• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Coach Leavitt endorses UCF for Big East expansion:

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

If they go the split-and-add-mid-majors route, then why not add four: TCU, Memphis, Houston, and Tulane ?

BE is already suffering from perceived weakness.  Adding all those teams would only add fuel to the fire.  That being said I would like the idea.  The BE could use a couple of teams that would regularly be at the bottom of the pile and make the league leaders look better - at least their w/l record.  Works for the SEC,Big Ten,Big 12 and Pac 10.

Yes, it would not be ideal.  But the situation would be 'forced' if football teams wanted to add a 9th member, but that broke the conference up... then we'd be 8 teams and in a tough spot.  Better to go to 12 than 9... adding four major metropolitan areas, with bowl games, and getting the conference championship.

Houston and TCU are former Southwest Conference members...

I'd rather take the four I mentioned above than add UCF.

Jim if you add 4 for a championship game then where do you play the game?  At the home of the school with the better record, like CUSA?  Or neutral site like the "big boys" and the ACC?  If neutral then just wait until the first USF-UConn championship game.  Or under your hypothetical, the Tulane-Syracuse game.

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neutral.  Because we all know the Vanderbilt - Mississippi State games have been packed. As are the Duke - Virginia ACC championships... or the Baylor-Iowa State matchups in the Big 12.

Just because there are bad teams in a conference doesn't mean they will some how play for a championship.

USF v WVU in Washington would be a lot ofun!  Cincinnati v Louisville in New York City?  Rutgers v Pittsburgh in Philadelphia?

(The MAC seems to be able to hold a neutral-site game... why couldn't the Big East)

And my "we should add four" only comes to fruition if the Big East basketball schools take their conference and go home, leaving the 8 football schools without a conference.

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Tell ND to be all in or all out. Then add 3 or 4 teams depending on the Irish. That makes 19 team bball and 12 team football. Best of both worlds. Super Conference in bball (Memphis would make the list) and a Conference Championship game in D.C.

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Jim, No one cracks on the MAC for poorly attended championship games because their home attendances are in the 20K-30K range, and they have no claim to being bigtime.

When the ACC does a neutral site championship and have 20K people show up (actual bodies not paid) it looks silly next to the SEC and Big 12 games.  Using yoru example, how many USF fans would go to washington for a championship game.  10K?  15K?  If we're lucky.  We could make the ACC game look jampacked.  Outside of WVU, UL and RU I would not expect any of the Big East fanbases to show up with more than 10K fans. 

You are right Sanjay. The Big East has never been known for have a good travelling fan base. WVU and VaTech in the old days, UL,RU and WVU now. That's about it. Yet, that was then. It is amazing what consistently winning could do. That is what USF needs to do. This area and the bandwagon fans are screaming for a consistent winner. Imagine if we finished in the Top 10 3 years in a row. There would be a waiting list for season tickets.

• Content Count:  10,565
  • Days Won:  7

When the ACC does a neutral site championship and have 20K people show up (actual bodies not paid) it looks silly next to the SEC and Big 12 games.  Using yoru example, how many USF fans would go to washington for a championship game.  10K?  15K?  If we're lucky.  We could make the ACC game look jampacked.  Outside of WVU, UL and RU I would not expect any of the Big East fanbases to show up with more than 10K fans.

If a Big East championship game is held, then in all likelihood it would be in New York. Outside of USF and maybe Cincinnati, every other program in the league would bring more than 10,000 of their fans.

I have always been opposed to the Big East adding teams to have a Championship game. You need look no further than the ACC to see how this is a bad idea for the Big East. You also do not want to go the way of the MAC and have one team host a Championship game.

The Big East (and PAC 10) determine their champion the right way by having all teams play another 1 time during the season.

Yes, the BEAST and PAC do determine the right way, but you gotta follow the money. The 12 and SEC are leaving people in the dust financially. A championship game offsets that for a league, thus the decision from the ACC. Thus far it has been a detriment to their league as far as "quality" of play, but they are not complaining about the dough.

• Content Count:  5,900
  • Days Won:  5

If a Big East championship game is held, then in all likelihood it would be in New York. Outside of USF and maybe Cincinnati, every other program in the league would bring more than 10,000 of their fans.

I have always been opposed to the Big East adding teams to have a Championship game. You need look no further than the ACC to see how this is a bad idea for the Big East. You also do not want to go the way of the MAC and have one team host a Championship game.

The Big East (and PAC 10) determine their champion the right way by having all teams play another 1 time during the season.

I don't think a neutral championship would be played in ridiculously cold weather. The BE would want it to be a good game, and both teams to look good going into Bowl selections, so they wouldn't want a 13-6 thriller with each team having 200 yards of total offense.

• Content Count:  7,693
  • Days Won:  2

I agree the Big East would need to make their neutral game in a location that is not a snow threat and it would need to be in the middle somewhere so that all fans can travel to it.

Since the SEC has the Georgia Dome locked down my vote would be for either the Super Dome in Louisiana or Titans Stadium in Nashville... Lousiana is pretty far but is a dome... Nashville is sort of in the middle of the Northern Big East teams and us the only Deep South team.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

There is no perfect system for deciding conf.  champ. You still get 3 way times etc that look towards polls or BCS to decide champ

Archived