• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why this game is close.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  476
  • Days Won:  0

Yes, we got owned last year big time.  Having said that, Raymond J and the Bulls at home are very hard to beat.  I base my objective assessment on the following factors: 

1.  Elon: Who would have thought you go to #2 after that game? Point is, don't let one game fool you.

2.  South Carolina State was tied with South Carolina last year at the half.  They would demolish Tenn-Martin.  Even South Carolina fans think they are decent. S.C. State was 7-4 last year, Tenn-Martin was 4-7 and absolutely terrible. 

3.  Texas v. UCF.  Funny things happen in pride games at BHNS. The Citrus bowl was never home, BHNS is and it will be defended.

4.  Funny, funny things happen in inter-state rivalry games.  I have watched too many Miami/FSU UF/FSU games in my life to think different.  Look no further than FIU/FAU for clarification.

5. If you go by last year's record only, that is just naive.  Texas.  One year they got absolutely destroyed by Oklahoma. They then won.  One year doesn't = two.

6. Our squad played USF tough 2 years ago at "home' ::) Our talent level has risen dramatically since then, and don't let a lackluster first game fool you.  If you don't think UCF was looking ahead, then LOL.  I saw O'Leary in his office last night at 7:00 pm.  He was there the whole day. He knows as well as I do the ramifications of this game.  We will have a ton of our best recruits there.

7.  Pride/Anger: The intangibles.

I won't predict the score unless you request it out of deference to your board.  Here is to a safe game.  Growthe and Selvie are tremendous players.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  8,158
  • Days Won:  3

1.  Elon: Who would have thought you go to #2 after that game? Point is, don't let one game fool you.

Agreed.

2.  South Carolina State was tied with South Carolina last year at the half.  They would demolish Tenn-Martin.  Even South Carolina fans think they are decent. S.C. State was 7-4 last year, Tenn-Martin was 4-7 and absolutely terrible. 

Are you really making the excuse that a 1-AA team is really, really, really good?  If so, drop back down there so you can be competitive.  This is 1-A football, son.

3.  Texas v. UCF.  Funny things happen in pride games at BHNS. The Citrus bowl was never home, BHNS is and it will be defended.

You've had a total of, what, 8 games in BHNS?  Two of them mattered, and you won one of them.

4.  Funny, funny things happen in inter-state rivalry games.  I have watched too many Miami/FSU UF/FSU games in my life to think different.  Look no further than FIU/FAU for clarification.

Those teams match up well talent-wise.  The talent level on our teams is far, far different... despite what you may think.

5. If you go by last year's record only, that is just naive.  Texas.  One year they got absolutely destroyed by Oklahoma. They then won.  One year doesn't = two.

But three years = three years.  Even with your close game at home in 06, you really haven't done anything against our defense.  That game was only close because of a special teams gaffe by a true freshman punter who has never seen the field again at USF.

6. Our squad played USF tough 2 years ago at "home' ::) Our talent level has risen dramatically since then, and don't let a lackluster first game fool you.  If you don't think UCF was looking ahead, then LOL.  I saw O'Leary in his office last night at 7:00 pm.  He was there the whole day. He knows as well as I do the ramifications of this game.  We will have a ton of our best recruits there.

Leavitt is in his office until all hours of the night... every night.  Regardless of the opponent.  Your talent level has risen... and ours has stayed stagnant?  Comical.  Tell GOL to keep the recruits away from this one.  You really don't want them to see USF whoop your *** again.

I think you covered this one in 3 and 4.  Intangibles can only take you so far. You are outmanned on both lines and have virtually no offense.  Greco is a mistake waiting to happen, and your running game will not get it together against a team that's as fast as you will ever see on defense.  Sorry, these are facts.

I won't predict the score unless you request it out of deference to your board.

Predict away.  I'd love a good laugh today.

Here is to a safe game.

Agreed.  While OOC games are fun, the conference is what matters.  Let's keep our kids healthy and ready for conference play.

Growthe and Selvie are tremendous players.

It's spelled "Grothe".  If you need a reminder, just look at the back of the #8 jersey that will be running into your endzone multiple times before being pulled for the second string in the first half.  ;)

• Content Count:  476

Agreed.

Are you really making the excuse that a 1-AA team is really, really, really good?  If so, drop back down there so you can be competitive.  This is 1-A football, son.

You've had a total of, what, 8 games in BHNS?  Two of them mattered, and you won one of them.

Those teams match up well talent-wise.  The talent level on our teams is far, far different... despite what you may think.

