• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Jefferson football coach Simmonds to join USF

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

So is anyone going to stick to the topic of this thread and shed some light on Simmonds? I know there has to be at least one rational person out there that can post a little blurb about the pro's and con's of the latest addition to the coaching staff.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  919
  • Days Won:  0

I'm with you paisa.  It seems like lately this Board has turned soooooo negative.  Every thread strays off topic and turns into a PJ or Rod Smith or recruiting ranking bashing.  It's beginning to ruin the Board in my opinion.

Maybe I should start a new thread for this, since I'm off topic too.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

It doesn't matter how awful the offense was, they still won the super bowl with T Dilfer as their QB. Our team is built on D as well.

Baltimore coaches were able to use Dilfer effectively. They didn't ask him to do things he wasn't capable of.

Dungy isn't allowed to touch the offense in Indy. That was his problem here. He had control of his O and wasn't able to get job done.

Maybe JL needs to have no say in our offense. Hire an experienced co-ordinator who isn't under his thumb.

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

So is anyone going to stick to the topic of this thread and shed some light on Simmonds? I know there has to be at least one rational person out there that can post a little blurb about the pro's and con's of the latest addition to the coaching staff.

check out greg's blog for more info.

Could help in landing Rose who plays for him at jefferson. possibly help in landing Garcia next year as one of top passing qb prospects in florida.

http://www.sptimes.com/blogs/usf/

• Topic Count:  37
  • Content Count:  1,480

Its Lay off the stupid pills huh?

You could give PJ and Denson Mike Holmgren for all I care.  He sucks.  He is awful.  

Its like asking a driver to turn a great lap in a ****** car, with awful tires.  Yeah, maybe another driver could turn a better lap, but the lap will still suck.

Smith is not the problem.  The problem is the QB.  You can not coach touch.  You can only coach up so much inability.

Its like you guys sit around on this board and pity PJ.  The guy is the worst QB i have ever seen.  I remember countless games where he went 8 or 10 for 23 with 3 ints and no TDs.

A OC is totally hamstrung if he has a QB who cannot complete 12 passes a game.  In fact if PJ could just not throw interceptions we would have been way better off.

How do you keep defenses honest when you can't throw the ball.  We have a reciever that is freak 6-6 and he still overthrows him.  Our offense sucked before smith came.  It would suck after smith was gone if Denson or PJ is the QB.

You act like this is just something new.  Our offense has sucked for the last 3 years.  All becuase our QB play is pitiful.

GIve me a break.  Coach up talent. Under your theory we could put you guys in there and the coach should be able to make you good.  Its you who is on the stupid pills.

PJ wasn't even a passer in high school.  Do you think there was a reason for that?  Because he sucked at passing the ball.  He ran a wing-t offense in high school.  Wake up.

Why don't you have the same standards for that bum MAC who has totally destroyed our average basketball program.

I disagree, put PJ or Denson with a decent QB coach and they will be a heck of a lot better then what we've seen. Not saying they would be a star but I do believe they would be usable.

No, it isn't like giving a ****** car to a driver...it's like giving a ****** car to a mechanic and asking him to make it less ******. A decent mechanic should be able to get most cars (even ****** ones) to make it around the track. And that is pretty much the crux of the issue, do you believe the coach is simply a driver of the car or does the coach also have a part in building the car. I think the last part is very important and lacking under Smith.

Nope I don't pity PJ, however I think he isn't the ONLY problem on offense. Fact is you need BOTH a coach that can develop players and players that have talent. Lack either one and you will not achieve your potential. Also, it is obvious we are doing the best we can trying to improve the talent level but I am floored that we obviously could give a rats ass about the other piece and frankly that should be the easiest area to fix. Why do you think it has to be one or the other?

Do I think I can go out there? Hell no, but to put it in a way maybe you can relate (assuming you are or were a student) Gotta have brains to succeed in the classroom right? However, no matter how smart you are a good teacher can always make you better and a crappy teacher will force you to rely on only your own ability and add NOTHING to your success. I have also seen teachers take those of....less then high inteligence...and help them to excel. We should be looking for that great teacher that can suppliment any talent....and help make up for any lack therof. If you think Smith is the guy then I'll just agree to disagree with you.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  152

I just trust CJL.  

Smith has only been the OC for a short time.

CJL knows what is up.

He knows our QB situation is pitiful.

If he thought a coaching change would help, he would make that move.

I really believe that.

• Topic Count:  132
  • Content Count:  10,380
  • Days Won:  18

check out greg's blog for more info.

Could help in landing Rose who plays for him at jefferson. possibly help in landing Garcia next year as one of top passing qb prospects in florida.

http://www.sptimes.com/blogs/usf/

Thanks, I've done that already. I was hoping some of the more "in-the-know" posters could elaborate a little more than what Greg had posted in his blog.

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,465
  • Days Won:  25

I agree that PJ is not the qb we want, but as I see the problem, the system is.

An empty backfield with a guy that can't read a defense is a call for disaster, and that's what we've got.

We need better coaching from these guys, or someone else.

I think we need an OC that can make a game plan for the talent he has.

You find the strength of the player and build on that, not try to force them into something they can't do.

Early recruiting mistakes may have caught up with us and now we need coaching to get us thru next year.

Simmonds may just be the guy to get that done...

• Topic Count:  219
  • Content Count:  3,827

How about getting back to the topic of this thread instead of bashing Smith and RMC ad nauseum? Can anyone shed some light on this Simmonds guy? He seems to have produced some quality teams with Jefferson H.S., but what does this mean to USF?

Exactly.

BACK ON TOPIC:

I think the Simmonds hire is a GREAT hire by Leavitt....at least that's how it looks on the outside, of course.

What was his record in HS? 72-28? Is that any good? :)

Bring winners into your program and your program will be a winner.

Also agree with what smazza said, I love this guy's attitude.  He wants to win championships, and is willing to come in and work his way up the coaching ladder. Love it.

And dont forget about recruiting. A possible Jefferson pipeline to go along with our already good relationship with Armwood.....things are going in the right direction, that's for sure.

Props to everyone involved in this hire.

Guest BullsFans

I think we need an OC that can make a game plan for the talent he has.

You find the strength of the player and build on that, not try to force them into something they can't do.

AMEN