• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WBB New Additions

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

2 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I like Aarnio at either position. I am just saying that she is a better point guard than Wilson. In games where Tsineke got in foul trouble, it seems like Aarnio was the sub. So, maybe the goal was to take over for Tsineke when she graduated. 

I hope that we can get another capable big at least 6'3", preferably taller, because I would like to Johansson develop her game. I think she has the potential to be great. If it were up to me, based on the players we know about so far, my starting five would be:

PG: Aarnio

SG: Puisis

Center: Johansson

F: Levy and Lutje

This would be a big, fast, awesome shooting lineup. I think our lineup was too small last year. Besides Dulcy and Puisis (6'1"), nobody was taller than 5'11". Our two guards were 5'7". Tsineke often got her shot blocked by guards who were guarding her at 5'11" and taller. And the two teams that we struggled against (Villanova and USC) were much taller. Villanova did not have players that were very tall; I think the shortest player was 5'11" but everyone else was between 6'1" and 6'3". Height and Wilson were our weaknesses last year.

On another note, Puisis should spend the offseason developing her skills as a ballhandler and scoring while driving to the basket. Outside of her 3p-shooting skills, I would say that she is below average as a scorer as she struggled to create her own shot.

You make a lot of good points. I think our ideal starting 5 right now (pending the formal announcement of the other new players) would be:
PG: Asensio
SF: Brito
PF: Lutje 
C : Johansson 

I will take Brito over Levy at this point. Although Levy is 6'3'', Brito averaged more rebounds per game. I like Brito's aggressive play. 

I do like the depth that we are building. Aside from Puisis, who you rightfully point out needs to be able to create her own shot, I don't think we have any bona fide stars on this team, but it is shaping up to have some impressive depth.   Having a bench of Aarnio, Alvarez, Wilson or Asensio, Gonzalez, Levy, McGee (if she can come back from injury) plus the other 4 players we have coming into the program, really sets up for one of the deeper USF lineups in recent memory. We absolutely need another center though, as I don't think Johansson is quite there just yet. I expect her to be a force by her Junior season.  

• Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,113
  • Days Won:  56

2 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

You make a lot of good points. I think our ideal starting 5 right now (pending the formal announcement of the other new players) would be:

I will take Brito over Levy at this point. Although Levy is 6'3'', Brito averaged more rebounds per game. I like Brito's aggressive play. 

I do like the depth that we are building. Aside from Puisis, who you rightfully point out needs to be able to create her own shot, I don't think we have any bona fide stars on this team, but it is shaping up to have some impressive depth.   Having a bench of Aarnio, Alvarez, Wilson or Asensio, Gonzalez, Levy, McGee (if she can come back from injury) plus the other 4 players we have coming into the program, really sets up for one of the deeper USF lineups in recent memory. We absolutely need another center though, as I don't think Johansson is quite there just yet. I expect her to be a force by her Junior season.  

Daniela Gonzalez needs more love. She's going to be a starter on this team at some point and a significant player before she leaves. I was surprised at how flat her shot was last year because she once made NINE threes in a game as a prep. Her free throws looked like Shae Leverett's - line drive. Always wondered why they never got Shae to work on that arc? In any event, mark it down, Daniela is going to be a very good player for us for the next three years.  

• Like 1

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  770
  • Days Won:  2

7 minutes ago, BullyPulpit said:

Comparing Brito and Levy by stats is not valid. I saw a few clips of Levy to see that she and Aarnio are the two most talented players on the roster. I think you are seriously underestimating Aarnio.

2 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

Daniela Gonzalez needs more love. She's going to be a starter on this team at some point and a significant player before she leaves. I was surprised at how flat her shot was last year because she once made NINE threes in a game as a prep. Her free throws looked like Shae Leverett's - line drive. Always wondered why they never got Shae to work on that arc? In any event, mark it down, Daniela is going to be a very good player for us for the next three years.  

I prefer Gonzalez over Brito.

• Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,113
  • Days Won:  56

3 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

Comparing Brito and Levy by stats is not valid. I saw a few clips of Levy to see that she and Aarnio are the two most talented players on the roster. I think you are seriously underestimating Aarnio.

I prefer Gonzalez over Brito.

I think Brito will make the splash play at times, but Gonzalez will ultimately be steady and reliable.

7 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I saw a few clips of Levy

Here is an interview with Levy, with a few highlights thrown in.

Brito does not have these skills to score and defend.

4 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

I think Brito will make the splash play at times, but Gonzalez will ultimately be steady and reliable.

I think Brito thinks she is better than she is. She is not athletically gifted and is not a good shooter. I saw Coach JF rightfully pull her out of games for turning the ball over when showboating. Per announcers last year, she refers to herself as the female Luka Doncic, which is not even close.

Just now, panchosanchez99 said:

I think Brito thinks she is better than she is. She is not athletically gifted and is not a good shooter. I saw Coach JF rightfully pull her out of games for turning the ball over when showboating. Per announcers last year, she refers to herself as the female Luka Doncic, which is not even close.

I forgot to mention that Coach JF seems to think highly of her and Wilson. I am not sure if it is a commitment thing, where you commit to players and don't want to bench them for underperforming.

• Topic Count:  34
  • Content Count:  1,729
  • Days Won:  0

I'm a Brito fan. She brings tons of flare and hustle while also scoring, rebounding, and passing great. It's entertaining and, more importantly, helps inspire the rest of the team play harder. Don't forget how young she was last season.

I for one can't wait to see some more USF women's hoops next season. I trust in Jose and staff that the newcomers will only help keep the Bulls train rolling full stream. 🤘

• Topic Count:  2
  • Content Count:  222
  • Days Won:  0

6 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I like Brito’s hustle, but I think that she has some maturing to do. I think that she is only 18. In Orlando last year, there was an incident when she missed a basket. She slammed the mat under the basket, said an expletive, and stormed off the end of the court. CJF ripped her a newer one for not conducting herself appropriately.

Agree with others that Asensio is the logical replacement for Wilson. Thought that she played better than Wilson at times. 

Nice to see that CJF is reloading again, and trying to get to the second weekend of the tournament 

Go Bulls

• Topic Count:  74
  • Content Count:  2,461
  • Days Won:  19

The PG battle reminds me of back when Lia Flores was starting to get the minutes from Stringfield. (both very good PGs for us) 

My prediction - Ariel Wilson (barring injury) is the starter all year long, but at the end of the year Asencio will have played more minutes.