't have reputation and tradition, that's where the money comes in. Recruiting to get those relationships started takes people and marketing. People for presence. Marketing for flash. Even locally, you need money for that. We don't have the booster support for that.

94, you're right, we'll have to agree to disagree.

Now where was I? Oh, yeah. I have to clean the truck out. Sucks using it to actually haul stuff in. I bought it for tailgating. party-favor.gif

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,070
  • Days Won:  469

I did not mean to infer that recruiting budgets were irrelevant, but I believe that even with a top tier budget, we'd have a hard time.  Money certainly helps, but we have a way to go in other areas too.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  3,034
  • Days Won:  5

I did not mean to infer that recruiting budgets were irrelevant, but I believe that even with a top tier budget, we'd have a hard time.  Money certainly helps, but we have a way to go in other areas too.

I'm not disagreeing with that, but it is one fix. You're right, the problem is much larger than just one thing. However, I believe those things would still be there, regardless of who the head coach is, and I think we still have the right guy at the top.

It... is... a... slow... process. I wish it wasn't, but it just is.

You said it yourself. We had our first top 25 recruiting class last year. Those recruits were built from the successes of 2007 and they don't get here until NEXT year. Let's see what happens when we string 2 or three of these together, before we decide to throw the baby out with the bath water.

That's all I'm saying. I'm just sayin'  :hippy

Now I have to get cleaned up for dinner. How can cedar mulch make that much of a mess is beyond me. spin.gif

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

good post.

When you don't have reputation and tradition, that's where the money comes in. Recruiting to get those relationships started takes people and marketing. People for presence. Marketing for flash. Even locally, you need money for that. We don't have the booster support for that.

Now where was I? Oh, yeah. I have to clean the truck out. ***** using it to actually haul stuff in. I bought it for tailgating. party-favor.gif

marketing and recruiting budgets are not the same. do we need to market more? sure. Do i think we need to fly all over the country to find talent? No.

we need more people to recruit? I thought only coaches were allowed to recruit. Don't we have as many coaches as every other program?

Unless you're a SEC program or USC, the NCAA frowns upon boosters with bags full of cash doing the recruiting.

I understand it will take time to build the relationships with high schools and it will take time for big time Florida recruits to see us as a real alternative but I think it's happening. We've had some near misses with guys like Ingram from UF, Perriloux(sp?) from LSU, etc. but we are making inroads.

Giddens saw us as a legit alternative to UF. How much did it cost to recruit a kid that lived 30 minutes from campus?

• 2 weeks later...

• Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  0

I guess this cat might be right ? Instant replay year after year after year after year

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

Things Won't Change With Current Regime. Your right. But this will take a toll on recruiting.

• Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

we lost to rutgers 31-0

we have so many problems from talent to coaching to schemes we run on and on and on

no top football player is coming to play for jim leavitt with his crazy antics

what stable family would allow their to be coached by leavitt

he has done such damage with his antics that a win over miami wouldnt help

good post.

Now where was I? Oh, yeah. I have to clean the truck out. ***** using it to actually haul stuff in. I bought it for tailgating. party-favor.gif

marketing and recruiting budgets are not the same. do we need to market more? sure. Do i think we need to fly all over the country to find talent? No.

we need more people to recruit? I thought only coaches were allowed to recruit. Don't we have as many coaches as every other program?

Unless you're a SEC program or USC, the NCAA frowns upon boosters with bags full of cash doing the recruiting.

I understand it will take time to build the relationships with high schools and it will take time for big time Florida recruits to see us as a real alternative but I think it's happening. We've had some near misses with guys like Ingram from UF, Perriloux(sp?) from LSU, etc. but we are making inroads.

Giddens saw us as a legit alternative to UF. How much did it cost to recruit a kid that lived 30 minutes from campus?

how does cinncinati do it

we cant even beat rutgers

stop  it

usf should be better than cinncinati

usf shouldnt lose to rutgers

i am comparing usf to the other crummy teams in the crummy big east

didnt usf beat pitt at pitt in 2001

usf has regressed

brad--stop making excuses----nothing is changing with leavitt

usf is less than average

Archived