• USF Bulls fans join us at The Bulls Pen

It's simple, free and connects you to other South Florida Bulls fans!

• Members do not see this ad, Register

NCAA Approves Running clock after 1st down

• Group:  TBP Subscriber III
  • Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

1 hour ago, jjlovecub said:

People today have zero attention spans. We want everything to be quicker. Do we not go to baseball games and football games to enjoy them? I have absolutely zero desire for my college football games to go faster. Hey, I’m really enjoying myself. Let’s speed this up and get it over with??

Couple of things. With the reviews and challenges it has added time to games. I show up to tailgate 3.5 hours or so before the game which means we weren't putting together all the stuff 5 hours before the game. After a 4 hour game we get home at midnight, let's say for a 7 pm game, and then have to unpack and put all the stuff away. So, if I'm not being entertained by the game I'm out of there when the outcome isn't in doubt. My life, my choices.  Getting closer to 70 every day and appreciate that our &drew Bull has taken over the lion's share of the work.

When we were at ND and beating them and had the 2 huge delays I stuck it out to the end because is was fun, interesting, entertaining.

Haven't seen anything like that in years at Ray Jay. 

Edited by CousinRicky
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

6 minutes ago, CousinRicky said:

Couple of things. With the reviews and challenges it has added time to games. I show up to tailgate 3.5 hours or so before the game which means we weren't putting together all the stuff 5 hours before the game. After a 4 hour game we get home at midnight, let's say for a 7 pm game, and then have to unpack and put all the stuff away. So, if I'm not being entertained by the game I'm out of there when the outcome isn't in doubt. My life, my choices.  Getting closer to 70 every day and appreciate that our &drew Bull has taken over the lion's share of the work.

When we were at ND and beating them and had the 2 huge delays I stuck it out to the end because is was fun, interesting, entertaining.

Haven't seen anything like that in years at Ray Jay. 

This is 100% true! I was there as well, and gladly stayed to the end. But I was thoroughly enjoying myself even with the delays I miss those days.

• Group:  Member
  • Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

13 hours ago, Brad said:

I never understood the idea of speeding up a game (especially baseball).  If you just want to see meaningless action, watch the NBA.  If you don't have time for a football game, no one is making you stay.  Leave.  I never once thought the experience of the game was "too long".  And I was in South Bend for the victory (enjoying every minute)!

Unfortunately, telling your attendees to leave (or not even show up) doesn't really bring in much revenue. Forcing someone to sit through an extended game because of too many reviews and other things that have slowed down sports over the years turns off the "fan" who may or may not decide to pay money and go to a game based on how their previous game day experience made them feel. Yes, feel. Life in 2023 is all about how the lowest common denominator feels. So, because of the breakdown of the human psyche and, subsequently, societal norms, industries are reacting because of noticeable trends (AKA declining revenues). We are in a transitionary time in modern human history and the time we are living allows us to be apart of the transition of humans into fluffy mole people. Many of us who reject all these new fluffy mole people ideas are frustrated, but the transitions that don't get pushed back on, get implemented, creating a New Normal for young people with delicate brains who will grow up not knowing any different.

• Upvote 1

• Topic Count:  127
  • Content Count:  2,118
  • Days Won:  1

6 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

Unfortunately, telling your attendees to leave (or not even show up) doesn't really bring in much revenue. Forcing someone to sit through an extended game because of too many reviews and other things that have slowed down sports over the years turns off the "fan" who may or may not decide to pay money and go to a game based on how their previous game day experience made them feel. Yes, feel. Life in 2023 is all about how the lowest common denominator feels. So, because of the breakdown of the human psyche and, subsequently, societal norms, industries are reacting because of noticeable trends (AKA declining revenues). We are in a transitionary time in modern human history and the time we are living allows us to be apart of the transition of humans into fluffy mole people. Many of us who reject all these new fluffy mole people ideas are frustrated, but the transitions that don't get pushed back on, get implemented, creating a New Normal for young people with delicate brains who will grow up not knowing any different.

All the more reason to not cater to it

• Haha 1

• Group:  Admin
  • Topic Count:  13,332
  • Content Count:  97,019
  • Days Won:  469

8 hours ago, USFBulls12 said:

Forcing someone to sit

:roflmao:

Maybe in the diversity training we should include information regarding one’s personal time commitment to a sport that lasts longer than a Naruto episode.  

• Haha 1

• Topic Count:  23
  • Content Count:  10,199
  • Days Won:  2

On 4/22/2023 at 10:10 AM, Triple B said:

Ok, shockingly I can't remember exactly how this worked. When a first down was made, was the clock stopped and then restarted with the beginning of the next play ..... or clock stopped and restarted when the official set the ball down and motioned to restart?

Pretty sure restarted when official set ball down. So I don't see this taking off alot of time from the game.

• Topic Count:  62
  • Content Count:  3,698
  • Days Won:  7

Honestly a stupid idea (because it caters to those young people who live from one instagram picture to the next) but there needs to be multiple instagram-worthy spots at or near the new stadium to get the mole people to show up for their pictures. I don’t mean a forced spot that’s clearly an Instagram Photo Booth but rather spots like the Bulls fountain at the student center. That’s a kind of spot that I’m sure regularly has a ton of pics taken on campus. Need to maximize those kind of places around the new sports complex. All I’m suggesting is making beautifully designed locations throughout that are “gram-worthy” for the airheads but also for the rest of us to see and enjoy as aesthetically pleasing. 

• Topic Count:  582
  • Content Count:  22,685
  • Days Won:  108

Pro football has survived just fine without stopping the clock after every first down. I'd be fine if they started the clock after an incomplete pass and they spotted the ball. 

• Topic Count:  43
  • Content Count:  3,899
  • Days Won:  8

On 4/22/2023 at 9:47 AM, jjlovecub said:

People today have zero attention spans. We want everything to be quicker. Do we not go to baseball games and football games to enjoy them? I have absolutely zero desire for my college football games to go faster. Hey, I’m really enjoying myself. Let’s speed this up and get it over with??

Unfortunately, it's not for the folks attending the game. They're trying to appease the folks watching from home.

On 4/22/2023 at 10:10 AM, Triple B said:

Ok, shockingly I can't remember exactly how this worked. When a first down was made, was the clock stopped and then restarted with the beginning of the next play ..... or clock stopped and restarted when the official set the ball down and motioned to restart?

Clock stopped when first downs were made, and then started back up when the chains are set and the official motions to start the clock.

• Group:  TBP Subscriber
  • Topic Count:  19
  • Content Count:  3,398
  • Days Won:  3

3 hours ago, GoBulls84 said:

Unfortunately, it's not for the folks attending the game. They're trying to appease the folks watching from home.

Hmm. i think most of the griping from all fans is the extended TV timeouts/delays that seem never ending.