• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any word on if an extension has been offered to CAAR?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Days Won:  0

30 minutes ago, Sk00b said:

We are going to make FSU pay for him? Or are you saying he's going to FSU?

Give him a very competitive offer to keep him if attractive schools go for him after a successful NCAAT run.  

CAAR seems like a genuine and authentic guy and clearly loves USF, but this is a business. I don’t doubt for a minute that he’ll run if the offer and school is right. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,685
  • Days Won:  14

19 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

While it is fun to discuss this issue, it is pretty much meaningless. We have no idea what CAAR feels and what communication he has had with the school about potential opportunities from other schools. What if CAAR told his boss that he has no intentions of leaving for a "bigger school" or for more pay? 

For some coaches, they are happy where they are for a variety of reasons. If it were me, being in a city with great climate and beaches and a few hours drive away from many other nice beach towns and from Disney, I would not want to leave that. What about a coach who would rather build a program to prominence than to coach at one that is already established? Leavitt turned down the Alabama job to build USF football into prominence.

The more I hear CAAR speak, the more he comes across to me as someone who would prefer to build USF into a powerhouse than to go to an already established program. He is a man who believes in family happiness, engagement with the community and in being an influence for young athletes. He is achieving these things with great success here. Sometimes there are more important things in life than earning the most money possible. Perhaps he would be happier in building USF into a powerhouse for $2 million than going to FSU for $4 million.

This is all possible. If true, we will have truly found a gem in AAR. There are exceptions to every rule. Leavitt staying at USF instead of going to Alabama, for example. Dusty May staying at FAU after the NCAAT last year. Will CAAR and/or CAG be exceptions to the rule? Only time will tell, but I sure hope so.

On the other hand, skeptics will say this line of reasoning is cute, but $$$ is all that matters. There's some truth to that, based on human nature and past experience. Also, media folks (especially those with strong biases or fans of blue-blood schools (trying to avoid referencing the whole made-up "power" nomenclature BS) will tell you in writing and on the radio that "it's only a matter of time" while they lick their chops, encouraging their schools to poach our good coaches. They aren't interested in the exceptions, because they want us/need us to be their developmental league - so they don't focus on or even mention that possibility.

But I prefer to focus on the possibility CAAR and/or CAG will turn out to be exceptions, and leave the rest to ADMK (clearly he has earned our trust) and our big-money boosters to handle everything else. Not much more I can do about it really.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,398
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Give him a very competitive offer to keep him if attractive schools go for him after a successful NCAAT run.  

CAAR seems like a genuine and authentic guy and clearly loves USF, but this is a business. I don’t doubt for a minute that he’ll run if the offer and school is right. 

As he should. I know I would.

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,875
  • Days Won:  67

It is obvious to me he is back next year as is Youngblood, stroud and everyone else with the exception of Placer, Miguel and Hines.  He will stay because he has the core, adding new pieces and can replicate that success again next year, the same reason Dusty stayed (team was back). Dusty is gone after this season (team is gone) much like CAAR will be after next year.  He is a smart man and will strike when his stock is high and before the cupboard is empty.  Timing is everything, these guys know when to hold them and when to fold and bolt. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  222

23 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

I still have a few left. Believe they were buy a sandwich, fries and drink and get a sandwich. Only used one. We don't get down to Fowler very often other than games.

Same here - were usually in the area for only basketball games, and we already have our meals covered (Hardwood or Arena Club), so we don’t go there very often. I do like Portillos, though - unfortunately, they’re not in Polk County. Great business opportunity for someone…

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  362
  • Days Won:  1

13 hours ago, Friscobull said:

It is obvious to me he is back next year as is Youngblood, stroud and everyone else with the exception of Placer, Miguel and Hines.  He will stay because he has the core, adding new pieces and can replicate that success again next year, the same reason Dusty stayed (team was back). Dusty is gone after this season (team is gone) much like CAAR will be after next year.  He is a smart man and will strike when his stock is high and before the cupboard is empty.  Timing is everything, these guys know when to hold them and when to fold and bolt. 

I don’t think Dusty is going anywhere he could have left and took the whole team with him to another school.I think he just likes where he is at.

Youngblood and stroud can transfer right away because they would be a grad transfers next year if coach rahim left. 

I think if Karter Knox commits to USF coach will be here next year. 

• Upvote 1

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,612
  • Content Count:  74,599
  • Days Won:  424

3 hours ago, Cmr3 said:

I don’t think Dusty is going anywhere he could have left and took the whole team with him to another school.I think he just likes where he is at.

Youngblood and stroud can transfer right away because they would be a grad transfers next year if coach rahim left. 

So what makes you think that CAAR is that much different than Dusty?

• Like 2

• Topic Count:  12
  • Content Count:  1,489

You can tell he really cares about his players, I doubt he leaves after one year and screws over the guys who came with him from Kennesaw State.  Yes, they could transfer, but hopping to a new school is still a hassle.  After they have graduated, maybe he moves on, but I don't see him leaving after one season.

Edited by bullstampede9922

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  362
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, Triple B said:

So what makes you think that CAAR is that much different than Dusty?

I’m not saying he is different but he left Kennesaw for USF, So he has done it already either for money or a better opportunity at a higher level of basketball.The next opportunity he gets will be the same again to coach at a higher level and probably more money, so we will see what happens.Not all coaches leave mid major programs when they are successful but 80% do.I don’t blame him if he does leave because if he had 2 losing seasons here  he would probably get fired at USF, so he has to look at what’s best for him overall. I hope he stays but that’s just the reality of it.

I do think if Karter Knox commits to USF coach will be here next year because we will be better next year talent wise with Knox.

Dusty May’s first head coaching job is at FAU and he decided to stay which is very rare they don’t even have a practice facility like us so much respect to that man. That’s like if CAAR stayed at Kennesaw as far as facilities go.

Edited by Cmr3

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

1 hour ago, Cmr3 said:

I’m not saying he is different but he left Kennesaw for USF, So he has done it already either for money or a better opportunity at a higher level of basketball.The next opportunity he gets will be the same again to coach at a higher level and probably more money, so we will see what happens.Not all coaches leave mid major programs when they are successful but 80% do.I don’t blame him if he does leave because if he had 2 losing seasons here  he would probably get fired at USF, so he has to look at what’s best for him overall. I hope he stays but that’s just the reality of it.

I do think if Karter Knox commits to USF coach will be here next year because we will be better next year talent wise with Knox.

Dusty May’s first head coaching job is at FAU and he decided to stay which is very rare they don’t even have a practice facility like us so much respect to that man. That’s like if CAAR stayed at Kennesaw as far as facilities go.

Not really the same but I understand what you mean with the facilities and how that would be the same. Dusty came back with the same lineup that he just went to the Final Four with and he wanted another shot at it. Can you imagine if he is able to bring a National Championship to FAU this season, what his stock would be worth at that point? That's what he was thinking about when he decided to stay because like you said, it was his first HC job. He needed to prove himself and with having all his guys back, it'd be silly to move on without giving it another go.