But three years = three years.  Even with your close game at home in 06, you really haven't done anything against our defense.  That game was only close because of a special teams gaffe by a true freshman punter who has never seen the field again at USF.

Leavitt is in his office until all hours of the night... every night.  Regardless of the opponent.  Your talent level has risen... and ours has stayed stagnant?  Comical.  Tell GOL to keep the recruits away from this one.  You really don't want them to see USF whoop your *** again.

I think you covered this one in 3 and 4.  Intangibles can only take you so far. You are outmanned on both lines and have virtually no offense.  Greco is a mistake waiting to happen, and your running game will not get it together against a team that's as fast as you will ever see on defense.  Sorry, these are facts.

Here is to a safe game.

Agreed.  While OOC games are fun, the conference is what matters.  Let's keep our kids healthy and ready for conference play.

It's spelled "Grothe".  If you need a reminder, just look at the back of the #8 jersey that will be running into your endzone multiple times before being pulled for the second string in the first half.   ;)

Honestly,  I think it's 29 - 27 UCF.

A. The 2006 game UCF ran all over the place.  We went over 150 on the ground easily. I think it was actually closer to 200. We were driving for the tie in the final seconds. If we just run up the middle more instead of going to Walker, I believe we win.  Special teams play counts in Division one football.

B. Our secondary is rated #5 nationally.  Joe Burnett versus anyone, anytime. Sloppy or not, not one has scored on us this year and MSU only got 7 in the bowl game from last year.  Our defense is much, much, much better than the Tampa game.

C. Greco: I have seen him play poorly, yet have also seen him play brilliantly.  One thing I know is he can scramble and Israel couldn't.  That alone makes him more dangerous.

D. FIU/USF: Again, In-state games are very, very tricky and FIU's manhood wasn't taken the year before. This game is about redemption. On paper you appear better, but so did the 1996 Gators v. FSU in Tallahasee.  We know what happened there.

E. I am not convinced your O-line is that much better than our D-front. 

F. This time it's personal.

• Content Count:  6,557

The only thing effecting the outcome of this game is the punch drinking level of the UCF fans.  In the end it will  be perception for them, and points on the field for us...

Luckily for us, the NCAA only counts points scored on the field.

• Content Count:  8,158

I'm not going to fault you for picking your team.  I just think you're as wrong as one can possibly be.  ;D

A. The 2006 game UCF ran all over the place.  We went over 150 on the ground easily. I think it was actually closer to 200. We were driving for the tie in the final seconds. If we just run up the middle more instead of going to Walker, I believe we win.

Ok... but you don't have Phillip or Kevin Smith this year.  When you DID have Kevin Smith last year (Mr. 2500 yards himself), you gained 61 TOTAL yards on the round against our D.  Your freshmen are going to get eaten alive by our D.

Special teams play counts in Division one football.

Indeed they do.  No excuses.  I'm just saying that you probably will not be as fortunate again.

B. Our secondary is rated #5 nationally.  Joe Burnett versus anyone, anytime. Sloppy or not, not one has scored on us this year and MSU only got 7 in the bowl game from last year.  Our defense is much, much, much better than the Tampa game.

Did you add new people to your defense since last year?  Burnett, Neal, Rabazinski... all those guys are still there, and all of them gave up 64 to USF.  I don't see any new impact players on that side of the ball that would make me think we COULDN'T do it again... although I know that's highly unlikely.  Grothe to Johnson was torching Johnell Neal all game last year... check the highlights.  Your pass defense ended up only ranked 69th last year, btw... (link)

C. Greco: I have seen him play poorly, yet have also seen him play brilliantly.  One thing I know is he can scramble and Israel couldn't.  That alone makes him more dangerous.

Greco played against us last year, and he couldn't scramble away from our defense.  He had -5 yards rushing for the game. (link)

D. FIU/USF: Again, In-state games are very, very tricky and FIU's manhood wasn't taken the year before. This game is about redemption. On paper you appear better, but so did the 1996 Gators v. FSU in Tallahasee.  We know what happened there.

I'm not putting this game on the level with other state rivalries like you are.  On paper and on the field, we've been better three years in a row.  Nothing has transpired in the past 12 months to make me think that has changed.  In fact, you've lost 80% of your offense.

We shall see...

It's been personal for you the past three games... don't pretend that none of them mattered to you.  The only thing that's different is that this is your last shot to save face against a far superior program.  Unfortunately, you don't have the guns to get it done.

