• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

So.... Leavitt didn't even know Mo was out there!!!!!!

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  21,080
  • Days Won:  39

Very interesting stuff.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  292
  • Days Won:  0

Why didn't they just let Matt QB sneak it in?? You'r telling me he can't get 1 yard in 3 trys?  I know I've seen Matt sneak it in from the 1 before and he is excellant and doing that.  Can't dwell on the past but man was that bad play calling.

• Content Count:  635

i'm guessing the naked was called because they saw something in the defense in the game where they felt they were overpursuing or something and just ran the play figuring Grothe would have a wide-open look at the endzone. the problem on that play was Grothe backpedaling too much. should've just ate the sack.

• Content Count:  3,048
  • Days Won:  6

Yeah, I'd guess that Gregory didn't know Plancher was in there.  Franks should have let Gregory know what was going on so Gregory would have had the right info to decide what play to call.  While I'm guessing, I'd guess that Gregory wasn't too happy about that and may have been a large part of the reason the coaching staff was unavailable after the game.  There may be some finger pointing going on right now.

Data,

think you nailed it there. On a play SO critical...the OC needs to know if there is a loss of personnel. If Gregory called that play thinking it would be Ford on the carry...but got Plancher, I can only imagine there would be some behind the scenes anger. Does anyone know what the process is of getting injuries reported up to the booth...and does our school do this any different than others? If that was the case...it was an almost inexcusable mistake. You just don't line up with the game on the line and call a play for a guy who is out.

Agreed again.  If Grothe was hurt, you can bet the coaches would know about it and call the game accordingly (at least, I would sincerely hope).  Ford is just as critical to that play call as MG is to passing.

• Content Count:  1,304
  • Days Won:  2

like... if your biggest, baddest RB is hurt...

... perhaps like... the coaches might wanna know about that.

• Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

i'm guessing the naked was called because they saw something in the defense in the game where they felt they were overpursuing or something and just ran the play figuring Grothe would have a wide-open look at the endzone. the problem on that play was Grothe backpedaling too much. should've just ate the sack.

Agreed, this is something Matt could focus on in the offseason.  For the most part, his big plays offset the times he gives up more yards than he should.  There are places on the field and times during the game (limited time left) that he should minimize losses.  Matt was outside the tackle, he could have thrown the ball away for no loss.  Or he could have stuck his head down and plowed ahead to minimize the loss, he might have even gotten in.  A spin move when you are at the 40 in the middle of the 2nd quarter is one thing, also fine on fourth down with time running out.  On third down from the one late in the 4th, you can't take an 11 yard loss.

• Content Count:  403

I would've liked to have seen us go with a 4 or 5 wide receiver set, spread out the defense and then have Matt run it or dump it off if the DB's collapsed in on the run... Just get everyone out in some space, everything seemed so bunched up.

• Content Count:  21,080
  • Days Won:  39

I would've liked to have seen us go with a 4 or 5 wide receiver set, spread out the defense and then have Matt run it or dump it off if the DB's collapsed in on the run... Just get everyone out in some space, everything seemed so bunched up.

Yeah with the "running attack" they have right now that may have been the best option.

• Content Count:  3,827

In the past, I've heard Leavitt say that Carl Franks is in charge of the RBs. Meaning, at the end of each play, Franks is the man in charge of which RB is going on and off of the field. At the next game, watch the sidelines, and you'll see.

• Content Count:  1,260

Shoop, you're probably right...but if that's the case it doesn't make sense. An Offensive Coordinator should be able to call plays that maximize the strengths of each individual RB rather than the RB's coach dialing up the player he thinks needs to be in on a play after its called.... Is this how it's done at other schools?

Archived