• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Why this game is close.....

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

vegasinsider.com has the line at -8.5 USF; probably the best source. I hope it's an exciting game. As far as my analysis, they are some intangibles that favor us, noise a lot louder than many Bull fans think, the steel and bowl shape makes it sound a lot louder than just a 45k seat stadium(look up some McCoy quotes after their game). There are also many things that don't favor us, inexperience at RB, and QB. Not making a prediction but I think the first quarter is huge; if it's tied or UCF has a small lead, I think it will be a close game all 4 quarters. The first quarter sets the tone for an exciting finish or possibly another dud.

You could be right about the intangibles.  However, the majority of this team went to Auburn last year which was not exactly quiet.

Also, it wasn't the first quarter that cost you last year.  Things started snowballing in the second quarter, particularly the last 5 minutes.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  0

There are also many things that don't favor us, inexperience at RB, and QB. Not making a prediction but I think the first quarter is huge; if it's tied or UCF has a small lead, I think it will be a close game all 4 quarters. The first quarter sets the tone for an exciting finish or possibly another dud.

Hostile environments don't seem to bother the Bulls... But I think you are right about the first quarter. You guys need the momentum, and you need to feed off of it in order to prevail. If you don't have the momentum, your team will get demoralized (Selvie will help) and it'll be a long knight. ha

• Content Count:  7,993
  • Days Won:  21

Looking at the stats for this past week's games:

UCF average starting field position - Own 37, SCSU - Own 25

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=282432116

USF average starting field position - Own - 33 , UTM - Own 28 (taking out the one drive they started at the USF 30, it is their own 24).

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=282430058&confId=10

I left out the last drives for both UCF and USF as the game was over and both teams took knees.

Also, we lost the turnover battle 4-1, and UCF won the turnover battle 2-1.

Just interesting facts to be considered in who may win this game.

• Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

Looking at the stats for this past week's games:

UCF average starting field position - Own 37, SCSU - Own 25

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=282432116

USF average starting field position - Own - 33 , UTM - Own 28 (taking out the one drive they started at the USF 30, it is their own 24).

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncf/drivechart?gameId=282430058&confId=10

I left out the last drives for both UCF and USF as the game was over and both teams took knees.

Also, we lost the turnover battle 4-1, and UCF won the turnover battle 2-1.

Just interesting facts to be considered in who may win this game.

If we don't take care of the ball and turn it over this game will be uncomfortably close.  If we execute we should win going away if we let UCF hang around and let the crowd and team believe they can with rather than "here we go again" UCF can be very dangerous.  Big time programs win this game handily, this game will tell us a lot about if we took the next step during the off season or if we remained stagnant. 

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

First of all, UCiF's pass defense is ranked 8th in the nation right now, not 5th. USF's pass defense is ranked 2nd. UCiF gave up almost 3 yards per play against SCSU, while USF gave up only 1.8 yards per play. You had your starters in all game, we had Grothe out by halftime (and he even took a series off in the 2nd quarter). As has previously been stated, UCiF did not SNIFF 200 yards on the ground in 2006, gaining only 140. And that magical game where you only lost by 7 saw a USF offense with NO WEAPONS other than Grothe. Go look at our rushing stats from that game; Grothe 73 yards, Walt Smith 14 yards, Ben Williams 5 yards. Grothe was forced to throw 31 times for 301 yards in what his third game at USF. In short, that was your ONLY chance to beat us in this series.

Lets fast forward to reality, Sept. 6, 2008. USF has 5 RBs that would ALL be #1 on UCiF's depth chart. We have three QBs who would all be first string at UCiF. There is not a single player from your team's defense that would start on ours. Joe Burnett MIGHT sneak on to the field as a second string CB. Every one of our WRs on our two deep would crack your starting lineup. The bottom line is that USF will win by a margin between 17 and 24 points. So long as we are not sloppy with the ball there is no way that UCiF can win.

Zombie Nation is an appropriate theme song for your team, as your fans will be exiting the stadium like a line of zombies, wondering how in the world they got beat down by USF again, even though we don't have an OCS and an indoor practice field.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  5,324
  • Days Won:  10

First of all, UCiF's pass defense is ranked 8th in the nation right now, not 5th. USF's pass defense is ranked 2nd. UCiF gave up almost 3 yards per play against SCSU, while USF gave up only 1.8 yards per play. You had your starters in all game, we had Grothe out by halftime (and he even took a series off in the 2nd quarter). As has previously been stated, UCiF did not SNIFF 200 yards on the ground in 2006, gaining only 140. And that magical game where you only lost by 7 saw a USF offense with NO WEAPONS other than Grothe. Go look at our rushing stats from that game; Grothe 73 yards, Walt Smith 14 yards, Ben Williams 5 yards. Grothe was forced to throw 31 times for 301 yards in what his third game at USF. In short, that was your ONLY chance to beat us in this series.

