• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hey Sheriff, time to eat some crow

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239
  • Days Won:  0

I wouldn't mind seeing the Gator football team have a few more headaches.  Never has a team have so much arrogance without accomplishing anything.

Where are the out of region(or state for that matter) OOC games?  ND, OSU, Texas and USC do them, why can't their little brother Florida?

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest toolio
I wouldn't mind seeing the Gator football team have a few more headaches.  Never has a team have so much arrogance without accomplishing anything.

Where are the out of region(or state for that matter) OOC games?  ND, OSU, Texas and USC do them, why can't their little brother Florida?

I guess we could remove FSU from the schedule and put one of them in their place.

I'm always amazed when people complain about Florida's schedule. Maybe if Florida played the schedule that some of the other powerhouses played, we'd have more "accomplishments".

• Topic Count:  92
  • Content Count:  1,812

Nuke, actually, he did post it on the Main Board at first which is why some danders got up ..............

Looks like, though, GF is one of those atypical Gator fans that's not a complete ***** so I'm sure he would have posted it here originally if he anticipated the uproar  ............. Still, PM's or email would have been the best place to have done it since it was directed at just one person.

agreed I did not know it was on other board, my bad.

Oh please, that's horsecrap.

Let's look at some of the top couple of teams from each conference and their OOC games.

Florida:  vs USM, UCF, Western Carolina, at FSU

LSU:  vs UL-L, Arizona, Tulane, Fresno State

West Virginia:  vs Marshall, Buffalo, Maryland, at ECU

Louisville:  vs Kentucky, Miami, at Temple, at Kansas State, at MTSU

Ohio State:  vs Northern Illinois, Cincinnati, Bowling Green, at Texas

Michigan:  vs Vanderbilt, Central Michigan, Ball State, at Notre Dame

Oklahoma:  vs UAB, Washington, MTSU, at Oregon

Texas:  vs North Texas, Ohio State, Sam Houston State, at Rice

Florida State:  vs Troy, Rice, Western Michigan, Florida

Miami:  vs FAMU, Houston, FIU, at Louisville

USC:  vs Nebraska, Notre Dame, at Arkansas

UCLA:  vs Utah, Rice, at Notre Dame

Not only will Florida not go out of state for a OOC game, but they bring in I-AAs to avoid doing it.  Stop making excuses for Florida.  They are as bad as the Criminoles when it comes to out of state scheduling.

WVU, UL, LSU, USC, UCLA, OSU, UMich, Miami, Oklahoma all play BCS schools for OOC games.  Texas(they did it the year before), Florida State and Florida do not(outside of each other).  LSU plays BCS teams at home.

FSU had been trying to get in the SEC since the 1960's.  When YOUR conference slammed the door on them in the 70s, don't blame your game with FSU as being the reason why you don't play other OOC games away.  The SEC had their chance and blew it and Florida ended up having to suffer.  Blame your conference mates and stop pretending that playing Ole Miss, Miss State, Vanderbilt and Kentucky is better than Indiana, Illinois and Northwestern.

FYI:  I am not a Noles fan.

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  11

MRebe,

Like I said before, you can't decide who your opponent is in the NCAA Tournament.  Saying that if LSU had been on their game we would have lost is pure speculation.  Also UF beat LSU twice in the regular season.  If you're mad at the fact that LSU wasn't on their game why don't you tell their fans about it?  They did miss 15 of 24 free throws against UCLA.  I'm pretty sure you wouldn't make those comments if USF had won the national championship.  You will simply say "we played the teams in front of us and won."  UF can't decide the winner of the LSU-UCLA or the winner of the GMU-UConn game.  For the record I wanted UF to play UCLA in the finals instead of LSU even though we had a 2-0 record against LSU this year.  I think it is extremely hard to beat any team 3 times in one year no matter who they are.  Playing UCLA for the first time seemed easier in my opinion.  UCLA is no slouch though, just look at what they did in the tournament.  Some people may argue it was a weak Final Four with no #1 seeds but all four teams in the Final Four beat a #1 seed in order to get there.  If that dissapoints you, then you should have some words with the fans from Duke, UConn, Memphis and Nova.

ET,

In the past you have responded to anyone who has disagreed with The Sheriff by saying "Go F yourself" or something along those lines.  At least that's the impression you gave.  If I misjudged you by posting what I said I apologize.

• Topic Count:  197
  • Content Count:  10,251
  • Days Won:  14

DawgPound, I don't mean to be a bee in your bonnet, but FSU and Miami rejected the offer to be the 2 expansion teams in the SEC in the late 80s. It eventually led to Arkansas and South Carolina joining.

