• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Hey Sheriff, time to eat some crow

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078
  • Days Won:  0

sports is a business, whether you want to admit it or not

so, what you call greedy, I call good business decisions

• Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,587
  • Days Won:  424

Well, technically, one team of the UF/UGA game counts it as a home game as far as scheduling goes.  This year, UF is the away team, so they still have 4 SEC games at home.

I have a hard time calling it an away game where at least half the stadium are Gator fans......... at the minimum, they have 7 1/2 home games this year.

I can understand, somewhat, where toolio comes from with competitiveness of the SEC and having to play FSU every year .... although it would be a more valid argument if they weren't back to ducking UM again.

RT is right, though, it makes good business sense to keep bringing in the fodder and making a huge payday but don't insult us by whining that "We'll always be at a competitive disadvantage playing less home games than many major programs." That's Bull****.

• Topic Count:  81
  • Content Count:  2,239

RT and Trip, I agree with you both.  It's all about the benjamins.  And yes, it's major BS to say that "We'll always be at a competitive disadvantage playing less home games than many major programs." cause it's a flat out lie.

Guest toolio

Well, I give up.

Florida plays a tougher schedule than all the other teams listed, yet you give FSU and Miami "more" credit.

Both teams ran away when the SEC came knocking.

Bowden made a comment that "he'd rather play for a national championship every year, than every week".

So, the fact that FSU and Miami schedule a couple out of state games to make their schedules less weak just doesn't hold water to me. They both had an honest opportunity to play a difficult schedule and both ducked.

Guest toolio

toolio, admit it, Florida is just downright greedy.

That must be it... while everyone else is playing weaker schedules out of the goodness of their heart.

Guest toolio

Cut the crap. You don't play less home games than hardly any major programs. Very few play 8 home games consistently and anyway, you should count UGA as a home game every year which gives you 8 for this year, too ........

Not consistently, no. But take a look at the new 12 game schedules that schools are putting out. UF will be play 6-7 home games each year... many other powerhouses will be playing 7-8 home games per year.

I took a look at UF's schedule for 2006, and I think 4 of UF's opponents are playing 8 home games in 2006.

It's much more common than you think with this new 12 game schedule.

Well, I give up.

Florida plays a tougher schedule than all the other teams listed, yet you give FSU and Miami "more" credit.

Both teams ran away when the SEC came knocking.

Bowden made a comment that "he'd rather play for a national championship every year, than every week".

So, the fact that FSU and Miami schedule a couple out of state games to make their schedules less weak just doesn't hold water to me. They both had an honest opportunity to play a difficult schedule and both ducked.

So the decades of the SEC telling FSU to take a hike doesn't matter?  If I was told for 30 years to go away, I'd consider an offer from people who actually made an effort to make me feel wanted.  FSU going to the ACC should never have happened.  They should have been in the SEC long before South Carolina or Arkansas, but the conference had other plans.  The only people who think Florida has it rough compared to anyone are Florida fans.  The rest of the world sees it without the orange and blue glasses.

Also, Florida's schedule wasn't always tougher.  Even the ranking system in cfbdatawarehouse isn't on your side.  The 25 years of 1975-1999 has Florida ranked 12th with "schedule points" being weaker than Washington, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern.  I guess your excuse is that it's biased against you.  Florida's "glory days" of the 1990s only got them 20th in scheduling points.  The 1980s was better as they were 8th in scheduling.  All time, Florida is good(21st in schedule, 24th overall), but not as good as you claim them to be.

So spare the rest of us with this garbage you're trying to feed us.

• Topic Count:  287
  • Content Count:  3,078

this is one of the dumbest arguments I have ever heard...

UF makes a TON of money off of home games, whether it is Texas or Ball St.

UF plays in the toughest conference in the country and annually plays FSU (perenially one of the best teams in the country) too

Why in the hell would they care about playing a good team out of state??  No matter who they schedule, if they go undefeated, crap maybe even one loss, and win the SEC, they will almost ALWAYS be in the championship game.  

Florida State plays Florida every year and played Miami OOC before they joined the ACC, yet they still traveled to play other schools out of state.

And thanks for backing my point.  It's all about the $$ and not collegiate competition.  While SoS is not officially a BCS component, it is for human and computer polling.  Ask USC, and Auburn about the what a marquee OOC game can do(they didn't have one).

Guest Toolio

So the decades of the SEC telling FSU to take a hike doesn't matter?  If I was told for 30 years to go away, I'd consider an offer from people who actually made an effort to make me feel wanted.  FSU going to the ACC should never have happened.  They should have been in the SEC long before South Carolina or Arkansas, but the conference had other plans.  The only people who think Florida has it rough compared to anyone are Florida fans.  The rest of the world sees it without the orange and blue glasses.

Also, Florida's schedule wasn't always tougher.  Even the ranking system in cfbdatawarehouse isn't on your side.  The 25 years of 1975-1999 has Florida ranked 12th with "schedule points" being weaker than Washington, Michigan, Ohio State, Notre Dame, UCLA, USC, Stanford, Michigan State, Illinois, Purdue, and Northwestern.  I guess your excuse is that it's biased against you.  Florida's "glory days" of the 1990s only got them 20th in scheduling points.  The 1980s was better as they were 8th in scheduling.  All time, Florida is good(21st in schedule, 24th overall), but not as good as you claim them to be.

So spare the rest of us with this garbage you're trying to feed us.

LOL... now we get down to it.

FSU didn't feel wanted 30 years ago so they can play a weaker schedule today as an excuse.

As for ranking schedules in the system. I'm sure Florida is hurt by playing a couple cupcakes every year.

But guess what, a top 10 team will destroy the 100th ranked football team as easily as the 60th ranked football team.

That's why I chose to look only at ranked opponents.

At least we've figured out how you debate, Dawg... last week you said that if the facts didn't agree with you, you'd admit it.

So far, it's been all "It doesn't matter that Florida plays a tougher schedule or that FSU ducked the SEC, it's all greed greed greed"

They're not orange and blue glasses, they're facts in black and white. I know it's tough to admit that you are wrong... but just don't lie about it.