• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Todd Orlando

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,417
  • Days Won:  3

5 hours ago, Bullrush33 said:

Good coaches make adjustments. This guy cant survive unless it has certain types of players. Given that most coaches dont get more than 3 years if Todd doesnt produce next year he is gone anyways. We cant wait on certain types of players to get here. 

Who does he have to make adjustments with? Yes, we need certain types of players. That would be players that don't get out played every ******* play. That freshman looked promising. 

• Upvote 3

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  0
  • Content Count:  53
  • Days Won:  0

On 11/18/2023 at 9:51 AM, BDYZR said:

Actually, IIRC, the coach at either Baylor or Boise, said they do exactly that. They recruit fast guys from the track team and teach them to be DB's. Although it doesn't seem to work to well trying to convert a WR.

I wish someone could explain to me the reasoning behind lining up 20 yds off the line of scrimmage and back pedaling at the snap? I do understand the concept of a single high safety, but...

Exactly,it doesn't do any good to blitz if you're going to let the wide receivers release off the line of scrimmage uncontested.

• Topic Count:  108
  • Content Count:  2,484
  • Days Won:  1

The best players on Defense this year (IMO):

LB - Shuler, Gordon (Harris has come on strong recently)

DB - Brown, Evans, Stokes (Ward will be solid IMO, only RS FR)

DL - Cheney, Ross, Logan

I think Shuler is our best player on defense this season

The lack of depth and team speed is noticeable. The DB's look outclassed just about every week. I don't think that is coaching...I think it is ability. Golesh kinda says so every press conference in a very nice way. 

I think we need to give Orlando at least another season. There has to be improvement next year to get another year. His track record shows he knows what the hell he is doing. This is more than just scheme. It's tough...Do you change the scheme to fit what you have while trying to recruit to what you want to do? Sounds easy but what can you show the recruits what you are doing right now? Show them how they fit the role you are recruiting them for.

I say play your scheme. Shows the recruits where they can come in and compete right away. Plus you aren't trying to teach the returning players so much and now you have upper classmen with knowledge to share with the incoming players. Players coaching players. 

It just takes time. I don't care how the schedule is different...they are 5-6 in 2023 after winning just 4 games from 2020-2022. The change is evident but the work is not done. They are building a program, not a season. That takes continuity. A foundation. Changing coaches each season will get nowhere.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  5
  • Content Count:  3,374
  • Days Won:  5

12 hours ago, Mister Armstrong said:

Exactly,it doesn't do any good to blitz if you're going to let the wide receivers release off the line of scrimmage uncontested.

and it doesn't do any good to sit back and play zone if the QB has all day to pick us apart.  It doesn't do any good to contest at the line if the WRs run right by the db

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

All I need to know about the defense is to watch some of the absolute moon shots Frank Harris threw that only went about 25 yards downfield and some of our guys still didn't have the speed to close on them. I'm willing to give Orlando another year because A) there are very few "dogs" on this team. That talent and depth are not where they need to be. And B) going to a 4th DC in 4 years is going to help with the same level of talent either.

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,201
  • Days Won:  2

Just now, GoBulls84 said:

All I need to know about the defense is to watch some of the absolute moon shots Frank Harris threw that only went about 25 yards downfield and some of our guys still didn't have the speed to close on them. I'm willing to give Orlando another year because A) there are very few "dogs" on this team. That talent and depth are not where they need to be. And B) going to a 4th DC in 4 years is going to help with the same level of talent either.

We need some stability at defense. I'll say when they can make the tackle they usually do unlike last year they were much worse making tackles. 

Still don't think next year's defense will be great as it will be young but we should start to see some improvement though. 

• Topic Count:  486
  • Content Count:  12,475
  • Days Won:  25

7 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

We need some stability at defense. I'll say when they can make the tackle they usually do unlike last year they were much worse making tackles. 

Still don't think next year's defense will be great as it will be young but we should start to see some improvement though. 

DB's cannot be worse or slower next year. If they are then Golesh and Orlando are not outworking everybody. I'll take a young guy with speed showing improvement over the slow guys we have now.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9,898
  • Content Count:  66,091
  • Days Won:  172

hire jack del rio as defensive assistant

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  64
  • Content Count:  9,756
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, smazza said: