• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Transfer Portal

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  452
  • Days Won:  0

1 hour ago, Bull Matrix said:

So thankful USF’s location is in TB. USF will always be able to bring in good transfers.

Really? All I have been reading about over the last several weeks is how we have no talent.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,290
  • Days Won:  25

I dont care where they come from HS, transfer portal, fcs, or juco if they are an upgrade over the current player they play.

• Upvote 2
  • Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

2 hours ago, Triple B said:

At our level, we’re not getting free agents, for the most part, but pulling off the waiver wire and hoping. 

I hope we're doing more than hoping.  Talent evaluation is more important than ever.  It was important before the portal.  It is still.  You can't just pick up guys dropped by P5 and think they're going to be good.  I know you know that.  Not impugning your comment.  It's tough, but we have to hit on signees.   Probably should have an expanded coaching staff just to evaluate the larger pool of former "3 stars".  LOL.

• Topic Count:  119
  • Content Count:  6,519
  • Days Won:  28

14 hours ago, hm101 said:

We need juco players not p5 washouts

Most Juco players technically are transfers from P5 schools or students who didn't have the grades. Besides Jason-Pierre Paul, what Juco players ever made an impact at USF? I think our best bet is to find the best FCS/D2 players in the portal. As for P5 transfers, we have had plenty of success in addition to failures. P5 transfers are not all the same. If I'm a good player sitting behind 2 NFL-caliber players, does it mean I suck? Some players are homesick, some players are clashing with a bad coaching staff, and some players want to leave a traumatic event and start fresh. You also have P5 grad transfers that may not have started, but played a crapload of games and is physically at their peak.

• Topic Count:  601
  • Content Count:  16,340
  • Days Won:  43

2 hours ago, 00Bull said:

Really? All I have been reading about over the last several weeks is how we have no talent.

USF has talent. Always have. Just didn’t have the correct coaching staffs to help these talented Florida kids grow into better players. USF has it made when it comes to both the transfer portal & NIL. TAMPA!!! BAY!!!!!!!

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,610
  • Content Count:  74,525
  • Days Won:  422

14 minutes ago, Brad said:

I hope we're doing more than hoping.  Talent evaluation is more important than ever.  It was important before the portal.  It is still.  You can't just pick up guys dropped by P5 and think they're going to be good.  I know you know that.  Not impugning your comment.  It's tough, but we have to hit on signees.   Probably should have an expanded coaching staff just to evaluate the larger pool of former "3 stars".  LOL.

Not feeling impugned. Of course you evaluate but nothing is guaranteed. You can scout and evaluate all you want but until they get here and play, they’re hoping what they saw translates to here. 

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  96,987
  • Days Won:  469

1 minute ago, Triple B said:

Not feeling impugned. Of course you evaluate but nothing is guaranteed. You can scout and evaluate all you want but until they get here and play, they’re hoping what they saw translates to here. 

It's not a crapshoot.  If you do a good job evaluating, it translates 99% of the time.  If you look at a kids hypetape or rely on Rivals stars, you're bound to fail.  I don't sense Golesh is lazy enough to invite failure in the recruiting/evaluation process.

• Topic Count:  176
  • Content Count:  8,612
  • Days Won:  28

12 minutes ago, Brad said:

It's not a crapshoot.  If you do a good job evaluating, it translates 99% of the time.  If you look at a kids hypetape or rely on Rivals stars, you're bound to fail.  I don't sense Golesh is lazy enough to invite failure in the recruiting/evaluation process.

This was the approach taken by xCJS...see Jarren Williams, Cade Fortin, Ajou Ajou, Matt Hill etc. and the crappy results followed.  It does seem like Golesh is putting in more time when evaluating these transfers.  The only flame out so far that I can think of is Lloyd Summerall.  Time will tell

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

17 minutes ago, Gatorbull325 said:

Most Juco players technically are transfers from P5 schools or students who didn't have the grades. Besides Jason-Pierre Paul, what Juco players ever made an impact at USF? I think our best bet is to find the best FCS/D2 players in the portal. As for P5 transfers, we have had plenty of success in addition to failures. P5 transfers are not all the same. If I'm a good player sitting behind 2 NFL-caliber players, does it mean I suck? Some players are homesick, some players are clashing with a bad coaching staff, and some players want to leave a traumatic event and start fresh. You also have P5 grad transfers that may not have started, but played a crapload of games and is physically at their peak.

Andre Hall - RB 2004-2005 (NFL FA) back to back 1,000 yd seasons

Jaquain Wiliams - LB 2009-2010 (NFL drafted Giants 6th rd - won SB with JPP)

David Bedford - DE 2008-2010

Craig Marshall - DE 2008-2010

Kion Wilson - LB 2008-2009 (NFL FA)

Claude Davis - DE 2010-2011

Tevin Mims - DE 2012-2013

Jamie "Angry" Byrd - DB 2014-2015

Jhalyn Shuler - LB 2022- Current (Best Defensive player IMO)

There are several others that were solid role players. Clearly there seems to be a theme with successful JUCO players...They need to play defense

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2