• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

Vote On OCS By Board of Governors Today

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  2,578
  • Days Won:  3

6 minutes ago, E.T. said:

I see kids from Public Schools Rock & Roll into college. I think it weighs more heavily on the student and their family.

I think states & Federal Gov't should give vouchers and end the public school system.

public-k-12-spending-per-student.png

Find out how much the U.S. spends on public education and how the costs break down per student, by state and by level of government.

My daughter goes to a college prep catholic high school and she is tutoring with an organization(Ray Dass) to help teach kids to take the SAT/ACT. The school is paying for most of it. Think in the Spring these tests will be online exclusively and the tests are now a 3 part grade instead of two.

The writing portion of those tests were so dumb. “Here is a random topic, how good are you at bullshitting?”.

I took both SAT and ACT, and scored really well on the math portion. **** English and writing portion dragged me down though

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

44 minutes ago, E.T. said:
G4LPDCGB5II6TNV2IBWI6S7HAY.jpg

The Classic Learning Test is on its way as an option instead of the SAT and ACT.

Florida’s public universities will likely be adding one more standardized test to be used as an entrance exam, adding to the SAT and ACT tests that have been accepted for years.

A committee of the state Board of Governors, meeting Wednesday at the University of South Florida in Tampa, approved the Classic Learning Test as an option for all 12 schools in the State University System. The public will have two weeks to comment on the move before the full board takes a final vote later this summer on whether to adopt the test.

img-home-hero-main.jpg

The Classic Learning Test (CLT) offers an alternative college entrance exam and assessments for 7th-12th graders.

With my limited time online, thought I read it is a test mostly used for home schooled kids going to Christian colleges. I'm sure there's more to it but since the 'guv got into a pissin match with the company that gives the SAT, something had to be done to punish them.

• Upvote 2

• Topic Count:  295
  • Content Count:  6,843
  • Days Won:  22

1 hour ago, E.T. said:
G4LPDCGB5II6TNV2IBWI6S7HAY.jpg

The Classic Learning Test is on its way as an option instead of the SAT and ACT.

Florida’s public universities will likely be adding one more standardized test to be used as an entrance exam, adding to the SAT and ACT tests that have been accepted for years.

A committee of the state Board of Governors, meeting Wednesday at the University of South Florida in Tampa, approved the Classic Learning Test as an option for all 12 schools in the State University System. The public will have two weeks to comment on the move before the full board takes a final vote later this summer on whether to adopt the test.

img-home-hero-main.jpg

The Classic Learning Test (CLT) offers an alternative college entrance exam and assessments for 7th-12th graders.

Getting rid of Public Schools would be the biggest mistake on education that this nation would ever do. As a 36 year veteran of teaching Public Schools, I find it amazing that so many are not awared of the many services those schools provide that are not available in Charter or Private Schools. The image out there that Charter and Private are much better hide the fact that most of those on vouchers will not get into good Private nor Charters. There are plenty of horrific ones just as there are bad public schools.

As for this alternate test, we’ll is political and is part of the Governors stupid battle with College Board that also runs SAT exams

1 hour ago, CousinRicky said:

With my limited time online, thought I read it is a test mostly used for home schooled kids going to Christian colleges. I'm sure there's more to it but since the 'guv got into a pissin match with the company that gives the SAT, something had to be done to punish them.

You got it right. 

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433

College Board does have too much power and influence over U.S. education IMO.

Student high school performance + school performance/state ranking consideration - should be the only metrics considered in college entrance admissions.

• Topic Count:  583
  • Content Count:  22,718
  • Days Won:  109

53 minutes ago, zarnozdabull said:

Student high school performance + school performance/state ranking consideration - should be the only metrics considered in college entrance admissions.

This is way off topic but my first thought was how it may affect the AAU status of Florida public institutions down the road. If the entrance exams aren't the "standard" could it make a difference? Here USF finally gets the recognition and now these things start happening.

• Topic Count:  410
  • Content Count:  19,525
  • Days Won:  24

13 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

But they did manage to kick the SAT and ACT to the curb.

Adding an option equates to kicking other options to the curb?  Really, Ricky?

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

1 hour ago, zarnozdabull said:

How do you compare students from different states that have different methods for evaluating schools and students or have teachers with varying grading standards?

There is a reason why education at all levels prefers standardized tests - it allows for apples to apples comparison of students.

• Upvote 3

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  12,616
  • Days Won:  25

2 hours ago, zarnozdabull said:

Yep and they also use it to push narratives , drive instruction, drive testing, and make lots of money doing it. They are unelected people determining public education policies and testing.

• Topic Count:  95
  • Content Count:  2,433

23 minutes ago, Jim Johnson said:

How do you compare students from different states that have different methods for evaluating schools and students or have teachers with varying grading standards?

There is a reason why education at all levels prefers standardized tests - it allows for apples to apples comparison of students.

Especially the apples with parents that can afford private tutors and prep necessary to prepare them for the one standardized test to rule them all.

Those other apples, keep them away.

• Topic Count:  1,834
  • Content Count:  5,486
  • Days Won:  13

Just now, zarnozdabull said:

Especially the apples with parents that can afford private tutors and prep necessary to prepare them for the one standardized test to rule them all.

Those other apples, keep them away.

Well, there are two tests... and in half the country, the other one is more popular.

And those same privileges help regardless whether a standardized test is required or not.

Perhaps LSAT, GMAT, MCAT and other graduate placement tests should also be abandoned an just use university performance and rankings for admittance into graduate, law, and medical schools?

• Upvote 1