• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Today's Official OCS thread/FAU unveils drawing of stadium

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  23,185
  • Days Won:  65

:Duh :deadhorse

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

I have a question....would the Bulls here take a Ben Hill Griffin/Doak Campbell/Jordan-Hare type stadium?  Amenities wise they don't stack up to Ray Jay, but [glow=yellow,2,300]atmosphere wise they blow the Pirate Ship out of the water[/glow].

That has nothing to do with the colors or location of the stadium ..... Atmosphere is not inanimate. Atmosphere is controlled by the fans, the band, PA announcers to a degree and the players/game... with the fans being the most integral part of that equation.

I agree to a point, atmosphere is controlled by the fans.  I'll say this though, there is a lot to be said for defending what is yours.  Doak is FSU's.  The Swamp is UF's.  I'll even say this....I bet the atmosphere at UM games goes downhill at Joe Robbie (or whatever they call it now).  The Orange Bowl was a cess pool past it's usefulness, but it "belonged" to Miami...it was theirs to defend.  Right now, it just seems like USF is housesitting for the Bucs on Saturdays.

But the Orange Bowl wasn't just their house back in the days when they were dominant on the college football scene, was it? I may be wrong there ....

Thing is, though, do you think our players consider RayJay their house? I'm betting they do. That's all they've ever known and I fully believe they try and defend it as much as any other college team. I'm thinking they defend it because of US, the fans, out there supporting them. They don't look up and see a pirate ship, they see the awesome student section and band right there.

• Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  0

Here's where FSU was smart with Doak Campbell and funding...FSU is the smallest, land wise, of the state universities.  With land being at such a premium around the campus, and a student body that was rapidly growing at the time FSU used the government money for buildings, which all universities can work through the legislature to get, to build classroom and administrative space around the stadium.  What it created was beautiful brick facade around an 83,000 seat stadium.  TO say that state money went just to build FSU a stadium is not telling the whole story.  I give FSU credit for being creative and maximizing it's limited space.

USF has more land to build, so that plan might not work for the Bulls, and Doak was already there, so building around a non existent stadium would be a tough sell, but comparing the two is really apples and oranges.  Get some creative people with ties to Tallahassee and I bet USF could come up with something.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

Not only can Bolton sing with the best of them...... :whistle

He's also one smart cookie when it comes to the stadium issue!!

• Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  0

I also won the Scripp's National Spelling Bee, am a 3 time Mr. Universe, and slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I also won the Scripp's National Spelling Bee, am a 3 time Mr. Universe, and slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.

You rock, Mr. Bolton!

• Content Count:  2,657
  • Days Won:  1

image_5859566.jpg

Look familiar?

Link: http://www.palmbeachpost.com/localnews/content/south/epaper/2007/09/19/m1a_FAU_STADIUM_0819.html

Now...before this gets moved to the State of FLorida board, let's discuss what this move means to USF.

There are 7 Division I-A programs in the state of Florida. When this project is completed in 2010, only two of these schools will NOT have their own stadium.

I can't help but wonder if this impacts the time line USF is considering for an OCS. We know that there has been at least internal discussion b/c of the way we worked out lease agreement with the TSA.

It may be time for USF to hire a consultant to do a feasibility study on USF can utilize Louisville's, UCONN's and yes.....UCF's models for building an OCS.

Just food for thought...

• Content Count:  2,187
  • Days Won:  2

FAU will fill up a third of that stadium

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,636
  • Days Won:  424

image_5859566.jpg

Look familiar?

I'm sure if there was a Zoom feature, we'd find a ton of chain link fence down there ...

Archived