• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

THE BEEF STUDS ARE A JOKE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,305
  • Days Won:  11

I certainly don't want to get into this arguement since I have no dog in the fight, but maybe somebody can enlighten me on something.

Faza - You may be the best one since you were involved in the founding of the Beef Studs...

My question is why were the Beef Studs founded as a different group than the Student Bulls Club?  It seems they have much the same function.  I know there is some kind of friction between the two groups, but from the outside (I am a parent of a student), it seems that if the two groups became one, they both would gain.

There's a few article links down below that explain it more in full. I was a member of the Student Athletic Association (now called the Student Bulls Club) since my freshman year, and still have the old-logo polo from it. Throughout my time at USF, I was in both organizations, fully supported both, and at least at that time (2001-2005), they worked together well. All Beef Studs were also SAA/SBC members. It wasn't until turnover in student membership (mostly to graduation) started happening that this close relationship fell by the wayside, and for some reason the groups started to engage in some sort of imaginary power struggle. New people enter an organization without knowing its history and act based on incomplete understanding, perhaps. The leadership of both organizations have long sought to maintain a relationship and foster involvement in both. However, when you're dealing with college kids on both sides, I guess immaturity plays a role.

Anyway, how the Studs started - I hatched the idea of founding a body-painting group while in Biology Lab with a buddy I recruited (Ryan Capahi) because we were huge USF fans and felt the student body could use a little more firing up to support the athletic teams at games, and we wanted to do it in a fun, crazy way. We would see it done at other schools and didn't understand why nobody did it at USF (like the Cameron Crazies). This was back when the school was still Div. IA Independent, before the lower bowl student section even filled halfway for football games, and before more than a few hundred would come out for events like soccer or women's basketball. We sought funding from Dr. Silverman, Dean of the Honors College, because we pitched it to him that the Honors College would host the organization, and to start mostly Honors students joined (Alex Velasquez, Alec Smith, etc). Although part of its purpose is to incite school spirit and support USF Athletics, it is also a body painting group, so that would be the main difference between the Beef Studs and SBC. Originally, all Beef Studs were SBC members because they supported USF, but also painted their bodies as part of the Beef Studs, which non-Beef Stud SBC members do not necessary do. Now, there is still plenty of overlapping membership, but to answer your question directly BullDad, the Beef Studs also body paint.

http://www.tbo.com/life/MGBE0FJKG7F.html

http://www.sptimes.com/2005/09/09/Hillsborough/Beef_Studs_and_Babes_.shtml

[that second article has a part that the author threw in of his own accord - we didn't indicate whatsoever that the Bullies were somehow influenced to pick their name because of the Beef Studs, which is foolish, or that they modeled themselves after the Beef Studs or anything like that. I don't even know where he thought that up.]

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  645
  • Days Won:  0

Thanks Brandon.  It is nice to hear the background of the organization and also know that the Beef Studs are mostly also SBC.  I understand the college student power struggle for sure (but from MANY moons ago!), and hopefully as time goes on, the groups can continue to work together.

Certainly when you mix college students and alcohol, you will have some "misunderstandings". :)

• Group:  Member
  • Content Count:  9
  • Days Won:  0

I would harass the refs when they would miss BLATANT calls, and this beef stud starts yelling at me telling me how I am wrong. Then with a minute left at the game he starts YELLING at the students who are left telling them they aren't dedicated because they aren't standing and cheering. This is when we blew game and he should be happy that they are even there.

I found out last night who this Beef Stud was and got the full story.  I will definitely have a talk with him.  If that sort of behavior continues, he will be put on probation in the organization.  Thank you for bringing this to my attention, only I wish it hadn't been so publicly.

Archived