• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Today's Official OCS thread/FAU unveils drawing of stadium

Guest JulmisteForPrez

If we had the swamp sitting over there on Fowler Ave and 20,000 out of 90,000 seats were filled, the atmosphere would suck just the same. 

I agree 100%.

But a "Swamp" with 50k seats would be fantastic.

• Replies 271
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  509
  • Days Won:  0

I love these OCS threads.  Tell the truth Jim, you wanted to start another OCS thread!

I think there is a very small minority saying stay in Ray Jay forever.  Most people want to have an on campus stadium eventually, but now is not the right time.  USF just couldn't afford it.  When the amount of season ticket holders increases to an acceptable amount, let USF come out and announce a USF OCS Fund, Donate Now! The donations should come pouring in, if not make the state help out, cough cough, FSU.

As far as Ray Jay not having a college atmosphere, pish posh!  It is the fans that make the atmosphere.  Fill up Ray Jay with load vocal fans and it will be just as rocking as any stadium around.  An OCS with 22,000 fans will have just a much/little atmoshphere as Ray Jay with 22,000 fans.

Just for the record, Demolish the Claw, Build the OCS, make it state of the art, no horseshoe design, put the stands as close to the field as possible, student section is bleachers (louder),  really expensive seats (maybe 30 to 30yd line) get seatbacks, sell portable seatbacks for everywhere else, build a walkway across Fletcher.

Another note, anyone notice on that 10 year master plan map floating around that most of the big parking lots are replaced by buildings and parking garages except for the one south of the Sundome and there's an outline of a stadium.  So, there's obviously some interest within the USF hierarchy in eventually getting an OCS.

Guest JulmisteForPrez

I love these OCS threads.  Tell the truth Jim, you wanted to start another OCS thread!

I think there is a very small minority saying stay in Ray Jay forever.  Most people want to have an on campus stadium eventually, but now is not the right time.  USF just couldn't afford it.  When the amount of season ticket holders increases to an acceptable amount, let USF come out and announce a USF OCS Fund, Donate Now! The donations should come pouring in, if not make the state help out, cough cough, FSU.

As far as Ray Jay not having a college atmosphere, pish posh!  It is the fans that make the atmosphere.  Fill up Ray Jay with load vocal fans and it will be just as rocking as any stadium around.  An OCS with 22,000 fans will have just a much/little atmoshphere as Ray Jay with 22,000 fans.

Just for the record, Demolish the Claw, Build the OCS, make it state of the art, no horseshoe design, put the stands as close to the field as possible, student section is bleachers (louder),  really expensive seats (maybe 30 to 30yd line) get seatbacks, sell portable seatbacks for everywhere else, build a walkway across Fletcher.

Another note, anyone notice on that 10 year master plan map floating around that most of the big parking lots are replaced by buildings and parking garages except for the one south of the Sundome and there's an outline of a stadium.  So, there's obviously some interest within the USF hierarchy in eventually getting an OCS.

Reasonable points, one and all.

Don't agree that the stadium itself has nothing to do with atmosphere.  I see it as a 50/50 thing.  The same 45k in a red & pewter 65k seat stadium would have much more of a college atmosphere in a 45k-50k seat stadium with green and Bulls logos.

Thanks for keeping it civil, though.

• Content Count:  1,570
  • Days Won:  1

What is the big rush? The way these post are going, sound like we need to build it like yesterday. USF has been winning and gaining national exposer without a OCS. Last time I checked USC, UM, UCLA, together won 13 championship without OCS's. We'll have something to be proud of less then 10 years. Lets keep building tradition and the rest will take care of itself.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

Don't agree that the stadium itself has nothing to do with atmosphere.  [glow=yellow,2,300]I see it as a 50/50 thing[/glow].  The same 45k in a red & pewter 65k seat stadium would have much more of a college atmosphere in a 45k-50k seat stadium with green and Bulls logos.

50/50?? If you're putting that much emphasis on the color and location of the stadium to get you in the right frame of mind to watch a Bulls football game, then you're more a fan of interior decorating and geography than USF .... which is fine. We embrace everyone...

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I'm content with hearing guys who get paid to analyze the college game (Herbstreit, etc.) back up my viewpoint of how important it is to have a traditional college atmosphere.

:Bang

• Group:  Admin
  • Content Count:  97,043
  • Days Won:  469

I think there is a very small minority saying stay in Ray Jay forever. 

Someone should add a poll and illustrate this for MAB.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,632
  • Days Won:  424

I think there is a very small minority saying stay in Ray Jay forever. 

Someone should add a poll and illustrate this for MAB.

Seriously, why bother? That would be like adding a poll for cee to illustrate that most think CJL is a **** fine coach...

Your egghead banging his head against the wall smilie says it all.  :thumbsup

• Content Count:  84
  • Days Won:  0

I have a question....would the Bulls here take a Ben Hill Griffin/Doak Campbell/Jordan-Hare type stadium?  Amenities wise they don't stack up to Ray Jay, but [glow=yellow,2,300]atmosphere wise they blow the Pirate Ship out of the water[/glow].

That has nothing to do with the colors or location of the stadium ..... Atmosphere is not inanimate. Atmosphere is controlled by the fans, the band, PA announcers to a degree and the players/game... with the fans being the most integral part of that equation.

I agree to a point, atmosphere is controlled by the fans.  I'll say this though, there is a lot to be said for defending what is yours.  Doak is FSU's.  The Swamp is UF's.  I'll even say this....I bet the atmosphere at UM games goes downhill at Joe Robbie (or whatever they call it now).  The Orange Bowl was a cess pool past it's usefulness, but it "belonged" to Miami...it was theirs to defend.  Right now, it just seems like USF is housesitting for the Bucs on Saturdays.

Archived