• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So.... Leavitt didn't even know Mo was out there!!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  3,827
  • Days Won:  0

Shoop, you're probably right...but if that's the case it doesn't make sense. An Offensive Coordinator should be able to call plays that maximize the strengths of each individual RB rather than the RB's coach dialing up the player he thinks needs to be in on a play after its called.... Is this how it's done at other schools?

Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with it....I'm just telling you that's how it works here.

Since we now know that Ford was hurt, I think it's an absolute crock that the ball didnt go to Taylor or Williams.

Speaking of Ford, for all you naysayers out there, did you notice the "pep in the step" of the offense once Ford got 2 or 3 consecutive carries? Did you notice the rhythm that the offense suddenly got into? Did you notice the holes to run and lanes to pass that Grothe had while Ford was in the game? Yeah...

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  17,061
  • Days Won:  19

Have to agree with your assessment Shoop.  Mike hits the hole HARD!

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Shoop, you're probably right...but if that's the case it doesn't make sense. An Offensive Coordinator should be able to call plays that maximize the strengths of each individual RB rather than the RB's coach dialing up the player he thinks needs to be in on a play after its called.... Is this how it's done at other schools?

Dont get me wrong, I dont agree with it....I'm just telling you that's how it works here.

Since we now know that Ford was hurt, I think it's an absolute crock that the ball didnt go to Taylor or Williams.

Speaking of Ford, for all you naysayers out there, did you notice the "pep in the step" of the offense once Ford got 2 or 3 consecutive carries? Did you notice the rhythm that the offense suddenly got into? Did you notice the holes to run and lanes to pass that Grothe had while Ford was in the game? Yeah...

But you can't keep that rhythm going because Ford can't carry the ball every down.  Do you remember the Auburn game?  He looked almost dead after 22 carries, was breathing hard after a few close together.

And that's fine......

But why did he get his FIRST set of consecutive carries halfway through the 4th quarter? ESPECIALLY when nothing.......N-O-T-H-I-N-G worked in the 1st half.

I take that back, Taylor had a 54 yd run on his 1st carry. I would consider that a successful play, wouldnt you? Well, apparently it wasnt good enough because he carried the ball twice more before halftime. TWICE.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

And that's fine......

But why did he get his FIRST set of consecutive carries halfway through the 4th quarter? ESPECIALLY when nothing.......N-O-T-H-I-N-G worked in the 1st half.

I take that back, Taylor had a 54 yd run on his 1st carry. I would consider that a successful play, wouldnt you? Well, apparently it wasnt good enough because he carried the ball twice more before halftime. TWICE.

Yes, running game needs to be fixed.  Certainly don't disagree with that.  I just don't think Ford is the magic piece that's going to fix everything.  He had more carries than any of the other RBs on the night.  The running game needs help, not just which RB is in at any given time.

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

My guess as to why he didn't get consecutive carries is because when he touched the ball in the first Quarter (2nd Drive) he got stuffed.  Everyone seems to think he had 9 yards on every play.  Ford got stuffed and it put us in a 2nd and 12 type situation.  Throwing downs basically.  And Ford rarely plays on throwing downs because he apparently can't block or isn't willing to be a team player to block.  At least not as good or hard working as Williams is to protect Grothe.

I dont think Ford is the magic piece either. I do believe that he is the most talented, but I also think that Taylor is not very far behind.

I think a combination of the 2 could be lethal. Taylor, when put in space, is a weapon that we havent used correctly this year. I wanna see this guy used in the slot, or on screens, or option plays. Get the man in space!

Ford is a cutback runner with GREAT vision, and a knack for getting 1-2 more yards than he should on every carry. He breaks tackles, and wears down the opponent.

I just dont understand why we use our RBs the way we do. It's completely asinine to run Grothe SO much(yes, we should run him occasionally to keep the defense honest...but it's not necessary!). The spread offense is fine, when the players are used correctly. I just dont think we do that.

• Content Count:  5,249
  • Days Won:  2

we understand Ford was out...  whether Gregory knew that before Franks sent his backs out is irrelevent. 

Moise should NOT have been the guy carrying the ball in that situation.  he had 1 touch the entire season, and he is not a power back to begin with.

the excuse i've heard is that Taylor and Williams had been doing such a good job blocking that they didn't want to take them off their assignment...  WTF!!!!!!!!!  put in Richard Kelly to block and let Jamar or Ben run it, or put the big boy in the plow thru the line.

i don't know why we haven't seen more of Kelly, either at FB or TE.  a guy like that could be useful in short yardage situations.

put in Richard Kelly to block and let Jamar or Ben run it, or put the big boy in the plow thru the line.

i don't know why we haven't seen more of Kelly, either at FB or TE.  a guy like that could be useful in short yardage situations.

I saw him line up at FB for the 1st time in the UConn game! Yeah, it was only one play, but it shows that he's improving as the season goes along.

I was excited about him before the season, so I hope he continues to work his way up the depth chart. Leavitt hinted at a possible move to TE as well. Hmmm...

• Content Count:  6,348
  • Days Won:  8

i think he woulda two-handed strangled Gregory's neck right there on the sidelines if he knew Mo was there for that play.

It wasn't Gregory's call... per se...

1. Gregory calls for the "mini-wishbone" formation... (or whatever the staff actually calls it)...

2. The Running Backs coach (Carl Franks) gets his top 3 RBs out there: Williams, Taylor, Ford, Plancher.

It's possible Gregory didn't know Ford was hurt and out when he called for the formation... or that Franks sent Plancher out there because Mo is #4 on the depth chart.

There is absolutely no reason for the confusion at that point.  The coaches have head phones.  there was 1 time out left and almost 2 minutes left on the clock.  No reason for any confusion or miscommunication.  In that situation if you don't have the correct personnel on the fileld someone needs to be speaking up.

Archived