As for the schedules, I know Florida State has scheduled Alabama, Colorado, Oklahoma, and West Virginia. FSU usually has some pretty tough out of conference opponents on a yearly basis, not to mention they play Florida annually and had been scheduled to play Miami as a OOC game. To say they aren't scheduling correctly is a sham, they have never beeen scared to play anyone anywhere.

Florida has Miami, Notre Dame (looks like 2010 at RJS), and a deal in the works with Texas. In their defense they do play one game w/ FSU and one annual at a neutral site causing them to have two OOC games. The explaination my father gave me was that if they signed to play a Home and Home under the 11 team system they would only have 5 home games one year and their athletic budget requires 6 home games. (They make about 3M for each home game). There is no excuse for Western Carolina, but they are playing two teams from your "GREAT" Almost BCS conference...and if I'm reading their schedule right they play 8 bowl teams, plus Tennessee(who won't repeat last year again)...I wouldn't call it a cake walk.' I think at this point they play the hardest schdule in the country next year.

That being said I'd like ALL schools to step up and play real games...Michigan plays 2 BCS teams, but one is Vandy...

USC is doing a HANDS DOWN great job of scheduling I commend that school and remind everyone that there is a reason why they are the BEST program in college football these days. Tough Opponents, tough athletes, and a lot of fun to watch...(I know smazza will go batty hearing me say this)

• Topic Count:  114
  • Content Count:  2,052

Gator, The point really was not superlative to just LSU. The tourney is skewed. My point is take the top ten and let them battle it out. Play it in the Olympic format, and not limit the outcome to maybe a bad day. UF had the easy road, to which you are correct, it was not their choice. They took the opponent as it came and they won. I mean, UConn or Duke were the top contenders all year. They by all means and purposes should have taken the cake. BUT a bad outing sunk both of them. Really and honestly, UF by all averages did not figure in the calculations. BUT they won. It just goes to show the skew. That my friend was my point. I applaud that a Florida Team representing the state won. It will all add an ounce of respectibility to what has become a barren wasteland for hoops. (Just go to a local BB game in HS and see what I mean.) But my allegiences remain, and my dislike also remains. That's what makes College sports so great! By the way, you saw my smilie!!!      Reaper

• Topic Count:  3
  • Content Count:  11

MRebe,

Doesn't that sound a lot like the BCS?  If I remember correctly most Bulls fans were saying down with the BCS before the Big East Conference extended USF a formal invitation to join.  Are you sure that is what you want as a USF fan since USF has not been able to reach top 10 status yet?  What about the mid-majors and their automatic conference champ bids?  The beauty of the NCAA Tournament is that it provides every single team in Division 1 the opportunity to win the NC.  If you are Duke or UConn just be respectable in your conference and you're most likely in.  If you are a mid major you most likely have to win your conference and then battle a gauntlet of elite programs in order to reach the Final Four.  That is exactly what George Mason did.  Only 1 in 100 schools may end up doing what GMU did but at least you provide them with that opportunity.  A tournament of the top 10 teams will only provide the regular guys (Duke, UNC, Kansas, etc.) with an opportunity to win it.  This tournament can also be skewed since the poll voters will deliberately keep certain schools high in the polls knowing the top 10 will be selected.  The media will also influece that knowing a Duke-Kansas matchup will have better ratings than some other teams even though those two may not really be top-1o teams.  Also the teams ranked high in pre-season will have a huge advantage over those who are not ranked high as they will have a tough time climbing to the top in the polls.  Are you sure that is what you want as a USF fan?

Hearing about FSU getting an invite in the 80s really doesn't make sense.  They were gung ho like mad about the SEC for decades.  Them turning the SEC down doesn't make sense.  Now, I know right before the ACC gave them the official invitation, the SEC said "no" one more time.  That was a bad idea for the SEC as Arkansas really doesn't belong.

CUSA is not a current BCS conference(thus I didn't get into their scheduling practices, which are different than the SEC).

If I'm correct, and don't quote me on it, but UGA and UF switch off as the "Home" team for the Jax game as far as scheduling goes, so every other year, UF has 4 home conference games and then throw in FSU every other year.  There have been 12 game seasons before and things didn't change.  I'm not big on having the top tier conferences adding I-AA teams to the schedule for the 12 game.  That game should be for these big time matchups.  Seeing a OSU/Texas caliber game is very much worth it.

Playing Notre Dame is fine, but are they playing it IN-STATE, which still plays into the arguement of them not playing OOC games out of state.

Guest toolio

DawgPound,

Nope. The SEC was set to invite FSU for the 1992 expansion. Bowden blocked the deal saying the schedule would be too difficult and he would only join if he could control who he played in conference.

As for comparing schedules. I notice you only want to look at OOC schedules.

Why is that? Is it because it would ruin your argument?