Lets fast forward to reality, Sept. 6, 2008. USF has 5 RBs that would ALL be #1 on UCiF's depth chart. We have three QBs who would all be first string at UCiF. There is not a single player from your team's defense that would start on ours. Joe Burnett MIGHT sneak on to the field as a second string CB. Every one of our WRs on our two deep would crack your starting lineup. The bottom line is that USF will win by a margin between 17 and 24 points. So long as we are not sloppy with the ball there is no way that UCiF can win.

Zombie Nation is an appropriate theme song for your team, as your fans will be exiting the stadium like a line of zombies, wondering how in the world they got beat down by USF again, even though we don't have an OCS and an indoor practice field.

Yeah, what he said.

• Content Count:  476

Some of you boys mistake a good season with a great program. There is a reason why there is a big 3 in Florida.  It's called conference/National championships.  That is the divider.  The line in the sand if you will. 

• Content Count:  19,229
  • Days Won:  1

1.  Elon: Who would have thought you go to #2 after that game? Point is, don't let one game fool you.

Agreed.

2.  South Carolina State was tied with South Carolina last year at the half.  They would demolish Tenn-Martin.  Even South Carolina fans think they are decent. S.C. State was 7-4 last year, Tenn-Martin was 4-7 and absolutely terrible. 

Are you really making the excuse that a 1-AA team is really, really, really good?  If so, drop back down there so you can be competitive.  This is 1-A football, son.

3.  Texas v. UCF.  Funny things happen in pride games at BHNS. The Citrus bowl was never home, BHNS is and it will be defended.

You've had a total of, what, 8 games in BHNS?  Two of them mattered, and you won one of them.

4.  Funny, funny things happen in inter-state rivalry games.  I have watched too many Miami/FSU UF/FSU games in my life to think different.  Look no further than FIU/FAU for clarification.

Those teams match up well talent-wise.  The talent level on our teams is far, far different... despite what you may think.

5. If you go by last year's record only, that is just naive.  Texas.  One year they got absolutely destroyed by Oklahoma. They then won.  One year doesn't = two.

But three years = three years.  Even with your close game at home in 06, you really haven't done anything against our defense.  That game was only close because of a special teams gaffe by a true freshman punter who has never seen the field again at USF.

6. Our squad played USF tough 2 years ago at "home' ::) Our talent level has risen dramatically since then, and don't let a lackluster first game fool you.  If you don't think UCF was looking ahead, then LOL.  I saw O'Leary in his office last night at 7:00 pm.  He was there the whole day. He knows as well as I do the ramifications of this game.  We will have a ton of our best recruits there.

Leavitt is in his office until all hours of the night... every night.  Regardless of the opponent.  Your talent level has risen... and ours has stayed stagnant?  Comical.  Tell GOL to keep the recruits away from this one.  You really don't want them to see USF whoop your *** again.

7.  Pride/Anger: The intangibles.

I think you covered this one in 3 and 4.  Intangibles can only take you so far. You are outmanned on both lines and have virtually no offense.  Greco is a mistake waiting to happen, and your running game will not get it together against a team that's as fast as you will ever see on defense.  Sorry, these are facts.

I won't predict the score unless you request it out of deference to your board.

Predict away.  I'd love a good laugh today.

Here is to a safe game.

Agreed.  While OOC games are fun, the conference is what matters.  Let's keep our kids healthy and ready for conference play.

Growthe and Selvie are tremendous players.

It's spelled "Grothe".  If you need a reminder, just look at the back of the #8 jersey that will be running into your endzone multiple times before being pulled for the second string in the first half.   ;)

Honestly,  I think it's 29 - 27 UCF.

A. The 2006 game UCF ran all over the place.  We went over 150 on the ground easily. I think it was actually closer to 200. We were driving for the tie in the final seconds. If we just run up the middle more instead of going to Walker, I believe we win.  Special teams play counts in Division one football.

B. Our secondary is rated #5 nationally.  Joe Burnett versus anyone, anytime. Sloppy or not, not one has scored on us this year and MSU only got 7 in the bowl game from last year.  Our defense is much, much, much better than the Tampa game.

C. Greco: I have seen him play poorly, yet have also seen him play brilliantly.  One thing I know is he can scramble and Israel couldn't.  That alone makes him more dangerous.

D. FIU/USF: Again, In-state games are very, very tricky and FIU's manhood wasn't taken the year before. This game is about redemption. On paper you appear better, but so did the 1996 Gators v. FSU in Tallahasee.  We know what happened there.

E. I am not convinced your O-line is that much better than our D-front. 

F. This time it's personal.

you scored 12 points on us with a better offense last year... now you think 29 with garbage offense?  you couldn't even score 20 on SCSU.  ::)

• Content Count:  2,461

Some of you boys mistake a good season with a great program. There is a reason why there is a big 3 in Florida.  It's called conference/National championships.  That is the divider.  The line in the sand if you will. 

Just for you:

Big Four? Miami, Florida, FSU have company with Leavitt's USF Bulls

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2008/writers/andy_staples/07/18/usf/index.html

• Content Count:  476

Velcro,

USF at FAU,  Elon at USF. 

No smack, just explain*

Archived