• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

USF's Joey Johnston on FL FB Insiders

• Group:  Moderator
  • Topic Count:  1,615
  • Content Count:  74,736
  • Days Won:  425

10 hours ago, Triple B said:

Didn't realize he had offers ......

8 hours ago, John Lewis said:

Pretty sure he was rumored to GT.

A little surprising if he actually turned them down. In these days and times, hard to imagine a program these days looking to someone who took 7 years to build something .......

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  7
  • Content Count:  10,918
  • Days Won:  67

10 hours ago, bullsbucsfan426 said:

It's not just the wins. It's how he managed to completely turn a team of guys who spent last year getting blown out on a regular basis into an immediately competitive team that not only played up to Alabama but has blown away teams and repeatedly made critical plays in crucial moments. 

It is either this guy is Bear Bryant or the last guy was the worst coach in the history of college sports, I am thinking closer to option 2 however CAG has been impressive. This team shows up prepared and hungry which was the polar opposite of the last few years. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  3,686
  • Days Won:  14

7 hours ago, Triple B said:

A little surprising if he actually turned them down. In these days and times, hard to imagine a program these days looking to someone who took 7 years to build something .......

It apparently took Fritz six years to have that magical run with Tulane in 2022. But he was still 41-45 overall, even at that point. And it's not totally clear that he was actually offered the Georgia Tech job, although media reports strongly suggest he was (GT went with an interim coach, Brent Key, instead). 

I think the concerns about Golesh leaving sooner rather than later are valid. Yes, he's only 3-2 at this point, but what he's been able to do in literally one season is pretty impressive. That fact, plus his amazing turnaround jobs at prior stops like Tennessee, will make him a hot commodity. Clearly the man knows what he's doing, which is more than what we can say for most new head football coaches.

All that said, I'm optimistic we can hold on to him for a while - at least long enough to build a true culture of success at USF, something similar to what Boise has. And who knows? Maybe he'll love it here (it is Florida after all) and settle in, especially if USF somehow gets into an auto-bid conference in the meantime. 

• Go Bulls! 1

• Group:  Bull Backers
  • Topic Count:  194
  • Content Count:  6,785
  • Days Won:  3

15 hours ago, TallyBull said:

if USF somehow gets into an auto-bid conference

I think that's pretty much what it would take to be in a position where coaches stick around for a while; U of SF being less of a way station and more of a destination. 

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  22
  • Content Count:  8,722
  • Days Won:  23

16 hours ago, TallyBull said:

It apparently took Fritz six years to have that magical run with Tulane in 2022. But he was still 41-45 overall, even at that point. And it's not totally clear that he was actually offered the Georgia Tech job, although media reports strongly suggest he was (GT went with an interim coach, Brent Key, instead). 

I think the concerns about Golesh leaving sooner rather than later are valid. Yes, he's only 3-2 at this point, but what he's been able to do in literally one season is pretty impressive. That fact, plus his amazing turnaround jobs at prior stops like Tennessee, will make him a hot commodity. Clearly the man knows what he's doing, which is more than what we can say for most new head football coaches.

All that said, I'm optimistic we can hold on to him for a while - at least long enough to build a true culture of success at USF, something similar to what Boise has. And who knows? Maybe he'll love it here (it is Florida after all) and settle in, especially if USF somehow gets into an auto-bid conference in the meantime. 

I know everybody hates the times but this was an interesting read.

WWW.TAMPABAY.COM

Billy Napier is “very patient and calculated,” while Alex Golesh wants to be as good as possible as fast as he can.

• Go Bulls! 2

• Topic Count:  44
  • Content Count:  2,035
  • Days Won:  20

22 hours ago, Friscobull said:

It is either this guy is Bear Bryant or the last guy was the worst coach in the history of college sports, I am thinking closer to option 2 however CAG has been impressive. This team shows up prepared and hungry which was the polar opposite of the last few years. 

Could be both. ICJS is objectively one of the worst head coaches of the past 30+ years — he had a 0.133 record, took a bad team and made it worse, and failed to show any improvement after 3 seasons.

On the other hand, CAG took that team, tuned it up with transfers, and looks to have completely overhauled the culture and attitude of the football program. With any luck, after today CAG will have exceeded the win total of the entire CJS tenure midway through his first year.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,140
  • Days Won:  39

On 10/5/2023 at 10:03 PM, Triple B said:

Didn't realize he had offers ......

Yeah I thought he was rumored for GT?  Or somewhere.