• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

What happened with our former conference mates???

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

UCF has a very impressive 2024 recruiting class. Out of 17 commits, they have 9 four stars and their class is ranked in the top 30 in the country. They had 9 four star recruits in total from 2017 to 2023.  Only Texas Tech has a better class than them at this point. 

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  397
  • Days Won:  0

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

UCF has a very impressive 2024 recruiting class. Out of 17 commits, they have 9 four stars and their class is ranked in the top 30 in the country. They had 9 four star recruits in total from 2017 to 2023.  Only Texas Tech has a better class than them at this point. 

Hopefully, in a couple of years or so we can recruit at this level, we have the talent in Tampa, just need to keep them here.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

35 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

. No reason why WVU cant be successful

Yet they haven't been.

• Upvote 1

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

Louisville did well this year.

TCU was in the championship game last year

Pitt had some good years. Rutgers was decent this year.

UCF are still in a bowl game and had a big win against Oklahoma State. Cincy will be ok. No reason why WVU cant be successful

We had some of our best years in the Big East, were ranked, and beat a lot of elite teams. When we rejoin a Power 5 conference there is no reason why we can't be successful

I think we could compete in the acc if the big boys leave. I'm not saying we shouldn't move up.

Like I said most teams become mediocre though.

tcu is an exception even though they are 59-49 in big 12 play since joining. so is va tech

Louisville is 44-38 in acc since joining.

they played in sugar bowl and orange bowl while in big east.

0 acc conference championships

Pitt is 50-40

finished 3-9 this year

1 acc conference championship

rutgers is 16-72 including 3 seasons where they didn't win a single conference game.

0 conference championships

wvu is 53-54.

used to finish top 5 and play bcs bowls in big east

miami is 89-72

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Days Won:  10

4 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Yet they haven't been.

True but there is nothing that is holding them back besides not having hired the right coach.

They are just like any team; one good hire away from success.

Edited by belgianbull

• Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

7 minutes ago, belgianbull said:

True but there is nothing that is holding them back besides not having hired the right coach.

They are just like any team; one good hire away from success.

I guess Vandy has missed on every hire since 1933....there are plenty of programs in every conference that never sniff a conference title.

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  2

42 minutes ago, Bryson W said:

Hopefully, in a couple of years or so we can recruit at this level, we have the talent in Tampa, just need to keep them here.

The more Golesh wins and keeps building relationships locally, the more you'll keep high local talent. But there's still an artificial cap due to G5 vs P4/5. 

Plenty of players have liked us (and I'm sure USF) in the past, strong relationships with the coaches, but wanted to be P5. So they didn't come here. A great recruiting class for us would be 1 to 3 4-stars. 

We're not doing anything different but just the P5 label removes that stigma. Our 2022 class was half recruited by the time the Big 12 announcement came so limited impact there, 1 4-star. Our 2023 class got better, 3 4-stars. Both 2022 and 2023 were ranked upper 30s when combing both HS and transfer rankings.

But now this 2024 class that we're recruiting while fully in the Big 12 is better than anything we've ever done before. Flirting with top 25 with just the HS portion. The transfer aspect won't really be set until summer. We have 9 4-stars right now, the entire G5 combined has 2. And we haven't done anything fundamentally different or even gotten a Big 12 check yet.

Edited by UCF_rustbucket

• Topic Count:  1
  • Content Count:  401
  • Days Won:  2

On 11/26/2023 at 8:11 AM, TromBull12 said:

I honestly thought that if given the chance, we could go toe to toe with anyone (when we were consistently good).

You absolutely can, but it's the week in and week out of facing that level of competition while not having the same depth that grinds you down. 

The good: we went toe to toe with Oklahoma, blasted Ok State, kept up with defending champs K State for most of the game, and wrecked Baylor for about 3 quarters.

The bad: Didn't have the horses to keep up with K State in the end, completely collapsed against Baylor (though that's more on Gus than the talent since Baylor just isn't good), getting absolutely Jayhawked, and disappointing losses to TT and WVU.

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  2,028
  • Days Won:  10

17 minutes ago, Bull94 said:

I guess Vandy has missed on every hire since 1933....there are plenty of programs in every conference that never sniff a conference title.

Success can be defined many different ways. We have never won a conference championship either, but I would call 2007 and 2017 success. Duke who seems to always suck at football had a decent year, and most of their fans would call what they had this year success.

Nothing precludes WVU from hiring a good coach and compete for the Big 12, especially with Texas and Oklahoma gone

Edited by belgianbull

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  993
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Triple B said:

In our year one, we were 2 wins away from a New Year's bowl game ....

we also beat two "P5" teams with winning records and were 1 win away from bowl ineligible and in any case we went to a conference that had lost its top two programs and another that was consistently top half of the conference.  2005 is a good example of beating one good team and calling it a season.