• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Leavitt endorses UCF for Big East expansion:

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Trust me on this one Sanjay.

Jim, the thing is the Big East and their schools are finding that the basketball revenue is not near what the football is.  The 200 million contract we got in 2007 as the best conference in basketball pales in comparison to some of the lower contracts in football.

The schools aren't stupid, football is forever where the money will be. College basketball is popular for 5 weeks and just doesn't pay as well.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Joe - I understand ... but that doesn't mean the football schools would walk away from the basketball revenue.

And the bball schools would lose some $$ for their basketball contracts as well.

• Content Count:  2,511
  • Days Won:  0

Well, I think if you're making a case for entry into the Big East, you might want to find a way to include the football program as a good reason....maybe in place of "Incredible academics" NOBODY's buying that one! 

:ROFLMAO

didn't USF have a losing record the season before being invited to the Big East? that throws out that argument

813, don't worry about their merits, worry about our viability.  Point is, we are the most attractive and lucrative when we look at the totality of the circumstances.  What we offer is attractive and is a trump card to any other competition. The proof is in the pooding.

1) He should at least get our merits correct.

2) You don't offer a trump card to any other competition.  And since the Big East commissioner pretty much eliminated C-USA teams it's rather moot.

3) What the hell is "pooding"?  Do you mean "pudding"?  (Yup, you clearly went to UCF).

"Pooding" is what UCF fans did in their pants when USF beat them down in 4 straight seasons.  :ROFLMAO

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

This was fun to read. Right now the best option is ND or kick them out and find an all in member.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Trust me on this one Sanjay.

Jim, the thing is the Big East and their schools are finding that the basketball revenue is not near what the football is.  The 200 million contract we got in 2007 as the best conference in basketball pales in comparison to some of the lower contracts in football.

The schools aren't stupid, football is forever where the money will be. College basketball is popular for 5 weeks and just doesn't pay as well.

Taking that to be true, which way do you think they go?  Add 1, 2 or 4?  I don't think there are 4 good options.  I think TCU is a good idea, but it could be a problem for the non-revenue sports.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

SANJAY,

that I have no clue. And I'm pretty sure no one does.

• Content Count:  4,501

If they go the split-and-add-mid-majors route, then why not add four: TCU, Memphis, Houston, and Tulane ?

BE is already suffering from perceived weakness.  Adding all those teams would only add fuel to the fire.  That being said I would like the idea.  The BE could use a couple of teams that would regularly be at the bottom of the pile and make the league leaders look better - at least their w/l record.  Works for the SEC,Big Ten,Big 12 and Pac 10.

• Content Count:  172

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yet again and without fail the never ending argument continues.

What makes these delusional ucf fans believe they will be in the BEast?

Why would the BEast consider bringing in this team? How does this benefit the Big East?

This is a team that can not beat USF or even compete in cusa.

They would be playing teams like WVU, UC, and RU... I dont think they would beat cuse.

Im not saying this because I hate ucf (and I do)I am saying this because it is the truth.

UCiF fans say the game would bring alot of interest and money to the two teams. How much interest would there be in USF killing them every year?

OK, I guess I can see playing them every year to get asses in seats. But at the end of the day we are still playing the equal to North west neraska university for girls.

We dont have one team in the preseason polls. UCiF in the BEast would water down a hurting conf.

People dont take us seriously and this would not help.

Example: Some kids that would have went to USF now go to ucf and the Big East cant win any OOC games.

IMO, it would not help the Big East to have this team, it would kill them.

I do think that another team would be a good thing I just dont know who.

I dont think any of the CUSA teams would benefit the BEast.

---------------------------------------------------

I posted that on rivals.

If they go the split-and-add-mid-majors route, then why not add four: TCU, Memphis, Houston, and Tulane ?

BE is already suffering from perceived weakness.  Adding all those teams would only add fuel to the fire.  That being said I would like the idea.  The BE could use a couple of teams that would regularly be at the bottom of the pile and make the league leaders look better - at least their w/l record.  Works for the SEC,Big Ten,Big 12 and Pac 10.

Yes, it would not be ideal.  But the situation would be 'forced' if football teams wanted to add a 9th member, but that broke the conference up... then we'd be 8 teams and in a tough spot.  Better to go to 12 than 9... adding four major metropolitan areas, with bowl games, and getting the conference championship.

Houston and TCU are former Southwest Conference members...

I'd rather take the four I mentioned above than add UCF.

Archived