• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nice Article in The Tribune or Not on Basebll Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  827
  • Days Won:  0

JG, JoeB, Big Hairy and others, without going into all the specifics, there are different deadlines for different pages - and the game ended about 11:45 p.m., which was past the deadline for the page that college baseball was on. I have nothing to do with the decision on what pages have specific deadlines. UF's game started at 2 p.m.

I had even filed a story to the paper when USF's game was still in the eighth inning to get into the paper - instead of waiting several minutes on the AP wire or USF's SID to file a story - so we would have something the instant the game went final. But the game did not end before the deadline on that specific page and we couldn't get the story in.

We did have a linescore in the paper (on a page with a later deadline), but yes, we would have preferred to have a story also.

And since you brought up the comparison to the Times, to advance the tournament on Tuesday, The Tribune ran a front-page story with a photo of Lelo Prado on what USF needed to do to get to the NCAA Tournament. I believe the Times only ran a capsule box and no story.

If you have any further questions about this - or anything else - you can e-mail me: bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com. Thanks

Thanks for the clarrification Brett. This was in no means a stab at you. It is just tough to see when the Bulls get one there biggest wins of the season, No headline.

Thanks again.

Go Bulls!

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  1,913
  • Days Won:  2

The edition of the Times I got today in Wesley Chapel had the story I filed on the game at 11:35 -- it headlined our college roundup. The edition of the Tribune I got had no story. Again, different papers have different deadlines for different editions.

• Content Count:  4,451

Brett's explains an appreciated effort on his part but both papers should have run something on a page with a later deadline.  That's just how I feel 'bout it.

• Content Count:  928

Maybe the could run them tonight? Or Brett and Greg can compete in a cage fight to the death...The winner get's to run that story.

• Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

Listen fellow Bulls,

If you want to attack one of the sportswriters, attack them on the work they do or do not do. Comments such as, "was Brett trimming hs mustache" are not only unnecessary, they are disrespectful.

Brett explained the situation, and I appreciate his response.

And no, I am not a Brett apologist like flsportsfan83, and I will hold him to task if he has only negative commentary/stories concerning USF athletics, but lets keep it about the work and not take personal shots at the writers.

By the way Brett, love the 'stache!  ;)

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

Actually I was the one who's not a Brett apologist, but we get the point.

• Content Count:  3,574

You guys complain a little too much… which is fine, I guess, but don't come up with conclusions.

I think Brett and Greg are AWESOME.

I know a school that would LOVE the amount of local coverage that we get.

GO BULLS!

• Content Count:  6,754
  • Days Won:  19

My dad has put the Washington Post out for over 40 years as he has been the foreman at the DC plant (straight blue collar job)... There are easily at least 5 to 10 different editions that go out nightly. On the top portion of the Post (and maybe for the Trib and Times), there are different stars, and then letters that follow. The more stars and the greater the letter, the later the edition. The final edition normally says final edition on it. The night Princess Diana died, my dad stopped the circulation at every plant and had the headlines changed reflecting the new story. Throughout Virginia and DC, you could get an earlier edition that reflected typical news that went out before 11 PM. After 11 PM, you received the new edition with Diana's death.

I was a sportwriter for the Manassas Journal Messenger in Virginia about 15 years ago... Brett and Greg might be envious as the paper actually was an afternoon paper... The deadlines were 6 AM except on Friday night as the Saturday paper was the only morning edition. I hated the 11 PM deadlines on Friday night... I felt like I was slopping words on paper instead of actually putting a dedicated effort into it.

• Content Count:  3,307
  • Days Won:  1

Also, it's college baseball. Let's be real here.

• Group:  Moderator
  • Content Count:  74,615
  • Days Won:  424

I picked up a Times out of one of the boxes in Temple Terrace and it had the story in it while my Trib delivered to the house didn't. As Greg said, it's just different deadlines for different editions of each paper. It's something neither Brett ir Greg have control over, like the headlines on articles .... Save the ******** for a worthwhile cause.   ;)

Archived