• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

The Athletic: Is Alex Golesh the right coach at the right time for USF? ‘We found our fit’

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  67
  • Content Count:  2,409
  • Days Won:  22

0712_CFB_USFAlexGolesh.jpg
THEATHLETIC.COM

USF is now No. 5 in the pecking order in its own state. How can the Bulls become relevant on the national landscape?

“This is not a Group of 5 job,” Golesh said. “How we feed our kids and how we train our kids from a facility standpoint, this ain’t Group of 5. I’m not recruiting against Group of 5 schools. We’ve got the highest salary pool in this league. I wouldn’t be here if it wasn’t what it is. … I gotta go beat alleged Power 5 schools for kids or we’re not recruiting the right kids. We’re just not.

At his core, Golesh believes his strength as a coach is evaluating recruits — knowing who to take and, just as important, not to take. He said recruiting and the transfer portal are the first things he and his staff discuss every day. 

“For us, Florida and Georgia have to be where it all starts,” Golesh said. “My unique background is the fact that I’ve recruited high school areas, but I’ve recruited junior college ball forever. That’s really kind of how I made my niche — junior college and transfers throughout my years.”

Where Scott dropped the ball was high school and junior college recruiting. Only 13 of the 45 he signed started a game for the Bulls, and only 22 are still on the roster.

Golesh said he had dinner with Jim Leavitt and met with Willie Taggart shortly after getting the job. Honoring the past is one thing, Golesh said, but spending a lot of energy trying to recreate what Leavitt and Taggart accomplished as head coaches in Tampa is pointless. It’s a different era in college football, and Golesh said there’s only so much he can glean from their previous experiences.

"Golesh told me he’s going to win a national championship there. And I totally believe him.” - our top rated commit

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Go Bulls! 2

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  173
  • Content Count:  6,959
  • Days Won:  12

Celebrate South Florida GIF by USF Athletics

LFG

• Topic Count:  10
  • Content Count:  842
  • Days Won:  1

This is a good article. To beat a dead horse, if the TBT would post stuff like this, they'd have my subscription instead of the Athletic. 

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

Outside a few key players this roster is mostly Golesh players, if this portal is used well one can really get a team turned around quick if you have a good HC.

Edited by Bulls On Parade

• Topic Count:  109
  • Content Count:  21,031
  • Days Won:  38

12 minutes ago, Bulls On Parade said:

Outside a few key players this roster is mostly Golesh players, if this portal is used well one can really get a team turned around quick if you have a good HC.

That's interesting.  This is why I cannot predict at all what will happen this year.  

• Topic Count:  51
  • Content Count:  3,345
  • Days Won:  5

1 hour ago, Rocky Style said:

That's interesting.  This is why I cannot predict at all what will happen this year.  

And not should Vegas but somehow they do.

• Topic Count:  18
  • Content Count:  2,898
  • Days Won:  33

Great read and 1 of the biggest reasons I have a subscription to The Athletic.

• Like 1

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  71
  • Content Count:  12,402
  • Days Won:  25

5 hours ago, bulloni said:
0712_CFB_USFAlexGolesh.jpg
THEATHLETIC.COM

USF is now No. 5 in the pecking order in its own state. How can the Bulls become relevant on the national landscape?

All his quotes sound good but without him coaching we have zero idea if he is a complete failure like at head like the last guy or the next  Saban? I love that he believes he is going to win a championship here and I think everyone would love to see it.  Since USF has power5 faculties, deepest coaching salary pool in aac, and are competing against p5 schools for recruits the bar for success must be raised to bowling or bust. 

Edited by Outlaw