• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

WBB New Additions

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,680
  • Days Won:  108

2 hours ago, Mike Stuben said:

The PG battle reminds me of back when Lia Flores was starting to get the minutes from Stringfield. (both very good PGs for us) 

My prediction - Ariel Wilson (barring injury) is the starter all year long, but at the end of the year Asencio will have played more minutes. 

May depend how much offense we need out of the PG position. 

• Like 1

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  365
  • Content Count:  6,466
  • Days Won:  35

2 hours ago, CousinRicky said:

May depend how much offense we need out of the PG position. 

This is the key. We didn't need scoring from the PG position last year. This year, there will be more of a need for it. I think Wilson begins the season as the starter, but will ultimately be supplanted by Asensio. 

Wednesday's announced new addition is L'or Eyeba Mputu, a 6'2" forward originally from the Congo that transferred in from Eastern Florida State College. She averages 12.3 ppg and 6.7 rpg, shooting 61.5% last season (albeit at a much lower level of competition). USF is the United Nations of college hoops, with the international breakdown as follows: USA(x3), Spain (x2), Netherlands, Finland, Columbia, Canada, Sweden, Italy, and Democratic Republic of Congo. 

• Topic Count:  357
  • Content Count:  4,113
  • Days Won:  56

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

Wednesday's announced new addition is L'or Eyeba Mputu, a 6'2" forward originally from the Congo that transferred in from Eastern Florida State College. She averages 12.3 ppg and 6.7 rpg, shooting 61.5% last season (albeit at a much lower level of competition). USF is the United Nations of college hoops, with the international breakdown as follows: USA(x3), Spain (x2), Netherlands, Finland, Columbia, Canada, Sweden, Italy, and Democratic Republic of Congo. 

Signed with Cincinnati last fall . . . 

• Topic Count:  30
  • Content Count:  770
  • Days Won:  2

1 hour ago, BullyPulpit said:

This is the key. We didn't need scoring from the PG position last year. This year, there will be more of a need for it. I think Wilson begins the season as the starter, but will ultimately be supplanted by Asensio. 

I am guessing you did not watch many games last year. We absolutely needed scoring from the PG position last year. If any of the other guards were in the lineup, we would have probably head into the tournament as a 1-loss team (to Villanova). If you had seen the games, you would have seen teams leaving Wilson wide open in order to double-team Tsineke and Dulcy. You would have also seen, with the shot clock running down, teammates avoiding the pass to a wide open Wilson to take the shot themselves while being heavily guarded. You could actually see players looking to find someone, look in Wilson's direction on the other side of the court wide open and not pass to her. This was an indication that the whole team knew that they had a better chance scoring while being guarded than to pass to a wide open Wilson. When you lose games because teams guard 5 on 4 to limit Dulcy's and Elena's scoring, we definitely needed scoring from Wilson last year.

The other weakness we had last year, that I have mentioned before, was lack of height. We pretty much played with only one player at a time in the lineup at over 6'1". Dulcy and Johansson when she subbed for Dulcy. And other than Puisis, we had no other player with significant playing time that was taller than 5'11" on the floor. As I mentioned before, our two blowout losses came against teams that had a significant height advantage. While we outrebounded Villanova (due to Dulcy's 17 rebounds and being the tallest player on the court), the height disadvantage showed up on both ends of the floor. We had difficulty stopping them because of the matchups, and they had an easy time stopping us for the same reason. They had 5'9" and 5'11" guards matching up against our two 5'7" guards. And their other players were 6'0" (for which Brito was no match) and two 6'2" players. Elena was 5/15, Brito was 2/8, Puisis was 1/6 from long distance, and Wilson and the entire bench was scoreless.

Our lack of height, I imagine, especially early in the season, was the reason why we defended with just arms straight up with no attempt to defend. Teams knew this from their scouting reports. In addition to not worrying about Wilson as a scorer, they knew that we did not defend. In the pre-game locker room speech by Texas' coach, he told his team to take good shots because USF only played "arm robber" defense, holding his arms straight up in the air as he says this.

The biggest weakness when it came to height was Brito, who could not guard anyone her height or taller. In most games, Brito was guarding players 6' to 6'2", and these players scored easily on her. It should be no surprise that CJF is bringing in players this year to address this issue. So far, we know of two 6'2" and one 6'3" players coming in. If we had these players last year, we would have been a top 10 team, in my opinion. We will see who the other two players are; Romi Levy, whom I am guessing is one of the six players to be announced this week, was already announced four weeks ago. 

My guess is that Brito will see a lot less playing time this year.

