• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

THE BEEF STUDS ARE A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  5,241
  • Days Won:  0

simpliest solution: WIN

Win and they will show up

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  4,016

It's really all summarized in the fact of pathetic students, pure and simple.  When I was at school we had better turnouts with a ton less students, and far less on campus.  Why because we had some pride.

Students should remember that one day you will want to have pride in your school and hope others will recognize it when you're out in the job world.  One small, tiny way to do that for a student is to sufficiently support the athletics when possible, make it part of your social calendar not a rare occurrence.  If just 1/10th of the students did that the attendance would rule.

I was at the PC game and was really embarrassed for the University, our students, and the Tampa bay Area in general.  I know our program isn't the greatest, but they're competitive and the conference brings through future NBA players and celebs every year.  Help support the team and they have a chance to climb the latter and win.  Against PC there were moments in the game where 6-7k screaming fans could have really made the difference for us, but instead 3k and about 200 students were like a whimper.

I am sick of reading the 'a few winning seasons' and we need 'better marketing' excuses.  Those are excuses for fans to explain why they are apathetic toward the program.  Those excuses make it easy to explain their lack of attendance when pressed.  But one day I only hope a few extra people will realize to be a "FAN" you must attend during the good AND THE BAD.  The marketing is fine, I seem to have friends who find their way there just fine without Woolard hand delivering and invitation.  That's an excuse, the USF advertising is much stronger than in the past and is right there with any University in the state.  Winning will help a bit, but only if fans care now will winning help jump attendance.  If we're bringing in 3k for PC, i almost feel like we'd get 5k for them if we were winning more...that's unacceptable.  A school our size should be striving for sellouts for at least the good programs, we should have sold out UL, Nova, Quette, and Cuse..instead there was 6-7k and nearly 1/3rd were fans of the opposition.  UNACCEPTABLE!!!!!!!!  I don't give a **** if you're team is losing, if a University, especially it's student body, can't turn out for a top 10 team...then go to Nova Southeastern University at least there people would understand why you don't care about your University or it's outward appearance.  Come here and you're just embarrassing yourself as a student by not attending or making any effort to do so...in fact, I believe any student that reads this site, and/or especially posts on it, should be able to say they've attended at least 1/2 of the hoops games this year-- if not they're a poser and can never be taken seriously again...btw, if you are a student and do not meet my attendance criteria i wouldn't respond to refute because outside of caring for the dying, or a job that completely procludes few excuses will hold water.

Universities are advanced at many levels, and in many ways...one way a student or general fan can advance is by attending events and showing opposing teams, viewers, and your players that we support.  That support becomes contagious to the players, it helps with a few wins, we get better recruits, we make post season, more people take notice.

• Content Count:  5,244
  • Days Won:  2

i'll be one to jump on the "student support sucks" bandwagon.

i drove up to Tampa from Bradenton for the Providence game alone because i couldn't find anyone down here that ever likes to get the **** off the couch...  and i was certain that some of my numerous friends that are still students and live on or around campus would ultimately meet up with me or ride with me to the Dome....

NOPE.

not a single student bothered to come out.

then after the game i went and hung out with the same students that didn't go, and they had friends [also students] come over that completely disowned USF, saying quote "it's my school but i'm not all into it like that."

it's a **** shame when u get free tickets to come out and see a sporting event and instead you'd rather sit on the couch and watch MTV reality shows.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

I'm an alumni and a current student...in the past I didn't go to games for two reasons.

One: I worked or had class during 90% or more of the games and it was hard enough to arrange my work scheduele to make it to 6 home football games.

Two: I fully admit that frankly I didn't care that much. I lost interest in basketball a very long time ago. I always kept up with Duke by default because of my family follows them but I never went out of my way for ANY basketball.

Because I love USF and I am a sports fan I've been trying to get back into basketball the last couple of seasons and try to make it to games when I can, but once again with my work and school schedule that can be difficult.

- I did go to providence, left class and went straight to the sundome school bag and all to catch what I could

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

PS - marketing and advertising are two different things. Be careful.

No, they're not. One is an example of the other.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Content Count:  815

if you want to be technical advertising is a component of marketing - just sayin

• Content Count:  809

The marketing department needs to do a better job of making students aware of when games are. I know several people that would go, but when asked why they didnt go to a game, they say "I didnt know we had a game tonight." What happened to the sandwhich boards that were all over campus last year showing what day and time ALL sporting events were? Sure, the Oracle is good, but not everyone reads the Oracle. You have to put the game info RIGHT in front of students faces for them to see it. Radio ads would also help on 620 and 1010. Athletics needs to put more money into marketing IMO.

It's not up to USF, it's up to ISP. ISP owns the marketing rights for USF.

• Content Count:  292

who the hell are the beef studs??

got pics?

• Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

if you want to be technical advertising is a component of marketing - just sayin

... which is exactly what I said. "Advertising is an example of marketing" means the same thing as "advertising is a component of marketing."

In any case, to say "fans shouldn't need marketing to go to the games" is completely naive. There is not a sports team in the country that would draw a big fanbase after a decade of being at the bottom of its league, and those that would draw more than USF is now would only draw fans because of successful marketing.

• Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

Go tell marketing professors at the business school and advertising professors at the journalism school that...it's like saying architecture and building construction majors are the same thing...

It's not foolish...lets put it this way. The school advertises in the Oracle...throws up schedules everywhere...does promotions for he students...put a billboard up around campus.

What more do you want? Personal invites? Campus greeters?

In the end the cost doesn't justify the means.

Our students know we have a basketball team. There are reminders all over campus. Many read the Oracle waiting for class.

There are plenty of opportunities to SEE there is a game, they just don't notice it because they really don't care.

Archived