• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Any word on if an extension has been offered to CAAR?

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  257
  • Content Count:  2,407
  • Days Won:  5

This is my offer if I had it to offer....up the contract to 2.4 million, increase the assistant pool, add an additional year for the next 3 years at the schools choice, 6 mil buyout.  150k increase a year and upgrade 500k if we get in a power conf

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  1,750
  • Content Count:  17,473
  • Days Won:  13

19 minutes ago, bcgruber said:

This is my offer if I had it to offer....up the contract to 2.4 million, increase the assistant pool, add an additional year for the next 3 years at the schools choice, 6 mil buyout.  150k increase a year and upgrade 500k if we get in a power conf

would be very attractive. He has earned it.

• Topic Count:  129
  • Content Count:  3,114
  • Days Won:  7

Definitely need to raise the rate for sure. I would at least boost his pay to $1.5M, make the bonuses a bit bigger (say double them as they're fairly small), and raise the buyout to $3 million. A bigger school will pay it and that pays for our next coach. 

With that said CAAR will look for the right job. I think he would want to target a place like UGA where he's coached before and Mike White will be on the hot seat going into next year. Leonard Hamilton is about to retire at FSU, but that's historically been a fairly dead-end job with poor facilities and recruiting. 

But for the ones saying we should triple his pay...get out of here. Even if we sell out every game next season we're looking at $3-4 million in revenue at most not factoring in any expenses.  The licensing agreement with Adidas helps some too but how much I'm not sure. You still have to pay full cost of attendance for the players and salaries for assistants and managers. If we breakeven on MBB after all that we're doing well. 

The TV revenue is pretty much getting paid to the football coaching staff and I'm hopeful there will be way more ticket sales for FB next year as there's way more marginal revenue opportunities there. I don't think we're paying anything more than we're already paying on fixed costs for football currently. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  683
  • Content Count:  7,640
  • Days Won:  6

He's making a lot of incentives this year already.  I say calm down and provide him additional incentives for next year to increase performance but no increase to base pay yet.  If we are conference champs and make it to the NCAAT next year, then lock him down for a couple more years at an increased salary plus higher incentives.  Let's not go crazy.

Edited by 79 Bull
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,875
  • Days Won:  67

1 hour ago, flsportsfan83 said:

looks like we get 2 mil, if he leaves this year.

Maybe a little less if he leaves after the end of this month, , it is prorated. Maybe 1.9 mil

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,398
  • Days Won:  3

Cheese and rice folks. Where is the enjoy the ride thread. 

• Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  304
  • Days Won:  0

Open the war chest if the team makes the NCAAT and gets to the second or third weekend. Schools hire (in part) on a coach’s ability to go far in the tourney. 

• Topic Count:  8
  • Content Count:  362
  • Days Won:  1

45 minutes ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

Definitely need to raise the rate for sure. I would at least boost his pay to $1.5M, make the bonuses a bit bigger (say double them as they're fairly small), and raise the buyout to $3 million. A bigger school will pay it and that pays for our next coach. 

With that said CAAR will look for the right job. I think he would want to target a place like UGA where he's coached before and Mike White will be on the hot seat going into next year. Leonard Hamilton is about to retire at FSU, but that's historically been a fairly dead-end job with poor facilities and recruiting. 

But for the ones saying we should triple his pay...get out of here. Even if we sell out every game next season we're looking at $3-4 million in revenue at most not factoring in any expenses.  The licensing agreement with Adidas helps some too but how much I'm not sure. You still have to pay full cost of attendance for the players and salaries for assistants and managers. If we breakeven on MBB after all that we're doing well. 

The TV revenue is pretty much getting paid to the football coaching staff and I'm hopeful there will be way more ticket sales for FB next year as there's way more marginal revenue opportunities there. I don't think we're paying anything more than we're already paying on fixed costs for football currently. 

I think if Mike White got fired that would be a very attractive job for him.Mike white just got there so I think he will at least get one more year. 

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,398
  • Days Won:  3

24 minutes ago, Bob Loblaw said:

Open the war chest

We are going to make FSU pay for him? Or are you saying he's going to FSU?

• Topic Count:  32
  • Content Count:  775
  • Days Won:  2

While it is fun to discuss this issue, it is pretty much meaningless. We have no idea what CAAR feels and what communication he has had with the school about potential opportunities from other schools. What if CAAR told his boss that he has no intentions of leaving for a "bigger school" or for more pay? 

For some coaches, they are happy where they are for a variety of reasons. If it were me, being in a city with great climate and beaches and a few hours drive away from many other nice beach towns and from Disney, I would not want to leave that. What about a coach who would rather build a program to prominence than to coach at one that is already established? Leavitt turned down the Alabama job to build USF football into prominence.

The more I hear CAAR speak, the more he comes across to me as someone who would prefer to build USF into a powerhouse than to go to an already established program. He is a man who believes in family happiness, engagement with the community and in being an influence for young athletes. He is achieving these things with great success here. Sometimes there are more important things in life than earning the most money possible. Perhaps he would be happier in building USF into a powerhouse for $2 million than going to FSU for $4 million.