5 minutes ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I am guessing you did not watch many games last year. We absolutely needed scoring from the PG position last year. If any of the other guards were in the lineup, we would have probably head into the tournament as a 1-loss team (to Villanova). If you had seen the games, you would have seen teams leaving Wilson wide open in order to double-team Tsineke and Dulcy. You would have also seen, with the shot clock running down, teammates avoiding the pass to a wide open Wilson to take the shot themselves while being heavily guarded. You could actually see players looking to find someone, look in Wilson's direction on the other side of the court wide open and not pass to her. This was an indication that the whole team knew that they had a better chance scoring while being guarded than to pass to a wide open Wilson. When you lose games because teams guard 5 on 4 to limit Dulcy's and Elena's scoring, we definitely needed scoring from Wilson last year.

The other weakness we had last year, that I have mentioned before, was lack of height. We pretty much played with only one player at a time in the lineup at over 6'1". Dulcy and Johansson when she subbed for Dulcy. And other than Puisis, we had no other player with significant playing time that was taller than 5'11" on the floor. As I mentioned before, our two blowout losses came against teams that had a significant height advantage. While we outrebounded Villanova (due to Dulcy's 17 rebounds and being the tallest player on the court), the height disadvantage showed up on both ends of the floor. We had difficulty stopping them because of the matchups, and they had an easy time stopping us for the same reason. They had 5'9" and 5'11" guards matching up against our two 5'7" guards. And their other players were 6'0" (for which Brito was no match) and two 6'2" players. Elena was 5/15, Brito was 2/8, Puisis was 1/6 from long distance, and Wilson and the entire bench was scoreless.

Our lack of height, I imagine, especially early in the season, was the reason why we defended with just arms straight up with no attempt to defend. Teams knew this from their scouting reports. In addition to not worrying about Wilson as a scorer, they knew that we did not defend. In the pre-game locker room speech by Texas' coach, he told his team to take good shots because USF only played "arm robber" defense, holding his arms straight up in the air as he says this.

The biggest weakness when it came to height was Brito, who could not guard anyone her height or taller. In most games, Brito was guarding players 6' to 6'2", and these players scored easily on her. It should be no surprise that CJF is bringing in players this year to address this issue. So far, we know of two 6'2" and one 6'3" players coming in. If we had these players last year, we would have been a top 10 team, in my opinion. We will see who the other two players are; Romi Levy, whom I am guessing is one of the six players to be announced this week, was already announced four weeks ago. 

You seem fairly knowledgeable, but the "you must not watch" and "you should know this" crud in your posts is pretty off-putting. Just some friendly advice: Post your opinions, but you don't need to degrade other posters in the process. Rules of engagement: You = fail

5 minutes ago, Dave_Glaser said:

You seem fairly knowledgeable, but the "you must not watch" and "you should know this" crud in your posts is pretty off-putting. Just some friendly advice: Post your opinions, but you don't need to degrade other posters in the process. Rules of engagement: You = fail

I did not say that at all. I wrote, "I am guessing you did not watch many games last year." This statement is not degrading. You should follow your own advice because you have made some degrading comments towards me and let them pass.

1 minute ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I did not say that at all. I wrote, "I am guessing you did not watch many games last year." This statement is not degrading. You should follow your own advice because you have made some degrading comments towards me and let them pass.

"If you had seen the games, you would have seen teams leaving Wilson wide open in order to double-team Tsineke and Dulcy. You would have also seen, with the shot clock running down . . . "

How do you know what he saw or didn't see? And what make your observations more valid than his? Let me answer: NOTHING

I know you didn't like it when I questioned you comparing high school competition in North Carolina to Big XII competition, but that was hardly "degrading" to you personally.

No need for you to respond, because this will be our last interaction on this board.

1 minute ago, Dave_Glaser said:

"If you had seen the games, you would have seen teams leaving Wilson wide open in order to double-team Tsineke and Dulcy. You would have also seen, with the shot clock running down . . . "

How do you know what he saw or didn't see? And what make your observations more valid than his? Let me answer: NOTHING

I know you didn't like it when I questioned you comparing high school competition in North Carolina to Big XII competition, but that was hardly "degrading" to you personally.

No need for you to respond, because this will be our last interaction on this board.

How do you know I did not like it? It is because you knew you were insulting me, correct? Follow your own advice. And getting the last word in is so immature. But it is okay, I don't care to respond to any more of your posts either, despite the fact that I tried to show that I am a good sport by saying good things about some of your posts.

3 hours ago, panchosanchez99 said:

I watched a lot of the women's games last season. We didn't "need" Wilson to score in most games in order to win. That was my larger point. We will need point production from the position this season and Wilson has not shown an ability to provide any. 

I won't argue with you that we were undersized last season, and that CJF is addressing that lack of height, but rebounding is about more than just size. Brito is a decent rebounder and defender for a #3, but she was forced to essentially play as a #4. If you look at my prediction for the starting lineup next year you will see that I move her to the #3, which is a more natural fit for her.  She is young, but plays with heart and passion. If she is going to take the next step, she will have to mature, and I believe that she will. To say that the 5'11'' Brito is "no match" for a 6'0'' player is a little bit foolish. I can highlight games where she was guarding and guarded by players taller than her and she fared well. 

I look forward to the added height and depth.