• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Nice Article in The Tribune or Not on Basebll Team

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  959
  • Days Won:  0

Gators lose and have an article. We beat the # 1 seed, top 25 team and we get a 1 inch box score. The game was not over at 1:00 AM, it was not too late to write something about it. Was Brett too busy trimming his mustache ? Somebody tell me if the St Pete Times had an article and I will change subscriptions right now.

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

• Content Count:  9,759
  • Days Won:  9

In all fairness, the UF game was over around 7 PM, and the USF game was over around 11:30 or later.  Those 4 hours are big when it comes to covering a game.

• Content Count:  959

Just a little synopsis of the game would have been nice.

• Content Count:  827

In all fairness, the UF game was over around 7 PM, and the USF game was over around 11:30 or later.  Those 4 hours are big when it comes to covering a game.

I find it hard to believe 11:30 is too late to have an article about the home town team beating the #1 seed and #22 in the country. This is a prime example of how the Tribune continues to think the Gators are this town's team. It has to start somewhere and the newspaper is the prime source for most sports fans.

Get on board Tampa Tribune!

His blog is updated with the results, so its not like he's not paying attention to the team.  I'm not a Brett apologist, but in this case I think you guys should cut him some slack.

• Content Count:  3,096
  • Days Won:  1

I find it hard to believe 11:30 is too late to have an article about the home town team beating the #1 seed and #22 in the country. This is a prime example of how the Tribune continues to think the Gators are this town's team. It has to start somewhere and the newspaper is the prime source for most sports fans.

Get on board Tampa Tribune!

For continuity's sake, the Times (USF's official paper) did not have anything about the game as well, so there had to have been a press-time deadline involved in both cases.

• Content Count:  827

His blog is updated with the results, so its not like he's not paying attention to the team.  I'm not a Brett apologist, but in this case I think you guys should cut him some slack.

Blog? Who cares about the blog? Probably less than 1% of the sports fans read that thing. But everyone reads the paper in the morning!

I don't know if its Brett's fault or not. It still sucks not even a one liner saying the Bulls won!

Is that too much to ask?

Neither paper had anything on it, so we can drop this right?

• Content Count:  25

JG, JoeB, Big Hairy and others, without going into all the specifics, there are different deadlines for different pages - and the game ended about 11:45 p.m., which was past the deadline for the page that college baseball was on. I have nothing to do with the decision on what pages have specific deadlines. UF's game started at 2 p.m.

I had even filed a story to the paper when USF's game was still in the eighth inning to get into the paper - instead of waiting several minutes on the AP wire or USF's SID to file a story - so we would have something the instant the game went final. But the game did not end before the deadline on that specific page and we couldn't get the story in.

We did have a linescore in the paper (on a page with a later deadline), but yes, we would have preferred to have a story also.

And since you brought up the comparison to the Times, to advance the tournament on Tuesday, The Tribune ran a front-page story with a photo of Lelo Prado on what USF needed to do to get to the NCAA Tournament. I believe the Times only ran a capsule box and no story.

If you have any further questions about this - or anything else - you can e-mail me: bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com. Thanks

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Content Count:  17,487
  • Days Won:  13

JG, JoeB, Big Hairy and others, without going into all the specifics, there are different deadlines for different pages - and the game ended about 11:45 p.m., which was past the deadline for the page that college baseball was on. I have nothing to do with the decision on what pages have specific deadlines. UF's game started at 2 p.m.

I had even filed a story to the paper when USF's game was still in the eighth inning to get into the paper - instead of waiting several minutes on the AP wire or USF's SID to file a story - so we would have something the instant the game went final. But the game did not end before the deadline on that specific page and we couldn't get the story in.

We did have a linescore in the paper (on a page with a later deadline), but yes, we would have preferred to have a story also.

And since you brought up the comparison to the Times, to advance the tournament on Tuesday, The Tribune ran a front-page story with a photo of Lelo Prado on what USF needed to do to get to the NCAA Tournament. I believe the Times only ran a capsule box and no story.

If you have any further questions about this - or anything else - you can e-mail me: bmcmurphy@tampatrib.com. Thanks

There have been a few baseball storys in The Trib the past couple weeks. Was the Diaz article in the Times or the Trib. I am almost sure it was in the Trib.

Brett I dont know why there is so much hate on this board.

I am grateful for the work both you and Greg do.

Archived