• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Game 1 Aftermath

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,466
  • Days Won:  43

2 hours ago, Rizman said:

Ok, good point.  However, new coach at UAB, they might be transitioning like we are.

Yeah but that new coach at UAB may end up being a home run hire. I got USF losing to UAB this season but have us getting at least 6 wins. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  360
  • Content Count:  4,166
  • Days Won:  56

6 hours ago, Rizman said:

Houston just barely beat UTSA.   I agree it is going to be difficult.  I think the Rice game will be key to us having a positive season.  

I was under the impression that UTSA might just be better than Houston this season, so that one doesn’t bother me.

Edited by Dave_Glaser

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,109
  • Days Won:  39

1 hour ago, jjlovecub said:

Or the player needs to adapt 

They will but it might take a minute.

• Topic Count:  604
  • Content Count:  16,466
  • Days Won:  43

44 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I was under the impression that UTSA might just be better than Houston this season, so that one doesn’t bother me.

That is two seasons in a row that UTSA probably should of beat Houston.  

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

18 hours ago, Outlaw said:

Good-I was surprised with the fast start on offense and defense. We scored on the first drive and made a stop on the first drive.  The running game looked good, but a lot of yards of broken plays too. The defense looked better until the 2nd half of the game. The tackling and coverages were improved, but the pass rush is lacking. 

Bad- The offense is not ready to move this fast. The receivers were not able to get separation or run good routes consistently. The offensive line is really bad at pass protecting and the pocket is so small because of it. The defense was on the field faster than needed to be because of the three and outs. Brown had a bad game from quarterback but the offensive line did him zero favors. We are not going to win many games with that qb play, wr play, and offensive line play. We really should have called a time out, ran the ball, and changed qbs after the big hit he took in the red zone. The offense is going to be really run heavy again until the offensive line and receivers gel. 

I didn't expect to win, but I expected to see better coaching when the game got out of hand. The veteran coach let Goach blow his load early and show his tricks, and then Helton made adjustments. Goach was not able to make adjustments to WKU to put his team in a position to win. I expect USF to beat FAMU and lose to Bama. I hope Goach has the offense and team firing on all cylinders come conference play. The loss really hurt Goach and the team. I hope he hates losing as much as me and molds these bulls into winners ASAP.

Holy ****. This might be the most measured, level-headed takes I've ever seen you post. I actually agree with about 95 percent of this (other than I don't think Goach "blew his load" early, I think we just stopped executing on the easy stuff). I do think Goach uses the FAMU game to get things straightened out, at least for the week. Unfortunately, unless we lose to FAMU, we're not gonna know a whole lot more about this team after FAMU/Bama then we know right now. Week 4 will be where we really start to learn about this team.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  9
  • Content Count:  1,215
  • Days Won:  1

On 9/3/2023 at 11:31 AM, 350_BULL said:

Biggest take away for me was the runs up the middle CONSECUTIVELY. I don't mind one, but two in a row to gain two yards hurts. Sets up a tough long 3rd down.

Bad part is by the time we are 3 and out the other defense isn't even tired in spite of our fast paced offense.

Worst part is with such a fast offense we end up giving the ball back after taking like 30 seconds off the game clock. I like the fast pace at times but you need to work the clock sometimes especially against that type of QB who won't make many mistakes.

Having a vertical run game (between the tackles) is a staple of this offense. It’s a benefit of the wide splits by the WRs.

Every run play looks bad when you don’t block it correctly.