• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jose' Rips Administration

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  1,036
  • Content Count:  7,517
  • Days Won:  10

Mea Culpa:  I knew about it and didn't go.

From the Trib:

Coach Rips Administration

By BRETT McMURPHY The Tampa Tribune

TAMPA - After the University of South Florida women upset No. 15 Louisville 74-58 Tuesday night, no USF students stormed the court. There were no wild on-court outbursts from the Bulls.

After the game in the media room, though, it was a much different story.

USF coach Jose Fernandez blasted the school's marketing department and administration for not promoting the game.

"It just fathoms me that you've got a basketball team that's gone to two NITs, an NCAA Tournament, we're 14-4, 4-1 in the league and you've got … 800 people in the stands," Fernandez said. "I don't understand it. It's absolutely ridiculous.

"On a Tuesday night, what else is going on? Is there a football game? Is there a hockey game? What is it? Oh, 'American Idol,' that's why we didn't draw better. Maybe we should do 'American Idol' tryouts at halftime."

The only thing that slowed the Bulls were four stoppages of play because the scoreboard clocks malfunctioned. Fernandez addressed that as well.

"We've got multimillion-dollar scoreboards and they don't work," Fernandez said. "That's another thing I don't understand. Oh well, we just have to continue to roll on through. Everybody will become a fan when we go to the NCAA Tournament."

Despite Fernandez turning around a program that was 4-24 in 2001 and plagued by allegations of racial discrimination that made national news, the women's basketball team has been virtually ignored by the marketing department, Fernandez said.

Meanwhile on the court, the Bulls (14-4, 4-1 Big East) definitely look primed for a second consecutive NCAA Tournament. USF led 35-22 at halftime. After UL (17-2, 3-2) closed within seven early in the second half, the Bulls rebuilt their lead to 18 points before a Sun Dome crowd of 845.

It was the second-highest-ranked team USF had defeated in program history, next to No. 11 DePaul last season.

"We knew we had it coming into the game," said sophomore Shantia Grace, who led USF with 20 points and 11 assists. "Just because they have a number in front of them, they still have to put on their jersey and lace their shoes like we do."

Jessica Dickson (15 points, nine rebounds), Nalini Miller (12 points, season-high 16 rebounds) and ChiChi Okpaleke (10 points, seven rebounds) also were key for USF.

Dickson, who has been battling flu-like symptoms the past week, was held scoreless in the second half but said her teammates picked up the slack.

"It's great to beat a ranked team, but we still have a long way to go," Dickson said.

Miller said the victory proved that "we can beat anybody."

Even if nobody in Tampa knows about them.

http://www.tbo.com/sports/bulls/MGB4EJEA1XE.html

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

I'll admit, I was gonna go before I remembered that I promised my gf I would watch American Idol with her

• Topic Count:  226
  • Content Count:  3,574
  • Days Won:  0

I'll admit, I was gonna go before I remembered that I promised my gf I would watch American Idol with her

:-X

"On a Tuesday night, what else is going on? Is there a football game? Is there a hockey game? What is it? Oh, 'American Idol,' that's why we didn't draw better. Maybe we should do 'American Idol' tryouts at halftime."

• Topic Count:  4
  • Content Count:  538

Nice work here. Is Mac giving Jose public relations tutoring?

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  3,475
  • Days Won:  7

Nice work here. Is Mac giving Jose public relations tutoring?

The difference between the two is, Fernandez puts a team on the floor that's actually worth watching most nights. Unlike McCullum, the lack of interest in Fernandez's team is due to circumstances outside his control. McCullum just can't coach.

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  195
  • Content Count:  6,766
  • Days Won:  3

That's a very interesting article.

I'm sure that this is quite an accomplishment for womens basketball, but...just gotta say it: it's womens basketball. Maybe if you're still a student, maybe if you're within walking distance of USF, maybe if you're a can't-get-enough-of-USF type of fan, you'll attend a game.

Bordering on the politically incorrect, womens basketball, not unlike softball, golf, tennis, sailing, etc. just doesn't sit up there at the top of the list of things to do. It's unfortunate, for the participants, but that's the way it is. And that applies regardless of how good the team may be in any given year.

Just look at this board. How many threads - let alone posts - are devoted to the state of mens BB, compared to anything associated with womens BB.  

Then again...from a press conference stream of thought...hey, this is gonna get us some pub, and with a catchy tag-line, more people will read about us. I know, had the title not been "rips USF", I wouldn't have read the article.  8-)

• Topic Count:  110
  • Content Count:  3,103

i've been to almost every womens basketball game this season, i came to last nights game during halftime after getting out of class, but i do have to agree with Jose.  walking around campus, the signs that show the times of the basketball games were not updated with the time for last nights womens basketball game, it still showed the times for this weekends games.  as "the diehards" we need to step it up and support this team, how many people on here that live within 30 minutes were posting updates during the game?  show up and support this team, who cares if its womens basketball or not, these ladies put there heart and soul into every game they play, they win games, and are on pace to go to a second straight NCAA tourny, and possibly being ranked in the top 25 after last nights victory.  you all sit here and complain about the mens team, yet you all show up to watch them, well the women deserve it as well.  flsportsfan83 ones said that womens basketball was the only team worth supporting, yet he refuses to go to a game, he'd rather attend mens games where he blasts the coach.  get up off your lazy butts and get to the game, you will not be dissappointed.

• Topic Count:  104
  • Content Count:  1,981

TIVO, what a great little invention.

• Topic Count:  343
  • Content Count:  13,697
  • Days Won:  45

That's a very interesting article.

I'm sure that this is quite an accomplishment for womens basketball, but...just gotta say it: it's womens basketball. Maybe if you're still a student, maybe if you're within walking distance of USF, maybe if you're a can't-get-enough-of-USF type of fan, you'll attend a game.

Bordering on the politically incorrect, womens basketball, not unlike softball, golf, tennis, sailing, etc. just doesn't sit up there at the top of the list of things to do. It's unfortunate, for the participants, but that's the way it is. And that applies regardless of how good the team may be in any given year.

Just look at this board. How many threads - let alone posts - are devoted to the state of mens BB, compared to anything associated with womens BB.  

Then again...from a press conference stream of thought...hey, this is gonna get us some pub, and with a catchy tag-line, more people will read about us. I know, had the title not been "rips USF", I wouldn't have read the article.  8-)

Truth

• Topic Count:  166
  • Content Count:  9,038
  • Days Won:  1

It is a shame, but it's also the way things are.  Hopefully, it will change in the years to come.