If you couldn't put up more than 17 against a 1-AA, you won't put up 29 against us.  I will not be surprised if USF pitches a shutout, to be honest.  Your offense is terrible, and our defense is in mid-season form.

Good luck!

• Content Count:  4,016

OMFG, would another knight please help Chad please.  He sounds like a ledge walker who's ready, willing, and able to jump if a victory doesn't occur with UCF.

Chad, please stop trying to convince us.  It sounds more like you're trying to convince yourself.   First, where in the world did you get this assertion that SCSU would kill UT-Martin.  I hate to break it to you but UTMA returned 17 starters too, and rankings wise those two were interchangeable in all the pre-season polls.  Phill Steele actually had UTMA ranked AHEAD of SCSU at #20 in the preseason poll.  Also SCSU is only ranked 15 spots ahead of UTMA in sagarin pre-season.  Also the OVC is a much tougher conference than the MEAC.  

Fact is SCSU and UTMA are Equal.  SCSU = UTMA.  So now you've got to hope and pray the Elon situation is true.

I don't believe the Elon situation applies.  I would go more toward our McNeese State victory.  Last year Elon was a ranked 1-AA squad.  They finished the year ranked 18th and came within 13 pts of beating App State, who is in their division.  This year Elon is pre-season ranked 15....they're heads and tails better than SCSU and UTMA.  

Also, in 2006 USF was more like UCF right now.  We were learning about our new QB, starting some really cherry RB's, and had some newbies on the DL (Selvie and Buie), a bit new on the OL, and at receiver.  We beat McNeese, barely beat FIU, and then beat UCF.

But I will say this, UCF fans are ignorant if they think 2008 version is so much more talented than their 2006 team.  That 2006 team possessed some great athletes in Mike Walker, Merritt, Gaines, Peters, Kevin Smith, your center, LJ Anderson- all playing in the NFL.  On defense you had a few good players too.  Right now the two best recruits UCF has signed in the past two years, to me, are shelved- Aikens and Guyton.

I think this game will be an emotional one.  Grothe has given you all some bulletin board material.  The game is in BHS, and you want to win and you have a stout defense.  It scares me, and there is no way last year's score will happen or results.  Also, given the fact your team is licking it's wounds you will be a dangerous squad.  But I would be careful over emphasizing potential weaknesses of USF, and strengths of UCF.  

• Content Count:  4,016

Agreed.

Here is to a safe game.

It's spelled "Grothe".  If you need a reminder, just look at the back of the #8 jersey that will be running into your endzone multiple times before being pulled for the second string in the first half.   ;)

A. The 2006 game UCF ran all over the place.  We went over 150 on the ground easily. I think it was actually closer to 200. We were driving for the tie in the final seconds. If we just run up the middle more instead of going to Walker, I believe we win.  Special teams play counts in Division one football.

Let me help you a bit.  In 2006, first, you had a much, much better team.  You had experienced RB, experienced QB's, experienced TE, and an experienced OL.  Despite that entire advantage UCF ran for a whopping 140 yards against us. 

If you want to keep harkening to our 2006 season and assume some parallel exists then you're going to be hard pressed. 

• Content Count:  66,073
  • Days Won:  172

usf should put 70+ on these fools

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

In 2005 with a junior QB in Moffet, and 2 future NFL WRs UCF scored 14.

In 2006 with a senior QB in Moffet, and future NFL WR UCF scored 17, including 7 from a blocked punt.

In 2007 with a senior quarterback in Israel, and an NFL RB UCF scored 12.

So in the 3 games UCF is averaging 14.3 ppg.  This year with a first year QB, 5 freshmen RBs and a depleted WR core someone is predicting UCF scores 29?  UCF can certainly win this game, but for them to do so would mean that the USF offense has to be completely stymied and a final of 17-14, or 21-20.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,331
  • Days Won:  10

usf should put 70+ on these fools

Steve, what are you doing up this early? :D

BTW, it would be polite to say this will be a close game.  But I tend to agree it will be a slaughter similar to last year.  And after the game, it won't be pretty for USF fans trying to get to their cars and get out of there.

I have never seen a USF team with the depth we have this year.  We will be pulling out our starters early in order to save them for Kansas.  Prior to last weekend, I predicted 35-17.  But after seeing UCF have to really work to get past SCSU and seeing our performance, that gap is way too small.  I think Leavitt will want to put to rest all those calls for this to continue and will want to win big.

You need to get off that fat wallet of yours and make it out to one of our games in Tampa.

Archived